The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Timeout question

BJV game. V team has ball in their front court, I'm Trail in front of their bench. V team releases a shot. As the ball is hitting the rim, their HC is requesting a timeout. V player catches the rebound maybe one second after he is requesting the timeout, so as he gains PC, I grant the timeout. Coach flips. Can't figure out why I would grant a timeout since he "Only wanted it if it went in". I told him I can't read his mind and since he requested it, I granted it when his player gained control. I told him that if I didn't grant it and he still wanted it, he would be upset too because I didn't give it to him. My partner said I handled it right. Any thoughts?

Last edited by zm1283; Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 12:18am.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:17am
certified Hot Mom tester

If he requests it during a time in which he cannot have it, ignore the request and wait for a request during a time in which he can have it.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
If he requests it during a time in which he cannot have it, ignore the request and wait for a request during a time in which he can have it.
Got it. Looking back, that's what I would have done, but when the game is going on it's a different story.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Yep, yep.

http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...3&postcount=68

PLAY: (a) A1 or (b) B1 is preparing to shoot the second of two FTs. While A1 is holding the ball, Coach A tells the official, "I want a TO if s/he makes it." A1's FT is successful. Without any additional request from the coach, the official grants a TO to Team A. Is the official correct? (The question here is whether the Time Out has been properly requested.) No...While he/she can be aware, the coach must still request the time out at the appropriate time. Coaches have been known to change their mind.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Let me ask this - could zm1283 have just ruled an inadvertant whistle and put the ball back in play at POI?

I know 5.8.3 Sit E tells us we are to grant a TO when requested, even if a team isn't entitled to request one at that moment. But, since there wasn't a request at the time of the "granting", isn't it simply an inadvertant whistle, rather than an actual "granting" of a TO?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:04pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Let me ask this - could zm1283 have just ruled an inadvertant whistle and put the ball back in play at POI?

I know 5.8.3 Sit E tells us we are to grant a TO when requested, even if a team isn't entitled to request one at that moment. But, since there wasn't a request at the time of the "granting", isn't it simply an inadvertant whistle, rather than an actual "granting" of a TO?
I agree. Not only could have, but should have.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know 5.8.3 Sit E tells us we are to grant a TO when requested, even if a team isn't entitled to request one at that moment.
Actually, the case play states that IF a time-out request IS ERRONEOUSLY GRANTED when a team isn't entitled to ask for one, then it is charged and taken.

That's a big difference from what you wrote.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Actually, the case play states that IF a time-out request IS ERRONEOUSLY GRANTED when a team isn't entitled to ask for one, then it is charged and taken.

I remember you told me this a while back. If you grant the TO, you can't go with an inadvertent whistle. That's why I went ahead and granted it in the OP.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I thought I was saying the same thing. There has to be a request for there to be a granting. If there's no request, there's no granting, no matter how erroneously. Think of the coach yelling for the "Side out!" play, and the official blows the whistle to grant a TO. That's an inadvertant whistle, not a granting of a request.

In zm1283's case, the coach was making the request while the ball was on the rim, and zm correctly waited and did not grant the request at that time. Once the ball was secured by a player, zm blew the whistle to grant the TO, but there was no request being made at that moment. So if there's no request, it's an IW, correct? In an extreme example, let's say A has the ball and is passing the ball around in the front court. B's coach is frustrated about the defense and requests a TO. The official correctly does not blow the whistle for the TO. 10 seconds later, the ball gets thrown OOB, and the official grants B's request for a TO. I believe that would be incorrect, as there is no request being made at that moment.

That's the point I was trying to make, in that the period of time the request was made and ignored passed, then another period of time exisits where there is no request being made and the whistle is blown. In zm's case, he does say "maybe one second" passes, so I can see how it may be too close to ignore, it is still during that same time period, and the TO is granted. But there should be some judgement in allowing a period of time to pass, the situation changes, and therefore the period of time the request was made has passed.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Ok, then we were thinking the same thing, but I got a different meaning from your choice of words. I took it that you were saying that the instruction was for the official to grant the TO request, despite it being made at an improper time, instead of simply ignoring it.

Thanks for clarifying.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I got a different meaning from your choice of words.
I need to take mbyron's English class. I know I ain't very good at this writin' stuff.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 07:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Slippery when wet.

Quote:
Think of the coach yelling for the "Side out!" play, and the official blows the whistle to grant a TO. That's an inadvertent whistle, not a granting of a request.
Wasn't there a recent interpretation about this? Who can cite it first? Ready. Set. Go.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 07:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Wasn't there a recent interpretation about this? Who can cite it first? Ready. Set. Go.
There is an interpretation, but if you misheard a request for a timeout, there is no reason I see you cannot call it an inadvertent/accidental whistle.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 07:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I need to take mbyron's English class. I know I ain't very good at this writin' stuff.
And then there was the hillbilly who wanted his son to take a class in "triggernometry" because he was the worst shot in the family.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 08:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You must be present to win

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is an interpretation, but if you misheard a request for a timeout, there is no reason I see you cannot call it an inadvertent/accidental whistle.
I'm sure that Nevadaref will come with it eventually. The time it takes him to come up with an interpretation is inversely proportional to the age of the interpretation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)