The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Timeout question!

Veteran guys, Need your help!

Team B takes the ball out of bounds, after team a made a lay up. Team B gets the ball in bounds, but as soon as a player from team b receives the ball, he is trapped. While he is looking for someone to pass for. Me and my partner hear a time out being called on the bench. We give them the timout, but the coach from Team B says he was not the one that called it and he does not want one, so it should be an inadvertent whistle. My partner and I discuss it and just rule it an inadvertent whistle and bring both teams back out and play ball. I know we missed this one, but what would the correct ruling be? Thank You
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Without regard to whether the coach asked for it or not, you've granted Team B a timeout. You have to charge it.

Live and learn.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Is there anyting that says something about a player on the bench calling it? Or is the coach just going to have to deal with it that his player on the bench is the one who called it?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial
Is there anyting that says something about a player on the bench calling it? Or is the coach just going to have to deal with it that his player on the bench is the one who called it?
What BktBallRef said. Once you grant the TO, team B has to take it. Case book play 5.8.3SitE.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

But is there anything about a player on the bench calling a timeout.. Is he able to call a timeout and his request be granted, or should I not allow the timeout and play on until the coach says "Timeout"
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 02:50am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
But is there anything about a player on the bench calling a timeout.. Is he able to call a timeout and his request be granted, or should I not allow the timeout and play on until the coach says "Timeout"
Player or coach (5-8-3). A person on the bench is not a player, they are bench personnel (4-34-1, 4-34-2).

Last edited by tjones1; Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 02:57am.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 06:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
What TJones said. Only the head coach can call a TO from the bench. If you do wrongfully grant the TO request from someone else on the bench though, that team has to take the TO. Iow, from your original post, by rule you can't call it an inadvertent whistle. Team B has to take that TO once you grant it, even though you wrongfully granted it.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

No time outs left

What if you really have a brain fart and Team B has no time outs left near the end of very tight game. They get trapped and you hear time out from the bench area and grant the time out. Coach says it was not him/her. Could have been a bench personnel or a fan right behind the bench. What do you do then? If you grant the time out eventhough you should not have because the coach really didn't ask for the time out, are you going to make them take it and also issue a T for excessive time outs? I am not sure if this is fair and in the best interest of the game!
Any thoughts if you really blow this?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycat1
What if you really have a brain fart and Team B has no time outs left near the end of very tight game. They get trapped and you hear time out from the bench area and grant the time out. Coach says it was not him/her. Could have been a bench personnel or a fan right behind the bench. What do you do then? If you grant the time out eventhough you should not have because the coach really didn't ask for the time out, are you going to make them take it and also issue a T for excessive time outs? I am not sure if this is fair and in the best interest of the game!
See above.

Why should a coach be believed just because he says he didn't request?

If we do our job and look to the coach first, we won't have this problem.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycat1
I would have to eat it. Get the ball ready for play and let's go. It's the officials responsibility to recognize the coach on the bench before you call the timeout. For all we know it could've been a fan or parent sitting behind the bench, or even worse, a fan or parent of the opposing team screaming timeout.

Now I've had a situation where I'm the new lead in crew of 3 going down court, standing in front of bench in the new front court while a full court press is on (C is hanging back helping the new T), I observed the trap, coach yells timeout, when I recognize him and call the timeout, the ball was already stolen. Team A had the ball when I heard "timeout", when I finally put air in the whistle and call the time out, ball is stolen. I give the TO and the ball back to Team A.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
See above.

Why should a coach be believed just because he says he didn't request?

If we do our job and look to the coach first, we won't have this problem.
BBR, You quoted kycat, and both statements you made are correct, but didn't address kycat's sitch. The official doesn't look at team A coach first (a mistake), and does whistle up a timeout for team A. Team A has none left. Official realizes coach did not request a timeout. What is the correct application of the rules?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

he did address it

In his earlier post he said if you grant it they take it. So he did address the issue. His other point is also accurate, if you look at the coach and get verification, you don't have this problem.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

In my game last night, Team B scores to make it a 2-point game or so. Team A inbounds the ball dribbles to about the foul line in their backcourt. Coach A stands up, looks right at me and forms a T with his hands.

Tweet! Time-out white!

He says, "I didn't want a time-out! That's the name of a play!"

"Sorry, Coach. Might want to find a new name for it. Time-out, white."

Turns out he was looking at the point guard, but I was so close to her, I thought he was looking at and talking to me.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

along those same lines

the 5-out play out to be outlawed, or at least the name for it LOL
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Would this be different under NCAA rules? I month or two back there was a game involving Wisconsin and someone else on ESPN. One official granted a timeout to the other team after hearing a request from the bench area and they went to a comercial. After they returned the announcers explained that the HC had told the official that he did not request a timeout and that they did not want a timeout. It was ruled an IW and the game was stopped for a media timeout. Does anyone else remember this happening?