The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

5 Second Violation??

20 seconds left in 1st quarter, A1 is dribbling in frontcourt. Coach of A tells her "one shot". She dribbles out top by the timeline still in the frontcourt and picks up her dribble. She is not closely guarded. I get her for a 5 second violation as she is holding the ball, is this the correct call?
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

If she's not closely guarded then no, you kicked it.

I had a playoff game where one team, who knew they'd get killed if they played 32 minutes of basketball, actually held the ball for 7 minutes of a quarter. No passes, just held the ball after the half court throw in. Perfectly legal.

Last edited by derwil; Fri Dec 19, 2008 at 09:44am.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgod24 View Post
20 seconds left in 1st quarter, A1 is dribbling in frontcourt. Coach of A tells her "one shot". She dribbles out top by the timeline still in the frontcourt and picks up her dribble. She is not closely guarded. I get her for a 5 second violation as she is holding the ball, is this the correct call?
She is not closely guarded...so why did you call her for a 5-second closely guarded violation?
Ch1town

Quote:
If she was not closely guarded, what was the 5 second violation for?
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Nope, you kicked it!
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
If she's not closely guarded then no, you kicked it.

I had a playoff game where one team, who knew they'd get killed if they played 32 minutes of basketball, actually held the ball for 7 minutes of a quarter. No passes, just held the ball after the half court throw in. Perfectly legal.
I respectfully disagree. Wouldn't this fall under the "actionless contest" rule?
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
I respectfully disagree. Wouldn't this fall under the "actionless contest" rule?

It's hard to read sarcasm /humor in some of the posts, but I'll assume that is what you meant.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

There once was a rule that forced one team to create the action. I don't remember it completely, but I believe the team behind in the score had to force the action.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's hard to read sarcasm /humor in some of the posts, but I'll assume that is what you meant.
I didn't mean any sarcasm. What part seemed sarcastic? I was just trying to point out a legit rule that contrasted with what a previous post-er witnessed...
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't mean any sarcasm. What part seemed sarcastic? I was just trying to point out a legit rule that contrasted with what a previous post-er witnessed...
How can you have a 5 second closely guarded violation when you stated the player was not closely guarded? A long while back, if I remember correctly, the offense had to break the 28 foot line in the front court...but that was changed long ago. If the dribbler is not closely guarded (within 6 feet) by the defender, then you have nothing.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ma ref,
They got rid of that rule about 20 years ago.

I had a similar playoff experience with a team holding the ball for almost two entire quarters.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
ma ref,
They got rid of that rule about 20 years ago.

I had a similar playoff experience with a team holding the ball for almost two entire quarters.
Really? NFHS rule 10-1-5:

A team shall not:
"...Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest. This includes the following and similar acts:"
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

A team shall not:
"...Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest. This includes the following and similar acts:"
Read the rest of the rule.....your point is misguided and your interpretation is off.....
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

A team shall not:
But the specific "lack of action" rule was dropped.

10-1-5 has a different meaning than you seem to think.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

I whistled her for 5 seconds after picking her dribble up. so it is legal for her to stand there, even though she used up her dribble, for however long until she is closely guarded? obviously when the defense comes out, she can only pass or shoot.