The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Ok, who is causing this to be an actionless contest - the O holding the ball or the D not playing any D? Hmmmmmmmmmmm
There was a good discussion of this in another thread recently:
Backcourt Question

Personally, I'd warn both teams. Obviously the offense is doing nothing. But all the defense needs to do is get 1 player in a guarding position within 6 feet of the player with the ball to force a 5 sec closely guarded count.

IMHO, by doing nothing both teams are making a farce of the game. If this is a legal play, then what is the point of having a shot clock, if not to force the offense to do something, and prevent a situation exactly like this? Ditto with the 10 sec backcourt count...might as well get rid of both if leagues don't mind situations like this.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
There was a good discussion of this in another thread recently:
Backcourt Question

Personally, I'd warn both teams. Obviously the offense is doing nothing. But all the defense needs to do is get 1 player in a guarding position within 6 feet of the player with the ball to force a 5 sec closely guarded count.

IMHO, by doing nothing both teams are making a farce of the game. If this is a legal play, then what is the point of having a shot clock, if not to force the offense to do something, and prevent a situation exactly like this? Ditto with the 10 sec backcourt count...might as well get rid of both if leagues don't mind situations like this.
Again, under what authority? You are putting a team at a distinct disadvantage by not allowing them to execute a perfectly legal strategy.

Since we seem to be discussing NFHS rules here, there is not point, because there is no shot clock. If you work in a state that has a shot clock, or you want to discuss NCAA or NBA rules, then this discussion is moot.

Bottom line - the game is not actionless, nor is it a farce, if the offense holds the ball near mid-court and the defense chooses not to force the action by closely guarding.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:42am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I wouldn't warn the teams. But after the first quarter, I might go to the coaches and ask if they'd rather just shorten the quarters. Why let the clock run for 8 minutes, when both teams are happy to play only the last minute of each quarter? Why not just play 2 minute quarters for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters? This is perfectly within the rules and it would eliminate the tedium.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

I'm wondering, What was the coach's reaction? What was your partner's reaction? What sort of post-game did you and your partner have? You obviously have begun to question your call, since you posted it here for clarification.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I wouldn't warn the teams. But after the first quarter, I might go to the coaches and ask if they'd rather just shorten the quarters. Why let the clock run for 8 minutes, when both teams are happy to play only the last minute of each quarter? Why not just play 2 minute quarters for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters? This is perfectly within the rules and it would eliminate the tedium.
This is a good suggestion, which I was not aware we had the power to do. I just searched for and found the rule that you mentioned which allows that. Definitely better than having us twiddle our thumbs for the better part of 32 minutes. But it still doesn't get to the root of the problem. Even if you shorten the length of each quarter to 2 minutes, what is to prevent the teams from continuing to stand there and do nothing? You could have an infinite number of overtime periods, and at what point do you call it a night and declare the game over and go home?
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:11am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I've now got you beat - local holiday HS boy's tournament. One team felt the were going to be out-matched, so they got the opening tip and held the ball. Literally. Until they accidentally threw it away with only a minute or so left in the quarter. Still managed to hold the other team scoreless: score at halftime was 0-0. Final was 17-6. Yes, HS boy's varsity game.
M&M - just curious, what were the players/fans reaction to all of this? Any fans get upset? Yell? Coaches coaching? Did the players move at all or just stand in one spot with their hands on their hips? Inquiring minds (ok, mine anyhow) want to know?
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a good suggestion, which I was not aware we had the power to do. I just searched for and found the rule that you mentioned which allows that. Definitely better than having us twiddle our thumbs for the better part of 32 minutes. But it still doesn't get to the root of the problem. Even if you shorten the length of each quarter to 2 minutes, what is to prevent the teams from continuing to stand there and do nothing? You could have an infinite number of overtime periods, and at what point do you call it a night and declare the game over and go home?
Rest assurred that with 10 seconds to go in the game or 1st OT someone will drive the ball to the basket and attempt to score.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
M&M - just curious, what were the players/fans reaction to all of this? Any fans get upset? Yell? Coaches coaching? Did the players move at all or just stand in one spot with their hands on their hips? Inquiring minds (ok, mine anyhow) want to know?
Don't know, because I wasn't there, but it was on the local news. I know some of the officials that work in that tournament, so I'll try to find out any additional tidbits.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 12:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Bottom line - the game is not actionless, nor is it a farce, if the offense holds the ball near mid-court and the defense chooses not to force the action by closely guarding.
I'll go back to this; if the clock is moving, there's action.

If your state doesn't have a shot clock; this is perfectly legal. If your state does have a shot clock, it's easy to deal with.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Yawn......
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
might as well get rid of both if leagues don't mind situations like this.
I think it's fairly safe to assume that no league WANTS play like this. But it doesn't happen often enough to warrant addressing it with a major rules change.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Go easy. He seems new and with not much training.

He's learning.
Where's Nevada and what have you done with him?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Where's Nevada and what have you done with him?
My New Year's resolution is to try to be nicer.

I've noticed that I put things so matter-of-factly and bluntly that it tends to elicit a negative reaction from people when I was really just trying to give them an answer as quickly and succintly as possible. I'm a very honest and direct person. That has both its positives and negatives.
Anyway, I'm going to attempt to soften my approach. We'll see how it goes. It can't hurt to try.

Of course, this effort tends to get tossed aside when someone makes a snide remark or insulting comment about me. That's when my inner Jurassic Referee comes out.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 06:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Know I'll Keep Writing Year Of The Rat On My Checks ...

Quote:
My New Year's resolution is to try to be nicer.
Which New Year? I want to mark it on my calendar:

January 1, 2009? Or, Chinese New Year, January 26, 4707, the year of the Ox, or The Islamic New Year, the first day of Muharram, December 29, 1430 AH.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 10:42pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
That's when my inner Jurassic Referee comes out.

Don't flatter yourself.

Lonesome Dove