The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
5 Second Violation??

20 seconds left in 1st quarter, A1 is dribbling in frontcourt. Coach of A tells her "one shot". She dribbles out top by the timeline still in the frontcourt and picks up her dribble. She is not closely guarded. I get her for a 5 second violation as she is holding the ball, is this the correct call?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 350
If she's not closely guarded then no, you kicked it.

I had a playoff game where one team, who knew they'd get killed if they played 32 minutes of basketball, actually held the ball for 7 minutes of a quarter. No passes, just held the ball after the half court throw in. Perfectly legal.
__________________
If it's a foul on that end, IT'S GOTTA BE A FOUL ON THIS END!!!!!

Last edited by derwil; Fri Dec 19, 2008 at 09:44am.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgod24 View Post
20 seconds left in 1st quarter, A1 is dribbling in frontcourt. Coach of A tells her "one shot". She dribbles out top by the timeline still in the frontcourt and picks up her dribble. She is not closely guarded. I get her for a 5 second violation as she is holding the ball, is this the correct call?
She is not closely guarded...so why did you call her for a 5-second closely guarded violation?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:42am
Ch1town
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgod24 View Post
20 seconds left in 1st quarter, A1 is dribbling in frontcourt. Coach of A tells her "one shot". She dribbles out top by the timeline still in the frontcourt and picks up her dribble. She is not closely guarded. I get her for a 5 second violation as she is holding the ball, is this the correct call?
If she was not closely guarded, what was the 5 second violation for?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,673
Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by acgod24 View Post
20 seconds left in 1st quarter, A1 is dribbling in frontcourt. Coach of A tells her "one shot". She dribbles out top by the timeline still in the frontcourt and picks up her dribble. She is not closely guarded. I get her for a 5 second violation as she is holding the ball, is this the correct call?
Nope, you kicked it!
__________________
Score the Basket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
If she's not closely guarded then no, you kicked it.

I had a playoff game where one team, who knew they'd get killed if they played 32 minutes of basketball, actually held the ball for 7 minutes of a quarter. No passes, just held the ball after the half court throw in. Perfectly legal.
I respectfully disagree. Wouldn't this fall under the "actionless contest" rule?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
I respectfully disagree. Wouldn't this fall under the "actionless contest" rule?

It's hard to read sarcasm /humor in some of the posts, but I'll assume that is what you meant.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 267
There once was a rule that forced one team to create the action. I don't remember it completely, but I believe the team behind in the score had to force the action.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's hard to read sarcasm /humor in some of the posts, but I'll assume that is what you meant.
I didn't mean any sarcasm. What part seemed sarcastic? I was just trying to point out a legit rule that contrasted with what a previous post-er witnessed...
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,673
Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
I didn't mean any sarcasm. What part seemed sarcastic? I was just trying to point out a legit rule that contrasted with what a previous post-er witnessed...
How can you have a 5 second closely guarded violation when you stated the player was not closely guarded? A long while back, if I remember correctly, the offense had to break the 28 foot line in the front court...but that was changed long ago. If the dribbler is not closely guarded (within 6 feet) by the defender, then you have nothing.
__________________
Score the Basket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
I didn't mean any sarcasm. What part seemed sarcastic? I was just trying to point out a legit rule that contrasted with what a previous post-er witnessed...
ma ref,
They got rid of that rule about 20 years ago.

I had a similar playoff experience with a team holding the ball for almost two entire quarters.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 10:58am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
ma ref,
They got rid of that rule about 20 years ago.

I had a similar playoff experience with a team holding the ball for almost two entire quarters.
Really? NFHS rule 10-1-5:

A team shall not:
"...Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest. This includes the following and similar acts:"
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,673
Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
Really? NFHS rule 10-1-5:

A team shall not:
"...Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest. This includes the following and similar acts:"
Read the rest of the rule.....your point is misguided and your interpretation is off.....
__________________
Score the Basket!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
Really? NFHS rule 10-1-5:

A team shall not:
"...Allow the game to develop into an actionless contest. This includes the following and similar acts:"
But the specific "lack of action" rule was dropped.

10-1-5 has a different meaning than you seem to think.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 19, 2008, 11:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11
I whistled her for 5 seconds after picking her dribble up. so it is legal for her to stand there, even though she used up her dribble, for however long until she is closely guarded? obviously when the defense comes out, she can only pass or shoot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backcourt violation - 3 second violation Shades of Gray Basketball 15 Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:38pm
Throw-in violation or OOB violation? Nevadaref Basketball 47 Fri Nov 02, 2007 07:15pm
Clever? or a violation ,trying 2 avoid a violation hardwdref Basketball 3 Sat Nov 13, 2004 04:17pm
violation?? zac Basketball 2 Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:39pm
Violation or not secondyear Basketball 3 Tue Apr 24, 2001 09:45pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1