The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

2 Situations

Boys Varsity

1) a1 dribbles into the frontcourt and is "trapped" as he crosses the line (all 3 pts in frontcourt). without stepping into the backcourt, throws a bounce pass to a2 who is in the frontcourt near the division line. the "bounce" part of the bounce pass is clearly in the backcourt (A2 reaches across and catches it). I didn't call anything, but should this have been a BC violation?

2) pretty sure i kicked this one. a1 going in for layup. b1 is trailing and while try is in the air, but not "on the cylinder", b1 slaps the backboard on the opposite side of the rim for where a1 is shooting. i didn't call anything, but looked at the nfhs rulebook afterwards and it looked like i should have called a "T". did i kick it?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 11:09am
Ch1town

Unfortunately, you sent both of those calls to the 8th row. But now you own those 2 rules! As long as we learn from our mistakes, it's not a bad thing.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfanllw View Post
2) pretty sure i kicked this one. a1 going in for layup. b1 is trailing and while try is in the air, but not "on the cylinder", b1 slaps the backboard on the opposite side of the rim for where a1 is shooting. i didn't call anything, but looked at the nfhs rulebook afterwards and it looked like i should have called a "T". did i kick it?
It's not clear to me that this is a T.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Why, it's not an attempt at a block?
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Since it says the defender slapped the backboard on the opposite side from where the shot was, it's doubtful this was a block attempt. Sounds like a T to me. Of course, as usual, HTBT.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

OK, now it's clear. TATF.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

So , "Automatic" T??

Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 02:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
So , "Automatic" T??

I don't normally tell coaches to shut up, but M&M keeps telling me to.
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Boys Varsity

1) a1 dribbles into the frontcourt and is "trapped" as he crosses the line (all 3 pts in frontcourt). without stepping into the backcourt, throws a bounce pass to a2 who is in the frontcourt near the division line. the "bounce" part of the bounce pass is clearly in the backcourt (A2 reaches across and catches it). I didn't call anything, but should this have been a BC violation?
We had a LONG discussion about this play last year. To my knowledge the NFHS has never issued a clarification. The vast majority of us here believe that this play is a violation per 9-9-1 in the rules book. The NCAA has a specific approved ruling stating that this is a violation.
Take a look at this thread:
backcourt

Quote:
This is a Point of Emphasis this season.

2008-09 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that "intentionally slapping or striking the backboard" is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).