The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Responding to Coach Speak

for us young guys out there, can some of you veterans give us some good responses to some of the standard "coach speak" items. (i.e. "you've called x fouls on them and y on us", "call it both ways", etc.) i know sometimes it is best to just not respond at all, but i'd love to know some things i could say back when i need to to acknowledge that i heard the coach, but not make it worse. any "coach speak" you can think of and your general responses would be really appreciated.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
First of all, remember that we dont answer statements, only questions. Plus, if he keeps asking you that same questions, then you will have to deal with that as well. Using quick phrases and responses will only get you in deep water. Treat the coach with respect and demand respect back as well and you will be okay. Just my 2 cents...
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 03:52pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Go to the below link and start at the beginning to see some really good responses and info on this topic.

Communication w/ Coaches
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

another - "#8 travels everytime he touches the ball"
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 04:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

There are no one size fits all comments. You cannot mirror someone's personality, instinct or experience. If we give you just some canned comments, then you might mess it up if you do not use them in the right tone or at the right time it can be a disaster.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfanllw View Post
for us young guys out there, can some of you veterans give us some good responses to some of the standard "coach speak" items. (i.e. "you've called x fouls on them and y on us", "call it both ways", etc.) i know sometimes it is best to just not respond at all, but i'd love to know some things i could say back when i need to to acknowledge that i heard the coach, but not make it worse. any "coach speak" you can think of and your general responses would be really appreciated.

When I hear this, I normally warned the coach that he/she don't want to go there. However, if they insist on going there.

I ask them nicely two questions:

1. coach, are you saying we are incompetant?
2. coach, are you saying we are cheating?

because, I want to know exactly what this technical fouls is for.

DISCLAIMER: I use these on coaches who are buttholes.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Coach: "Blah, blah, blah."

Official: "Thank you, coach."

Coach: "Why do you keep saying, 'Thank you, coach'?"

Official: "Because they won't let me say, 'STFU, coach'!"
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
First of all, remember that we dont answer statements, only questions. Plus, if he keeps asking you that same questions, then you will have to deal with that as well. Using quick phrases and responses will only get you in deep water. Treat the coach with respect and demand respect back as well and you will be okay. Just my 2 cents...
Do not address statements by a coach, there are the great stories of how Ref X got Coach Y with a particular zinger last week.
Well it didn't do the ref any good, because what he didn't tell you is the coach rode him just as or harder the rest of the game and he had to listen to the supervisor/assignor or AD after the game talk about an exagerated version of what was really said. So just don't do it, silence can't be misquoted.

"Is there a question in there coach?" and move on is about all I ever say.

In pre-game we address with captains and coaches that we will answer questions if asked in a respectful manner.

We are busy enough on the floor that we do not need to split our attention between the action and trading barbs with coaches. especially new guys just starting out. We are going to do one or both poorly. Better to concentrate on just one thing.

make your reputation as a great official not the the court jester.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Do not address statements by a coach, there are the great stories of how Ref X got Coach Y with a particular zinger last week.
Well it didn't do the ref any good, because what he didn't tell you is the coach rode him just as or harder the rest of the game and he had to listen to the supervisor/assignor or AD after the game talk about an exagerated version of what was really said. So just don't do it, silence can't be misquoted.

"Is there a question in there coach?" and move on is about all I ever say.

In pre-game we address with captains and coaches that we will answer questions if asked in a respectful manner.

We are busy enough on the floor that we do not need to split our attention between the action and trading barbs with coaches. especially new guys just starting out. We are going to do one or both poorly. Better to concentrate on just one thing.

make your reputation as a great official not the the court jester.
Ummm....thats what I said!!!!
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 04:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

My all time favorite is still this one. When a coach says something absolutely ridiculous to you, the reply is, "Coach, I'd respond to that but I left my English-Gibberish dictionary at home."

Another is "Coach, there are only two people in this entire gym who don't care who wins - my partner & me. We only care about one thing - that at the end of regulation time, one team has at least one point more than the other."

And, there's always the old standby, "Sorry coach, we're not allowed to call it both ways. We can only call it one way - the right way."

OK, one more. "Coach, let's trade places. You come out here and call the game and I'll sit on the bench and act like an idiot."
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

yes what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
Ummm....thats what I said!!!!
I just put an explaination point on it!
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
I just put an explaination point on it!

Is that a merging of exclamation and explanation?
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 05:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...(i.e. "you've called x fouls on them and y on us"...
Last time I heard that one I responded "Coach, that's not my fault."

He knew I was right. His team full-court presses from opening tip and he subs 5 players at a time to keep the pressure constant and his team launches the most 3-pointers in the league.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You answered yourself above in Red.

We don't necessarily want a response, we just wanna be heard. As people have said already, don't answer a statement.

Unless we give a LOT of statments and/or start making it personal.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 05:14pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
His team full-court presses from opening tip and he subs 5 players at a time to keep the pressure constant and his team launches the most 3-pointers in the league.

Sometimes it is what it is...