The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 01:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Since I have not been able to get to the gym as much as I had hoped, my expanding waistline told my brain (such as it is) to work some games, even though I am in "retirement mode". Juulie was kind enough to schedule me for three games the day after tomorrow. These are girls HS summer league and are at the HS gym right near my house.

Can someone refresh my memory on the mechanic for an ejection, please? That's the only one I think I'll need. Thanks.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Since I have not been able to get to the gym as much as I had hoped, my expanding waistline told my brain (such as it is) to work some games, even though I am in "retirement mode". Juulie was kind enough to schedule me for three games the day after tomorrow. These are girls HS summer league and are at the HS gym right near my house.

Can someone refresh my memory on the mechanic for an ejection, please? That's the only one I think I'll need. Thanks.
Assuming it's P9-3R, with a few exceptions, in the games I've done so far this summer the players & coaches have been great.... Which school are you scheduled for? I'm at Tigard tonight and Tualatin on Friday.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Mark,

I wouldn't worry too much. I am sure the sight, sounds and smell of a Howler monkey will trigger your memory when the time comes.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 03:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor

Assuming it's P9-3R, with a few exceptions, in the games I've done so far this summer the players & coaches have been great.... Which school are you scheduled for? I'm at Tigard tonight and Tualatin on Friday.
I'm at Tigard on Friday. BTW - is it running or stop clock?
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I'm at Tigard on Friday. BTW - is it running or stop clock?
16 minute halves - stop clock; normal complement of timeouts(3-full/2-30)

Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wow, that's a full-time HS game. I'm curious what you are getting paid for these summer league games.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 05:52am
Huck Finn

I got to the gym last night and found out I had 3 games with a regulation high school clock. Well, I often want to work on some part of my game and Game Management went right to the top of the list when I found this out. Calling fouls that fit and avoiding calls that interrupt the game. First game was smooth, second game was choppy and the third game went smooth after I excused a young man for the evening. My partner gave him a T for something like "what the ____ did you call that for", I gave him his second for him telling us to lick the family jewels and I gave the bench another T for his parting remarks as he went out the door with mommy. She had some words for her son's coach. It turns out that this coach is not a parent favorite. He has twins that play on the team and he was making a jesture to one of them after a turnover. A parent accross the floor was yelling at him for singling out a player. He yells back that it is his son and this goes on for the last two minutes of the game. His team played better after the kid was sent home but they still got clobbered. Good stuff, funny stuff.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 01:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Wow, that's a full-time HS game. I'm curious what you are getting paid for these summer league games.
Only $20 per game, but we get paid on game night, the gym is air conditioned and we can wear shorts. Besides, it's girls games.

As I stated, I'm really doing it for the exercise.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Only $20 per game, but we get paid on game night, the gym is air conditioned and we can wear shorts. Besides, it's girls games.

As I stated, I'm really doing it for the exercise.
I'm working on getting this changed in my area. IMO we should not be taking half the pay for the same amount of work in the summer. I'd be fine with either raising the pay or adjusting the clock rules. I have no problem with $20 for the running clock games that take an hour each, but if the league/tournament wishes to play 32 minutes stop-clock, then they need to be fair with the officials' compensation.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 11:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Well - I worked the games last night and, as I had hoped, the last game of the three was a forfeit, but I got paid anyway.

The first game went pretty smooth. It was close all the way until one team went on a little streak at the end and won by five.

The second game was a 30 point blow-out. As you might expect, the losing coach tried to blame it all on us. He complained about his point guards getting "cut off" when they tried to bring the ball over mid-court. DUH! That's the idea, isn't it? Once, he said to me, "If that's not a foul, I don't know what is." I told him it wasn't a foul, and that I was surprised he didn't know what a foul was. He didn't get it.

Finally, my partner gave him a T and told him he was seat belted the rest of the game. When the game was over, a bunch of parents from his team cornered him and made him come over to us and apologize. I guess they realized their girls were just outplayed and wanted their coach to realize it too. At least, that's what one of the dads told me later. He said they were disappointed in that coach all summer and wouldn't keep him on for next year.

It was kind of refreshing to hear that.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Once, he said to me, "If that's not a foul, I don't know what is." I told him it wasn't a foul, and that I was surprised he didn't know what a foul was. He didn't get it.
That's a great line.

As for the parents, that's pretty amazing. Most aren't like that in my experience. Mine are of the opinion that I should argue more, so they try to help me out
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He said they were disappointed in that coach all summer and wouldn't keep him on for next year.

It was kind of refreshing to hear that.
Mark, I just had a very amusing thought.....maybe the parents will ask you to coach their team. Somehow, can't imagine you as a coach. I mean, you can't very well dislike yourself.
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 08:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Mark, I just had a very amusing thought.....maybe the parents will ask you to coach their team. Somehow, can't imagine you as a coach. I mean, you can't very well dislike yourself.
Oh yeah - that's real amusing - not!
Old Sun Jul 04, 2004, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Oh yeah - that's real amusing - not!
It couldn't be any worse than a Boston fan waking up as a Yankee player. HEHE