The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 10:47am
Huck Finn

I've had this happen to me before too. I was playing in a league where the official didn't have to touch the ball on violations/ball out of bounds. Additionally, we could run the end line - follow me here - and all the way up the sideline to halfcourt before inbounding the ball. Not my rules, but I used them to my advantage.
We had a game one night and something is called on the other team, I forgot what it was. The guy from the other team is holding the ball, I'm trying to get it to start a break and there is no call for delay of game. The officials don't even say anything to him. On the very next play my team violates or something and the ball is passed to me as the whistle is blowing. What do I do? I shoot a three - after the whistle. Technical foul.
After the game they (the officials) were telling me I should know better because I'm an official. I told them that I was playing on that night - not officiating. As such, I expected to be treated like everyone else.

When you are a player, just play and don't worry about the officiating except for getting a feel for what the officials' capabilities are.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I've had this happen to me before too. I was playing in a league where the official didn't have to touch the ball on violations/ball out of bounds. Additionally, we could run the end line - follow me here - and all the way up the sideline to halfcourt before inbounding the ball. Not my rules, but I used them to my advantage.
My league has that rule too. I think the running the end line and sideline rule is from the International game rules but I'm not quite sure. Either way it's weird.

Sucks about your tech. Sounds like they made an example of you because you were an official. I wonder if that's what happened to me
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I think most of us have been in the same boat in some fashion. Either we're watching a game and everyone wants to know what we thought of a call, we're playing in a game or possibly coaching. In all three cases my standard answer is "they're on the floor calling the game, I'm not. They must have see it differently." I can understand being frustrated with officials in a wreck league. I used to play in one and I too would get frustrated with the quality of the officiating. My problem wasn't so much with their judgement, it was the fact that they didn't run. It was annoying, but I always reminded myself that I didn't want to work those games, so I shouldn't complain.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I've long sinced stopped playing in Men's leagues...and I don't officiate the Men's WRECK league either. I don't know if I could play now because I'd be too wrapped up in wanting to call the game!

I'm coaching my daughter's team (9U) this year...While not my first stint as a youth coach, should be interesting this year because this is the first time I've coached while having been a ref.

We play at the facility I ref at so I will know most of the guys officiating my games and I'm more focused on my kids than I am the calls...but I've been teasing the guys to go easy on me!
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

About 10 yrs ago I was playing in a league and one of the officials answered his cell phone DURING the game, DURING a live ball...and no his wife wasn't pregnant, nor was anybody dying, he just thought that since it was a blowout he didn't really need to pay attention...and yes I read him the riot act...
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
My problem wasn't so much with their judgement, it was the fact that they didn't run. It was annoying, but I always reminded myself that I didn't want to work those games, so I shouldn't complain.
This particular "irritant" has always bugged me. If the officials are making the calls, controlling the game, and getting the job done, but aren't seen as hustling...well, what's the beef? Half the men in most wreck leagues aren't running either. In fact, my biggest irritant in men's wreck is that just when you get a good angle at T or C, some leisurely weeknight warrior steps into your frame and just stops and loafs there. It's not moving to improve; it becomes moving to see around the spectators dressed as players.

Now if they're not hustling, and they're missing stuff...well, okay. That's a legitimate gripe.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Saddle - It really bothers me not to see the ref hustling. But, according to you, I have no legitimate gripe. Because, every time I ask the ref to hustle from the backcourt to the frontcourt, he tells me he's not missing anything, he had a good view from back there, etc.... I've never heard a ref say, yeh, I missed that because I didn't hustle into position.

I think I it's a legitimate request (gripe) to ask the ref to be professional.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Coach Bill. There's no excuse for not hustling. If you sign up to work a game, work the game to the best of your ability. If you can't hustle up the court for the whole game, you shouldn't be working the game. There's no way you can do a good job reffing a basketball game if you aren't hustling. So do yourself and the game a favor and get into shape before you start working any games.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Good heavens, reading is so fundamental: "Now if they're not hustling, and they're missing stuff...well, okay. That's a legitimate gripe."

Read the entire damn post before you start venting your spleen, will you?
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
About 10 yrs ago I was playing in a league and one of the officials answered his cell phone DURING the game, DURING a live ball...and no his wife wasn't pregnant, nor was anybody dying, he just thought that since it was a blowout he didn't really need to pay attention...and yes I read him the riot act...
Ifs that the case, that cell phone was the size of a loaf of bread!
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
ok mr. smarty pants I did the exact math and it was 8 yrs ago which IS "about 10 yrs ago"...however, I will note that I had the original motorola flip phone back around 1994-95 and you could fit that in your pocket...and they have obviously gotten progressively smaller since then......
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

don't know how the thumbs down got on that post, must have accidentally clicked... it's all in fun...
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 08:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
I had that cell phone. I think my plan had about 30 minutes a month on it.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Good heavens, reading is so fundamental: "Now if they're not hustling, and they're missing stuff...well, okay. That's a legitimate gripe."

I was responding to this part that you wrote:

Quote:
If the officials are making the calls, controlling the game, and getting the job done, but aren't seen as hustling...well, what's the beef??
Not hustling at any time is not ok. By definition, if you're not hustling, you're missing stuff. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I read the entire d@mn post. Did you read mine? I may think they're missing stuff, but they always claim they're not missing stuff. Have you ever said to a coach, "Yeh, I wasn't hustling, so I missed that one." I think they should hustle all the time, to be sure they don't miss anything.