The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Playing Officials

So believe it or not, but I actually play in wreck league. Only reason I am playing is cause I get to play for free but that's another story. Anyways, my question is how to handle an officiating crew who is just flat out horrible. This crew was probably the worst I have ever seen. They're mis-applying rules left and right, not calling much of anything, constantly out of position, etc. The sad thing is they are both in the HS association with me and should know better.

Now I never, ever say anything to any official at all. My philosophy is it's like a fraternity and we all have to stick together. My teammates and the other team just can't take it anymore though. They all know I officiate and so they are all asking me to go tell the crew what they are doing wrong, help them out, etc. I tell them I won't do it cause it's not my game and they are the ones working it.

Should I have said something to them? Maybe after the game? Should I call my assignor and let them know these two are having trouble? I'm just unsure how to approach this situation and I don't want to burn any bridges.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Not at the game.

Maybe, just maybe, if you are comfortable enough with any of then maybe you could talk to them privately at an association meeting or when you are buying them a few beers. But I would only do that if I had a good relationship with that person (or persons).

I plan on playing some Rec League this winter. And I plan on keeping my mouth shut.

You are 19, right? You might get some resistance on your age alone. You don't want to get the reputation as the "know-it-all" kid.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

My advice, when you're playing, play. Don't leave the outcome of the game in the officials hands. Don't even talk to them.

Get in. Get done. Get out.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Not at the game.

Maybe, just maybe, if you are comfortable enough with any of then maybe you could talk to them privately at an association meeting or when you are buying them a few beers. But I would only do that if I had a good relationship with that person (or persons).

I plan on playing some Rec League this winter. And I plan on keeping my mouth shut.

You are 19, right? You might get some resistance on your age alone. You don't want to get the reputation as the "know-it-all" kid.
Yeah I'm 19. That kinda rules out buying them some beers unless we go to TJ.

I don't wanna come across as the know it all, which is one of the reasons I haven't said anything. I would just shut my mouth and play but this crew made it hard to actually play with whistles every 5 seconds. One time the visiting went down the court they got 6 fouls in a row on one possession. Next time my team went down the court, we didn't get even one call. It's hard to play when it's like that.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 02:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I have a similar situation as a coach and official. When I notice some of the guys I ref with blow a call or misapply a rule - I try to be your typical coach asking for the call, coaching and raising my voice from the box, hinting they missed something, talking to them briefly at half or after the game, etc. But, I never cross the line and REALLY get after them as it's "wreck" ball and I want to set the proper example for the kids as an adult, parent, coach, and official. And, I make it a point to shake the refs hands and thank them for doing the game - regardless of what I think.

Now, as was alluded to by others, you win or lose on the floor, not by a blown or missed call. I may talk to them later, but none of these guys are HS Officials or receive much training and they are there for different reasons than you and me....and sometimes don't take suggestions well or even care.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

Now, as was alluded to by others, you win or lose on the floor, not by a blown or missed call. I may talk to them later, but none of these guys are HS Officials or receive much training and they are there for different reasons than you and me....and sometimes don't take suggestions well or even care.
This crew was made up of two HS Officials. I called 3 games with one of them last season, so they should know better. My team won the game, so I'm not mad I lost. Just everyone knew I was an official and was coming up to me to complain about them.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

just my 2 cents, but i would not touch this, just play and don't say a word. unless they ask for your advice at some point, the downside to saying anything (potential for damaged reputation within your association, etc) far outweighs the upside (better officiated rec league game????) in my opinion....ultimately you have to decide what is more important to you i guess....as my boss often says "is that the hill you want to die on?"
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 03:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I certainly understand. What did they expect you to do? Talk to the refs? Plead your case? Argue? Question their calls? Get a T? What? You've got to be bigger than the situation and keep a level head. "Guys, I understand your frustration. I'm frustrated too. There's not much I can do about it here. Let's just go out there and have some fun and do our best. OK?"

(Yes, I have my rose colored glasses on).
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 04:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
Yeah I'm 19. That kinda rules out buying them some beers unless we go to TJ.
T.J.Maxx serves beer?
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 04:13pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
T.J.Maxx serves beer?
No, I do.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

I second what everyone else has said, but I’ll add that you have to acknowledge and accept the fact that, as a player, no matter how good of an official you are, you are biased.

You’re looking at the situation completely differently than you would if you are officiating the game. There’s no way of getting around that. Does that make the officials at the game you talked about perfect? No, but it does mean that you’re not exactly an objective party in judging the situation.

You are looking at this through the eyes of a player. And we all know that players NEVER foul, but they ALWAYS get fouled. Your case may not be that extreme, but the principle still applies.

Oh, and remember...it’s just wreck ball.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I second what everyone else has said, but I’ll add that you have to acknowledge and accept the fact that, as a player, no matter how good of an official you are, you are biased.

You’re looking at the situation completely differently than you would if you are officiating the game. There’s no way of getting around that. Does that make the officials at the game you talked about perfect? No, but it does mean that you’re not exactly an objective party in judging the situation.

You are looking at this through the eyes of a player. And we all know that players NEVER foul, but they ALWAYS get fouled. Your case may not be that extreme, but the principle still applies.

Oh, and remember...it’s just wreck ball.
And in addition to the above, get your story straight !!

You say in your 1st post that "they werent calling much of anything", then in another "they were calling fouls every 5 seconds".

Sounds "like player perception" to me......
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
And in addition to the above, get your story straight !!

You say in your 1st post that "they werent calling much of anything", then in another "they were calling fouls every 5 seconds".

Sounds "like player perception" to me......
haha...true. I wasn't paying much attention when I typed it. I meant they weren't calling much of anything our way. I think I'm going to stop playing in this league anyway if everyone is going to run up to me and complain about officials, I mean geez...I'm not even a Varsity Regular yet.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
T.J.Maxx serves beer?

Haha...TJ is short for Tijuana, Mexico. It's what everyone in San Diego calls it.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 07:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
I mean geez...I'm not even a Varsity Regular yet.

In SoCal, if you're under 25, you go straight from HS JV to D1...your career is on track.