The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 05:54pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Another of the new casebook plays

Case 3.3.5 Situation B. Without typing the whole thing out, the free throw shooter's shirt is untucked. He's instructed to tuck it in, he shoots the free throws with no one on the lane, and is required to leave the game after the final free throw. The ruling says that Team B is awarded the ball for the ensuing throw-in, regardless of whether the final free throw is successful.

Does this seem right? Seems to me that if the final free throw misses, we should go to the arrow. Anybody see a rationale for automatically giving the ball to B?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

That's not new. Been in there a long time.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 06:21pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That's not new. Been in there a long time.
It's marked with a * to indicate that it's new. And it's not in last year's casebook. Maybe it was an NFHS mid-season interp?

And is there some rationale for not going to the arrow after a missed final free throw?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

It has a new number, but it is not new to the Case Book. It was there last year, the year before, the year before.....

Wanna bet?

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Sep 30, 2008 at 06:36pm.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 07:15pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
It has a new number, but it is not new to the Case Book. It was there last year, the year before, the year before.....

Wanna bet?
No way, no bet. But where was it last year? And what is the rationale blah blah blah?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

3.4.15 SITUATION C:
B1 fouls A1. Just before A1 goes to the line for a one-and-one, the official observes: (a) A1 either pulls the shirt out of his/her pants; or (b) that A1's pants are partially below the hips.

RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 will be directed to put the shirt in the pants or pull up the pants and must leave the game immediately following his/her last free throw(s). The lane is cleared and it will be B's ball for a throw-in, whether or not the last free throw is successful.

The case play doesn't include the rationale. My guess is they're tired of kids not tucking in their jerseys. They don't want to send him out, since he's due his FTs but they aren't willing to penalize the defense. If A has the arrow, you penalize B by giving the ball to A because A1 broke a rule.

I have no problem with it. Actually did it about 9 years ago. That's how I know it's there.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Sep 30, 2008 at 08:10pm.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:32pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
No way, no bet. But where was it last year? And what is the rationale blah blah blah?

Scrapper1:

It is an old interpretation that was made when the rule was first adopted. I can't remember how many years ago that was. Just because the interpretation is currently not in the Casebook does not mean the interpretation ceases to exist or be valid. Tony and I both remember the interpretation because we are both old geezers (at least I am an old geezer) who have been officiating and students of the rules for years and years and years. Show Tony some R E S P E C T (Find out what it means to me, ).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The IAABO Refresher Exam Is Harder Than The MCAT'S ...

I think that this play was on the IAABO Refresher Exam last year. I'll check and get back to you guys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Just because the interpretation is currently not in the Casebook...
It is in the Case Book and has been for years.

Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 11:51pm
Administrator

Quote:
It is in the Case Book and has been for years.

My point is that sometimes plays are removed from the Casebook but that doesn't mean that they still aren't in force.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I know. But you also wrote, "Just because the interpretation is currently not in the Casebook ..." My point is that it is in the Case Book.

Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

What if the free throw shooter says he won't tuck his shirt in before shooting the free throws?

Technical Foul and then if he won't comply when asked a second time a 2nd technical and the coach then needs to provide a sub to shoot the free throws. We can't just send the player to the bench and allow a better shooter to come in and attempt the free throws just because he won't tuck his shirt in.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 12:27pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart View Post
What if the free throw shooter says he won't tuck his shirt in before shooting the free throws?

Technical Foul and then if he won't comply when asked a second time a 2nd technical and the coach then needs to provide a sub to shoot the free throws. We can't just send the player to the bench and allow a better shooter to come in and attempt the free throws just because he won't tuck his shirt in.

Thoughts?

All Heart:

There is not need for a TF in this situation. The player is leaving the game because his shirt is untucked. That is the penalty. A TF is not the penalty in this situation.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 12:36pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
There is not need for a TF in this situation. The player is leaving the game because his shirt is untucked. That is the penalty. A TF is not the penalty in this situation.
While I'm pretty sure I agree, Mark, the difference is that the rules require him to shoot his own free throws, since he's not injured.

The case specifically states that he is to tuck in the shirt, attempt the free throws, and then leave the game. If he refuses to follow the official's directive, he can't shoot his own free throws. Maybe a delay of game?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2008, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All Heart:

MTD, Sr.
A1 is fouled with 1 second left in the 4th quarter. They are down 1 and A1 is to shoot 2 free throws. A1 (who's FT% is 50%) then untucks his jersey and walks up to the free throw line.

Are you allowing A1 to shoot the free throws with his shirt untucked if he refuses to tuck it in? If you are saying let him shoot the free throws with his shirt untucked and then send him out of the game after his 2nd with Team B receiving the ball OOB then I am fine with that.

My understanding is that the player is not allowed to shoot the free throws with his shirt untucked so what are our options if he refuses (being defiant or trying to get a teammate to shoot the free throws for him).

I know it is very unlikely that a player or coach is trying to get around this rule (because they probably don't know it), I'm just doing a "what if".

I've had a kid in a state playoff game act hurt at the end of the game so that a teammate could shoot the free throws for him. We made sure that wasn't going to happen!