The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
There are three plays dealing with the lodged ball (5-1-1-g) in the 2005 casebook:

5.1.1q: A line drive rips the glove from the pitcher's hand. The pitcher retrieves the glove, which contains the ball, and throws the glove and ball to the first baseman. RULING: Illegal. A fair-batted ball is dead immediately when it becomes lodged in player equipment.
=======
Note: The play ends there, but the award is two bases (8-3-3c)

=========
5.1.1r: On a sharply hit ground ball that is snagged by F1, the player's initial attempts to withdraw the ball from the glove and throw the ball to F3 are not successful. In an attempt to retire the batter-runner, F1 tosses his glove with the lodged ball to F3. RULING: U1 will declare the ball dead and award the batter-runner second base. When F1 tosses his fielding glove to F3 to put out the batter-runner, it became apparent that the ball was lodged and the ball becomes dead and the award is made.
===========
5.1.1s: With a runner on first base, on a bounding ball F6 lays out and catches the ball in his glove. After several attempts to remove the ball from his glove, he is finally successful after the batter-runner acquires first base. RULING: There is no base awarded; the play stands. The ball was temporarily stuck, not lodged, in F6's glove.

=======
The FED position is thus very clear: If the fielder believes he must toss the ball/glove combo to another fielder, that is PROOF the ball is lodged: dead ball, two bases.

Naturally, putting these plays into the casebook rather than posting them on the Website proves the rules committee was discussing this play long before someone called me to task about my BRD play, which is CB 5.1.1r.
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

I am saddened that FED, against the advice of several of its interpreters, chose again to further distance itself from OBR rather than take the opportunity to close the gap as it had done with balks.

Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
I am saddened that FED, against the advice of several of its interpreters, chose again to further distance itself from OBR rather than take the opportunity to close the gap as it had done with balks.

I believe two interpreters were mentioned in the Forum. What we don't know is: How many state interpreters agreed with the rules committee?

Suppose 40 liked the ruling in 5.1.1r while two wanted to follow the OBR. (There was no response from eight. - grin)You could still be sad that the FED stayed on its own course, but others would be happy that the committee followed the overwhelming preponderance of opinion.

BTW: I'm not sure the FED moved closer to the OBR. Here's another new play:

6.1.1j: With R1 on first base, F1, from the set position and prior to bringing his hands together while in contact with the pitcher's plate, (a) abruptly and quickly turns his shoulders toward first base in an attempt to drive back the runner; or (b) casually turns his shoulders to observe the runner at first base. RULING: Legal in both (a) and (b).

Have I been teaching this wrong all these years?

The pitcher can feint without arm motion. Right? In our area OBR pitchers always step off as they whirl their shoulders toward first. MLB pitchers do the same thing, don't they?

Wouldn't I call a balk if a play such as 6.1.1j -(a) happened in an MSBL game?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Here's another new play:

6.1.1j: With R1 on first base, F1, from the set position and prior to bringing his hands together while in contact with the pitcher's plate, (a) abruptly and quickly turns his shoulders toward first base in an attempt to drive back the runner; or (b) casually turns his shoulders to observe the runner at first base. RULING: Legal in both (a) and (b).

Have I been teaching this wrong all these years?

The pitcher can feint without arm motion. Right? In our area OBR pitchers always step off as they whirl their shoulders toward first. MLB pitchers do the same thing, don't they?

Wouldn't I call a balk if a play such as 6.1.1j -(a) happened in an MSBL game?
WOW!
Typically, I guess, for the FED's, they have tossed the babby out w/ the bath. Play (b) is clearly about the rule change where we no longer balk any turn of the shoulder. But (a) has been a balk under every code for exactly the reason CC notes; it's a fake to 1st.
This should make for some interesting discussions at the annual meetings with the state interpreters.

Carter
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

"I believe two interpreters were mentioned in the Forum. "

And others were mentioned elsewhere. Those in the know report a near 50-50 split.

Alas and alack, an opportunity missed.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Alas and alack, an opportunity missed.
It looks to be significantly worse than missed... more like blatantly ignored.

Defense does their job. Stops the ball. But for some unpredictable, anomalous reason the ball becomes stuck/"lodged" in the defender's glove. This means the offense has done a tremendous job of hitting and instead of a sure out (even with an underhand toss of glove and "lodged" ball) the batter-runner is awarded two bases.

And a dynamic, sudden turn of the pitcher's shoulders, is acceptable!! That's not a balk.

I thought new rules basically came from coaches. It seems unconceivable that these coaches would have such a paucity of game understanding. Unbelievable.

One of our past main points of discussion was when exactly does the "lodged" ball become dead. 5.1.1q ("dead immediately when it becomes lodged") and 5.1.1r ("When F1 tosses his fielding glove... it became apparent that the ball was lodged and the ball becomes dead and the award is made.") seems to still leave this question unanswered. So is the ball dead when it becomes lodged or is it dead when the umpire recognises that the ball is lodged; much can go on between when the ball enters a glove and the second and a half later when the glove is removed and tossed.

I'm thinking they may have created some nightmares for us.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]
So is the ball dead when it becomes lodged or is it dead when the umpire recognises that the ball is lodged; much can go on between when the ball enters a glove and the second and a half later when the glove is removed and tossed.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think Carl answered this question earlier - "The FED position is thus very clear: If the fielder believes he must toss the ball/glove combo to another fielder, that is PROOF the ball is lodged: dead ball, two bases."

This will be easy to administer in FED games, if it happens at all.

Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG

So is the ball dead when it becomes lodged or is it dead when the umpire recognises that the ball is lodged; much can go on between when the ball enters a glove and the second and a half later when the glove is removed and tossed.
[/QUOTE]

I think Carl answered this question earlier - "The FED position is thus very clear: If the fielder believes he must toss the ball/glove combo to another fielder, that is PROOF the ball is lodged: dead ball, two bases."

This will be easy to administer in FED games, if it happens at all.

[/QUOTE]

Yes but:

Two outs. Batter hits hard bouncer to F1 who cannot dislodge ball from glove. F1 beats B/R to first in a foot race. Three outs.

F1 takes glove and lodged ball to dugout. Because he did not attempt to throw his glove to F3, the lodged ball is deemed not lodged.

Seems FED has stepped through the looking glass.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I just happened to think of an interesting scenario to this unique situation. If doing FED ball and F1 snags a hotshot by him and unable to get the ball from the glove and tosses glove and ball to F3 and while in flight ball comes out and F3 catches ball before the runner gets there. What do we have? Carl if you are there I really would like a response. Thanks
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

According to FED the decision to throw the glove creates the deadball situation and award for lodged ball. Once the glove is thrown, it matters not what happens to the ball. The play is over.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Garth thanks, I understand that according to the rule as soon as glove is tossed the play becomes dead, but on that rare occasion that you get a coach that knows the rules he is going to berate and intimidate and probably end up being restricted or ejected because the ball came out of the glove and it was caught not the glove. I understand the rule and in 19years of umpiring I have never seen either happen, not to say that it won't but it hasn't yet. Seems like FED has tied it's hands on this one again. Steve
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that this play will be, at best, rare. None-the-less, I believe that FED should be moving towards OBR, not away.

I have always defended the FED modifications that truly affect safety and increased participation, but, even though FED has implied, with a straight face, no less, that this is a safety issue, it's clearly more a case of yielding to those who choose to be different simply because they can.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

end up being restricted or ejected

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Not always a bad thing, unless the assistant is even denser. I like you wish that they would get together and find a common thread between each level and stick to those rules. I also agree with the FED safety rules but this is one that seems to me that if the thrown glove was to hit the baserunner it would hurt a lot less with all that cowhide wrapped around it, instead of some big kid that just let loose with a 90+ to the shoulder blade, just my way of thinking. Steve
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Relatively speaking, throwing a glove with ball inside is safer than throwing a ball. Many of the Fed rules differences have nothing to do with safety. For example, Fed wants a strike called if batter steps out of the box, when he is not supposed to. What's that got to do with safety? Fed just wants to be different and I wish they would stick to safety differences, like malicious contact, force play slide rule, etc.