The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 21, 2002, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Here is my two cents worth on this very contraversial issue

1) None of us know you personally, I think you should go to your mentor (if you don't have one, get one!!) and ask him/her what they think.

2) My "beef" w/ some local camps is sometimes the clinitions aren't the best. From some of my expierences (have been to 8 camps in last 2 years), I have found newer officials benifiting more from a "more expensive" camps, just because of the clinitions and the way it is run. Please undersand I am not trying to degrade anyone who attends local camps (i do myself), or runs them, some are great, but others aren't. The important thing are taht these camps are being run, the coordiantors have a passion and wish to share the knowledge, that is great!! I have no knowledge of what camps are like in your area (in my area, the local camps are horrible, but we're wking on them...), that is why i suggested you talk to your mentor, but i think if you want to make sure you get a lot out of it, go to a good camp, NOT a collegiate camp, but a good 2-man camp. Talk to the camp coordinator and ask him for input, "I am a young official and i am looking to get better and learn the ropes, is this camp the camp for me?" When you are being clinitioned, tell the clinitions this is your first year, they will understand (if they dont', they don't belong there!). I commend you, a first year offical being so passionate about officiating. Keep it up, and let us know how it turns out!!
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball camps

There is a camp, Midwest Referee School, that is really construtive in the 3 person mechanic's. It is inexpensive and you spend 3 days eating and sleeping basketball. Your experience with excellent division I, II and III officials will be rewarding. The coodinator's model is, "if you are not on the court". "You're in the classrom". No idile moments and you are feed information regarding the game.

If you wish to referee better games. You have to earn it by bettering yourself. The future is good solid camps to prepare you for your next move up.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2002, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Just wanted to share my first camp experience for some of the guys who are preparing for camps and/or wondering what to expect, and what they will get out of camp.

This camp was mostly attended by officials working or wishing to work the D-II conference that the camp director assigns for. For me, I wanted to improve, get some exposure to those working at this level, and mostly to see people who are doing it right. This is because most of the officials in my area that I have worked with don't work nearly hard enough to get things done right. I see some of the most respected officials around me being lazy, smarting off to coaches and players, and mainly just showing a lack of respect for the game and the job they have to do. For me and to this end the camp was a great success. I learned some things about myself and where I am at compared to where I want to be, some of it very humbling, I found out I am not quite as good as I thought I was. I met many great people and had lots of fun. I believe many of the things I picked up on will make me a better official.