Thread: Camps
View Single Post
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 11:54am
Do not give a damn!!

It is a personal decision.

If you want to pay the $400 to just be appart of the camp. Then pay about another $400 or more for travel and room and board and you may or may not learn anything, be my guest. You might not ever see these people again. You might not ever get the same ideals from the people that you just went to camp with in your local area, and now this young officials is going to use things that they people that will "actually" be making decisions about their future may or may not agree with.

I have been on this board for a long time, I have been taught things very different from what others have in different parts of the country. Forunately I have been in an area that is exposed to officials from all levels. From the NBA to Pee Wee Leagues (or the pros in the other sports that I do too). I know that everyone is or will not be expose to that kind of teaching on a regular basis. Especially because everyone is not right next to a big city as large as the one I live, and this is where more officials have higher level officials located in their areas.

If someone has money to burn or potentially throw away, then they can go to those kind of camps all they want. But for those of us that spending nearly a $1000 in expenses to go to one camp that they might not get very much personal attention in, might be too much for most. Stay local and get what you need from the people that will actually be assigning you games and evaluating you as an official. I think that is better than having to take a plane or drive for days just to see people that you may or may not have to deal with. I would never say never go, there is a time and there is a place, but for someone that is just starting out, unless this camp is in your back yard and right around where you live, save your money.

This debate is no different than saying buy an SUV over a regualar car. There are +'s and -'s to everything. You just have to decide what works for you. I am a veteran and I cannot still find any reason at this stage to go to these camps when in the end it will only be throwing money at those camp directors rather than getting hired or really taking away something that I can use at home. I personally think you are better off doing some extensive reading and applying it to court with people that will actually see you during the year.

Peace