Thread: Camps
View Single Post
Old Mon May 20, 2002, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I will jump in the fray...
I will lean towards local camps for a new guy for a couple of reasons.
Although I agree that you can get a perspective, and might learn stuff you have to unlearn, the people who run the local camps are the ones who can make or break a local career. and you need to use their "bad stuff" to make it.

I know from first hand and others around me, sometimes the things you learn at the advanced camps wont help you because people give you the "deer in the headlights" look when you talk about things. I have learned things as many as 10 years ago that people still look at you like youre a moron.

I know a couple of officials in our area who have gone to big name camps (Coast to Coast) and are top notch officials, and they learned stuff that helped them move up to JC and pro ball, but did it help them in the high school association? nope! labelled as "pro officials" and they have had a heckuva time getting over that...

New officials need basics, basics, basics. They need the information and skills to ref a lw level ball game.

For example I worked this weekend with a newer and was refereeing some varsity boys at a clinic this past weekend.

He had no clue about primary calls. He had no idea that when it starts in your primary and goes to the basket that he has to take it, particularly when I am off ball with the big low-post players. He needed to work on basics like the 3 point signal and the way he turned his body on the floor..
he also neede to figure out that when a ball bounces off a defender's foot it is not a kick.

Tha's where a local camp comes in, you can work with the guys like that. so they dont screw someone else up in a game