Thread: Camps
View Single Post
Old Fri May 10, 2002, 12:53pm
9 times

There are really two schools of thought on this topic. One is to start small and simple--go to a local HS camp and get instruction from your peers and work on two man mechanics.

The other is to go to "big time" camps where the instructors are college refs. These camps will generally focus on two and three man mechanics with some working only on the three man game.

My personal feeling is to go to the camps where the best instruction is given. That will mean go to the "big time" camps (do not mistake this for "try out" camps where no instruction is given--it is just an opportunity to get hired by a college assignor). I believe that leaning from those who are the best at what they do is the best route to follow. I would initially try to find camps where instruction is given in two and three man mechanics. Much more is generally taught at these camps than the positioning on the floor--dealing with coaches and players, posture, presentation, call selection, etc. Well worth the extra bucks, IMO, for what you get out of it.

I have used this method myself and it has worked very well for me--9 yrs officiating, 5 as a varsity official, 2 state championship games, several state tournaments worked, college leagues and league tournaments. My only regret is that I waited until the end of my second year to go to camp for the first time.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019