Thread: Camps
View Single Post
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 09:28am
9 times

Re: Re: Re: Stay local.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
You do not have to agree. To each his own. If you want to learn you are better off learning IMO around people that you will have to work with.

Too often I have seen officials take this route and while they get some good training, they also get lots of the local "expert's" bad habits too.

Now officials that have been around the block and have advanced far and are looking for other experiences and training, the "cash" cow camps might be what they need to learn. Those officials might have already outdone the folks in their area and need "advanced" training.

Why limit yourself from the beginning? Go to the best instructors you can find. Why not learn the best way first instead of unlearning at a later date? So often at the camps I go to I hear guys "yeah, butting" the clinicians because they were taught another (inferior) way of doing things. The "yeah, butting" is counter-productive and makes the clinicians not want to work with them.

It was for the "training" of younger officials. Newer officials need different attention. They do not need to be thrown in with officials that are only their to get hired and do not care to make others look good. They need to be where other officials are there to learn and that to me is a better environment.

I don't agree. I found it very helpful to work (as a new official) with guys who had lots of experience and could help me on the court. I never got a chance to work with guys like this at home (I am speaking specifically of my partners on the court), maybe they had to carry me through some of the games, but I learned a lot about refereeing and also about being a lead official--how to handle your crew, dealing with coaches, etc. I watched what they did and took mental notes. That was some of the most valuable experience I got at these "big time" camps--stuff I couldn't learn at local camps because the resources weren't there.

For officials like you and I stripes, we might feel more confrontable in a "cash" camp. For the newer guys that might not be the best thing. I know I would have been intimidated earlier in my career. Most of us would be.

Peace
Maybe people would be intimidated. Honestly, I was there to learn and intimidation was never a thought. I was excited to learn from guys who work deep into the D1 tournament and to work with guys who already worked D1 and other college ball. I wasn't worried that I was the weak link, I wanted to learn from these guys and I honestly believe that the experience has helped me to get where I am with my officiating today.

Too often I see local guys who, for whatever reason, refuse to go to a better quality camp. They don't push themselves and they don't improve and they can't figure out why they don't get varsity games and why other guys continually pass them by. They don't try a little harder than the others and they won't break out of their comfort zone to stretch themselves. In my experience, those who will try harder and do more are the ones who get ahead in reffing.

JMO.

[Edited by stripes on May 13th, 2002 at 09:31 AM]

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019