The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

View Poll Results: What do you have on the fast break in the video clip?
Block 38 64.41%
Charge 10 16.95%
No-call 11 18.64%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
And if you are going to be critical of what kind of video player I have (cable modem running at the highest speed) then be prepared for the same comment to come back to you. Ask John McCain that question.

Peace
OK, leave technology alone and stick with officiating... you obvious do nothing all day and night but watch video of yourself officiating.

What does your video player have to do with your cable modem speed?
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
look, Rut's comment was in direct response to a personal shot from mwanr1. Personally, I thought the video card comment was meant in jest; but Rut apparently didn't.
Seriously, it was just a joke. Chill out Rut: it's only the forum. Don't be so defensive about everything Mr. Sensitive!
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I recall, you are a person that is struggling to get acceptance in your area. I do not have that kind of problem. Keep that in mind when you come here asking questions about what should or should not be called.

Peace
you are only 35 yrs old and you're having trouble with your memory. When did I ever talk to you about acceptance in my area?
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

The truth is that most of us here agree that there's a blocking foul (and probably a traveling) except for you and a few others.

I can't speak for others, but I truthfully care less about the level that you work in and the experience that you have accomplished. Most of us here share one thing in common and that is to utilize this forum as a learning tool among each other. Don't throw the "I'm a veteran official and my experience of seeing see bang/bang plays and I'm RIGHT ALL THE TIME " crap at us and expect we'll learn from it.

The fact that you spend countless hours on this forum doesn't make you any better or more knowledgeable than any one of us here. You are arrogant and I'm sure it's not just me that seems to think so.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 06:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have to say I'm surprised at how many feel it's a block. Should have added a 4th option: Unable to tell by video.

My concern is that too many think it's a block for the wrong reasons; "He wasn't set," "he hadn't stopped," etc.

If you don't think he established LGP in time, or that he broke LGP by moving into the shooter, fair enough.

And I'd say the travel call is probably 99% agreed upon here.

I'll add that the white rebounder travelled before his shot as well.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 07:26pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
And being afraid is one of the funniest comments of all. If fear was a driving factor, I do not see why anyone would want to put on the whistle and stripped shirt in the first place.
Afraid might be too strong a word, but most officials, when in doubt, will lean in varying degrees toward a no-call on a violation, and rightfully so.

Quote:

When I think I see a travel, I do not make any call. I only call what I see clearly as a travel.
But anything can be taken too far. Many officials, myself included, have said
"I would rather miss a travel than call one that wasn't." But would you rather miss ten than call one that is wrong? I wouldn't. How many?
Two? Five? Everyone must draw his own line.

A coach once told me it should be a jump ball every time the ball goes out of bounds if the official is not 100% sure who touched it last. I disagreed. There will always be a certain amount of guesses, hopefully educated guesses for the most part.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 11:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwanr1
Seriously, it was just a joke. Chill out Rut: it's only the forum. Don't be so defensive about everything Mr. Sensitive!
Who was upset? Did I see me use a "" or a "" smiley?

No you did not.

If you cannot take getting dirty, do not play in the mud.

Quote:
OK, leave technology alone and stick with officiating... you obvious do nothing all day and night but watch video of yourself officiating.

What does your video player have to do with your cable modem speed?
Where I live we have access to all kinds of video of all kinds of sports of all kinds of plays and situation. One of the people that is on my football crew helped start this trend in my state in football and even in basketball in my state. We review tape of all kinds of plays all the time. And right now I am teaching a football class where we use a lot of video to teach rules and philosophy. And I bought a digital video recorder and I have taped several games I have worked so I can see things I do as well as my partners. Yes, I watch tones of video of others because of the enormous amounts of high school games seen on TV. And I review games I work to see my good and bad mechanics and good and bad calls made by the crew.

Quote:
you are only 35 yrs old and you're having trouble with your memory. When did I ever talk to you about acceptance in my area?
So you are a full time varsity official in your area and have not talked about getting a break on this board?

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Fri Aug 08, 2008 at 11:35pm.
Old Fri Aug 08, 2008, 11:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Afraid might be too strong a word, but most officials, when in doubt, will lean in varying degrees toward a no-call on a violation, and rightfully so.

But anything can be taken too far. Many officials, myself included, have said
"I would rather miss a travel than call one that wasn't." But would you rather miss ten than call one that is wrong? I wouldn't. How many?
Two? Five? Everyone must draw his own line.
I did not know there was a count. I do not want to miss any call, period. And I certainly do not want to call a travel that is not there. I would rather miss a minor or technical travel, then call a travel that clearly is not there.

Quote:
A coach once told me it should be a jump ball every time the ball goes out of bounds if the official is not 100% sure who touched it last. I disagreed. There will always be a certain amount of guesses, hopefully educated guesses for the most part.
OooooKaayyyyyy!!!

Peace
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 12:20am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I do not want to miss any call, period. And I certainly do not want to call a travel that is not there. I would rather miss a minor or technical travel, then call a travel that clearly is not there.

A minor or technical travel? Minor I guess I can figure out, but you may have to enlighten some of the rest of us to what a technical travel is. It is admirable, if unrealistic, to not want to miss any call, but if you cannot clearly see a travel in the video on this thread, good luck to you.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 12:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
A minor or technical travel? Minor I guess I can figure out, but you may have to enlighten some of the rest of us to what a technical travel is. It is admirable, if unrealistic, to not want to miss any call, but if you cannot clearly see a travel in the video on this thread, good luck to you.
A technical travel would be an example of someone moving their pivot foot a couple of inches rather than a couple of feet. Or when someone calls a travel on a jump stop because one foot came down a split second before the other and we do not consider the feet to come down simultaneously.

I guess you have never heard the term, "Call the Obvious" either?

And no I do not see a travel on the spin move. Sorry, I cannot see how that is so obvious half a court away. Then again, my life is not depending on it either.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 01:03am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
A technical travel would be an example of someone moving their pivot foot a couple of inches rather than a couple of feet. Or when someone calls a travel on a jump stop because one foot came down a split second before the other and we do not consider the feet to come down simultaneously.

I guess you have never heard the term, "Call the Obvious" either?

And no I do not see a travel on the spin move. Sorry, I cannot see how that is so obvious half a court away. Then again, my life is not depending on it either.

Peace
So it's okay to move the pivot foot a couple of inches. How many?

I have heard call the obvious, but I've also heard that if you call only the obvious you let a lot go, which I know many players and coaches like.

I find that a travel in a case like this is perhaps easier to see from this distance than close up. It allows you to see the whole picture, that the player had control of the ball, and that he moved both feet, one then the other, a couple of feet, not a couple of inches.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 01:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So it's okay to move the pivot foot a couple of inches. How many?
Well when someone pivots on their legal pivot foot, I do not think I have ever seen it stay in the same place. Maybe it is pure physics, but I do not see many travels call on a pivot of a pivot foot, even if that foot technically moves out of the original spot.

Quote:
I have heard call the obvious, but I've also heard that if you call only the obvious you let a lot go, which I know many players and coaches like.
Interesting, I never said "only" in that statement. But if everyone is puzzled by the violations and fouls you are calling, no one is really going to care if you are technically right, but in the spirit of the game wrong. I am sure you will not understand that statement either.

Quote:
I find that a travel in a case like this is perhaps easier to see from this distance than close up. It allows you to see the whole picture, that the player had control of the ball, and that he moved both feet, one then the other, a couple of feet, not a couple of inches.
He did move both feet, but moving both feet does not make it a travel. When you move your feet makes it a travel. There was a dribble in there somewhere. Forgive me if I cannot tell when the dribble actually ended.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 01:53am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Interesting, I never said "only" in that statement.

Maybe it was some other statement.

Quote:
When I think I see a travel, I do not make any call. I only call what I see clearly as a travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicitionary.com

Obvious

definition: easily seen

synonym: clear

.................................................. ......................................

Contradictory

definition: asserting the opposite; inconsistent

Quote:

But if everyone is puzzled by the violations and fouls you are calling, no one is really going to care if you are technically right, but in the spirit of the game wrong.
The ones who are puzzled probably don't know what is "technically right," and "spirit of the game wrong" sounds like a term which is uh, let's just say, open to a wide range of interpretations.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 02:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe it was some other statement.
So you are taking a statement that was not associated with, "Call the obvious." Very interesting, way to take one comment and try to apply it to another statement totally unrelated to the last statement.

Quote:
The ones who are puzzled probably don't know what is "technically right," and "spirit of the game wrong" sounds like a term which is uh, let's just say, open to a wide range of interpretations.
Personally I really do not care what you think about this single play. I did not ask you about it in the beginning and I am not really trying to convince you of anything right now. I can sleep at night about one travel call missed or made on a game far, far away, with officials I will likely never meet. This would not be the first missed travel in a game and it certainly will not be the last. Traveling is one of the most inconsistently called violations in all of basketball at all levels. Officials call them when they are not actually there, and officials do not call them when they are clearly there.

I do not recall that this was a game breaking call or that anyone really was making a big deal out of it but the people here on this discussion board. Actually the video that was submitted did not even use that as the premise for posting the video online. It sounds like it is a struggle for you to know that people do not agree with you on this. Personally I could be the only one that thinks this is not a travel and nothing in my life is going to change as a result. It is just another discussion where people like to “Monday Morning Quarterback” a play they had the opportunity to run over and over again. The official in this game did not get that opportunity. They had one shot and they made a decision. Whether it is right or not, I am sure God has other things to worry about or other things to condemn them for.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sat Aug 09, 2008 at 02:32am.
Old Sat Aug 09, 2008, 02:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Well this thread went down the toilet pretty quick.