The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Curious....Runner on second, no outs. BU in slot behind shortstop. Batter hits grounder to SS. SS checks runner back to second and throws to 1st to get BR. Runner at 2nd goes for third, 1st baseperson throws to third to try for tag out. BU calls BR out....Poll Question ?? Does BU turn and make call at 3rd or does PU come up line to make call...Have asked this question last couple days at games with different umpires and get different answer...Book I believe says PU...Have found this to be good pre-game discussion.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
The dance

Accepted practice says that the PU should take the call at third for a number of reasons:
  1. the BU is heading toward 1st to watch for a potential pulled foot which is common on this play,
  2. the PU has the perfect 90 degree angle on the play whereas the BU will be looking through the runner's back,
  3. the PU really has nothing else to do other than be a spectator.

The critical thing to remember here is that after making the call at 1st, the BU has to head for home for a potential play there on an overthrow of 3rd; all the while avoiding F3's throwing lane (and causing the overthrow of third).

Yet another complication to this play can happen if the BR is safe at 1st and that's a throw back from 3rd to 2nd to attempt to retire the greedy BR. The best thing for the BU to do if the runner is safe at first is to move to a position between the pitcher's plate and 2nd out of F3's throwing lane and watch the play at 3rd. If the ball is not caught, then move closer to home while watching the runner on 3rd. If she goes then move toward the plate and yell to your partner (the PU), "I've got the plate". The PU should then move into a position to take a potential call at 2nd. If the runner on 3rd does not try for home on the over throw, move back toward 2nd for a potential play there and let your partner know, "I've got 2nd". The PU should then head back toward home for a potential follow-up play there, lingering a bit to make sure that there isn't going to be a late play at 3rd on a sleeping runner there.

Done properly the dance can be a thing of beauty.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Nicely put, Sam. At the risk of being very politically incorrect - who sez this old white boy can't dance.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

With the exception of the first throw of a defensive play, the PU always has the play at third involving a lead runner. If it is not the lead runner, BU has the call. Of course, with proper communications, this can always be worked out between the blues when variating from the accepted mechanic.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Last night 18U game........

Runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out (I am in C), ball hit sharply to F6.......I expect a tag of R1 from 2nd. F6 looks at the runner as she breezes by (within arms length) ......and then decides to throw to F3 for the out at 1st......it was a banger.......God that was the ugliest out call I ever made.........

I think I was still in shock that F6 passed up the easy tag.........(grin)

Joel
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
Last night 18U game........

Runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out (I am in C), ball hit sharply to F6.......I expect a tag of R1 from 2nd. F6 looks at the runner as she breezes by (within arms length) ......and then decides to throw to F3 for the out at 1st......it was a banger.......God that was the ugliest out call I ever made.........

I think I was still in shock that F6 passed up the easy tag.........(grin)

Joel
Never do what you think would be the right play, do they?
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2001, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Just when you think they do..........

Papa S.........

That's why I prefer the older girls..............99 times out of 100 they DO what you expect..........but boy when they don't...........look out.

The younger kids..........10U and below........you really have to stay sharp........because you NEVER know what is going to happen.

I had a 12U (plate) and 18U (BU) last night.......one of the girls I called out on the IF rule........(I coached her when my middle daughter was 6 and she was 5).........our district had not used the IF for 10U until this year so she was not familiar with the rule (this being her first year in 12U and never having it called on her before)........

Needless to say.....she was not a happy camper when she was called out by me (her very first coach) on a dropped IF............we made up at the ballpark tonight .........(grin)

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Apr 26th, 2001 at 11:00 PM]
Old Fri Apr 27, 2001, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Infield Fly ??

Joel....Speaking ASA...The Infield Fly is still not used in 10 & under tournament play is it ???
Old Fri Apr 27, 2001, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

10U ASA infield fly

I'm not Joel, but so far as I know, the only age restrictions on IFR are local rules.

Personally, I think this is silly on the part of the ASA. The intention of the IFR is to protect the offense. Maybe 1 out of 100 10U teams would have enough skill and coordination on defense to take advantage of the double play potential, and even then they could only pull it off occasionally, and so at 10U the rule actually penalizes the offense by providing a guaranteed out.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2001, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Maybe so, but at younger ages, don't you want an out. Isn't every ball that's hit a "mystery tour" as to where the ball will end up & how it'll get there. I don't mind watching some of those younger games, but I don't want to be on the field during them.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2001, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Good point...

God bless 'em, they have to learn some time.

Maybe a cheap out every now and then is a good thing.

Maybe at 10U the purpose of the IFR becomes kind of a mercy rule (mercy on the umpire) rather than protecting the offense.