The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 08:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

The following post on another thread.....

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Quote:
Originally posted by tnroundballref
I guess so many officals getting it wrong for so many years makes it tough on guys who get it right.
BINGO! The cause of about 95% of the problems... [/B]
.....made me curious to take a poll on what call at the HS level is the most mis-called by officials.

My vote goes to the over and back where B1 hits the ball off A1 into the backcourt and the ball is then recovered by A1. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen a no call on this. I'd have enough to buy that Bobby Knight pinata.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 09:12pm
Administrator

I have two nominees:

#1: The block/charge foul. A block is called far too many times when a charge is the correct call.

#2: Disconcerting action by bench personnel. I am sorry but I could not resist.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Anytime there is contact there is a chance for a wrong call. So here is a list
1. Block/charge. enough said already. I don't know anyone who is 100% on calling it correctly. I did a summer game where there were two crashes that my parnter and I disagreed on. We each just allowed the person who's call it was to make it.
2. Pushing through a one on two. I had a Div 1 official tell me this is his hardest call to make.
3. Illegal Screens. Are we watching off ball enough to see the whole play. Especially those screens away from the ball.
4. Pass/crash. stay with the passer as trail. Same discipline that we use for the three point shot.
5. Defender virtical, offense draws a call. Too quick to blow the whistle.
6. Overtheback. It is ok to be behind someone and outjump them to a ball. It is not ok to diplace the player in front of you or allow him to make a play on the ball. Please report this as a push. Not "Over the back". The coaches think that wording is in the rule book.

[Edited by Tim Roden on Jul 29th, 2003 at 12:47 AM]
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

I say it is the 5 or 10 second violation. How often do you see a guy taking the ball out, and the cout gets up to 4, and he lofts a high arc pass to someone 30 feet away. Many officials stop counting when the ball is released, when they should be waiting for the ball to be touched.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
On the five second violation of a throw in, the release is when you stop counting. On the 10 second back court violation it is the touch after the ball is passed from player a1 in backcourt to a2 in front court that the count ends.

[Edited by Tim Roden on Jul 29th, 2003 at 12:48 AM]
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 02:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I have two nominees:

#1: The block/charge foul. A block is called far too many times when a charge is the correct call.

Disagree with #2. There is only one official in the whole country that gets this call wrong. I am sorry but I could not resist either!
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 02:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
I say it is the 5 or 10 second violation. How often do you see a guy taking the ball out, and the cout gets up to 4, and he lofts a high arc pass to someone 30 feet away. Many officials stop counting when the ball is released, when they should be waiting for the ball to be touched.
This would be an example of an offical getting it wrong,and making it hard for the officials who get it right-like Tim Roden above.

Your version of the 5 second throw in rule was changed about 25 years ago,LDUB.Count now stops on release by thrower-in.You're right on the 10 second count going backcourt to frontcourt,though. Welcome to the board,btw.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 06:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB

...What Tim and JR said.

Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

.....made me curious to take a poll on what call at the HS level is the most mis-called by officials.
Hands down, without a doubt, the kicking violation is the winner. Probably 80%-90% of the time that a ball is deflected, unintentionally, off a defender below the knee, a kick ball is called. Rule of thumb that works most of the time--if the defender's foot is on the floor when the ball strikes him, it wasn't intentional.

This just happened to me in the summer league I play in. The ball got fired off my foot on an entry pass, I'm going to run it down and the whistle blows. "Am I supposed to move my foot out of the way when he throws the ball at it?" was met by a blank stare.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 08:14am
In Memoriam

Exclamation Geez!

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Rule of thumb that works most of the time--if the defender's foot is on the floor when the ball strikes him, it wasn't intentional.

There are no "Rules of Thumbs" for the kick.

Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

1) A high, ugly dribble that is called a carry when the hand never goes under (or even to the side) of the ball.

2) A travel call on a bobbled pass when the received never gained control of the ball.

Z
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 09:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

I have to agree with Mark D. on both of them.

I call LOTS of charges each season, because legal guarding position isn't as hard to obtain and maintain as most people think.

Also, I almost had a near riot when B1 slapped the ball off A1's leg and the ball went into the backcourt and picked up by A1. Tweet. Almost another tweet for a technical.

Rich
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I have two nominees:

Almost agree. I think travel is the call called wrong the most, either way (whistle or no wistle).

Block/charge close second.

Quote:

Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Geez!

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Rule of thumb that works most of the time--if the defender's foot is on the floor when the ball strikes him, it wasn't intentional.

There are no "Rules of Thumbs" for the kick.

Rule of big toe?
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

quick whistle on held ball

This may not go along with mis-applying a rule but it is one of my pet peeves. Quick whistle on a held ball. Half the time the ball is really not in control by either team or you have a player doing a "Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka jump off the top rope" to dive on top of a player going for a loose ball and instead of calling a foul we call a jump ball. Usually when I call this foul the first thing out of the coaches mouth is " He was going for the ball !!" and I say "Coach, I had to call the foul before he went for the sleeper hold !"

[Edited by tnroundballref on Jul 29th, 2003 at 11:36 AM]