The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 02:00pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
I thought someone else made that comment. The Intentional foul was a great call and I'm glad it wasn't a flagrant because it looked like it at first. Replay showed the refs got it right. But I felt they happened because the players were frustrated with how the game was being called. Both teams are well coached and well-disciplined and it would not have been a dirty game. It would have been a physical game but well played had the refs not blown the whistle so much.
Contradiction at it's finest! How can the words "intentional, flagrant & frustrated players" go hand in hand with "well coached & well-disciplined"

I thought you said the game was poorly officiated?? But the intentional was a great call. That must've went against the team you were cheering for...
I'm officially done with this thread.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke
Do you guys honestly believe that name-calling is going to help this kid develop some insight into some of the problems with his comments? You completely cede the high-road when you call anyone a "backstabbing, integrity-lacking scumbage" or whatever it was.

If anything, you're only driving him more securely into his probably-preconceived notion that he already knows a lot and everybody on this board who disagrees is just an old fart.

If he's not going to take the mentoring advice offered him a couple of pages back, either keep trying to give it or ignore him, but for cripes sake don't let the guy drag you into the adolescent gutter.
When someone is a repeat offender, they haven't learned a damn thing and they never will. T'hell with him. We don't need clowns like him sullying up our avocation.

If he wants to dump on his fellow officials, then he's got absolutely no complaint when one of his fellow officials dumps on him.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I suggest you find tapes of the two games and take some notes
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 02:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
There were simply bunch of calls that were wrong or should not have been called and replay clearly showed that.

Instead Mater Dei wins and I'm not convinced they are the best team because of the way the game was called.

But I've learned to make my own calls and if an more experienced disagrees with me well that is their problem.

edit- Communication, technique, dealing with coaches, position, and rules are things I listen to the more experienced refs. But I will take my judgment during a game over most of them.
That is just about all you need to know about this particular first-year official. Pretty much sums him up perfectly.

Y'all have fun trying to turn him into an official.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That is just about all you need to know about this particular first-year official. Pretty much sums him up perfectly.

Y'all have fun trying to turn him into an official.
I didn't realize Doug Gotlieb was reffing now. Or posting here.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I didn't realize Doug Gotlieb was reffing now. Or posting here.
Back-stabbing, intergrity-lacking scumbag is one thing.

"Doug Gottlieb" is taking the low-blows to an entirely new level...
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do in the last idiotic thread you started - instead of asking for specific analysis of a particular play, or asking general questions about philosophy of game management, etc, you have chosen to dump on three specific officials who have an immeasurable amount more experience and knowledge than you.

It's simple, really - around here you're either with us or against us. You appear to have chosen the latter.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 02:59pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Tell you what. Why don't YOU find the tapes and then you can use them at the camp you plan to run this summer.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
breeze, you made this statement above yet socal saw the same game and made this observation:

I am now confused to how this game was actually played.
socal didn't make that observation. He's likely one of the veteran officials lpbreeze was referring to who agreed with him that the game was poorly officiated.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 03:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
You're doing exactly what you said you wouldn't do in the last idiotic thread you started - instead of asking for specific analysis of a particular play, or asking general questions about philosophy of game management, etc, you have chosen to dump on three specific officials who have an immeasurable amount more experience and knowledge than you.
Exactly. There isn't one of us who hasn't missed a call, made a terrible call or had a bad game. And nobody feels worse than an official when he's been in that situation. And we all have been. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting an honest critique or evaluation at those times. Hopefully, we can learn something from it.

When you just haphazardly dump over a complete officiating crew without giving any real tangible or credible reason for doing so however, you've gone way too far imo. And when you repeatedly do so, it becomes very telling. If the officials missed a call, explain the call and why you think it was missed. If the officials are out of position, give examples. When you just say "phantom fouls" and "whistle happy", you're simply moving into fanboy territory. We take enough crap from know-nothing fans without having so-called fellow officials doing exactly the same thing.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 03:57pm
Esteemed Participant

Come on guys, I think we all need to lighten up a little on our Little Breeze...it is patently obvious that the system in California is fatally flawed and officials were chosen who screwed the whole thing up by making phantom calls and trying to decide the game instead of just letting the players play. Wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't some betting on the side - you know how those refs are about gambling on their games! If only Li'l Breezy had been picked to ref that game, THEN we would have seen some incredible judgement calls and one helluva well reffed game!!
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

That post seemed a little long-winded.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 04:02pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Was it unprofessional and thin-skinned, also???
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 04:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I agree with Sisyphus.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Was it unprofessional and thin-skinned, also???
You just blew right by my point.

(Used with permission.)