The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 11:15am
Archaic Power Monger

I have a brilliant idea....let's get rid of officials for state championship games. That way the players truly would decide the game...

Nobody steal this idea, I'm marketing it to my state this year.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
that's nice. did you see the Mack-Compton game(Div 1)- that was fun to watch. Well officiated. It was clear the better team won unlike the Div II game where the refs clearly affected how the teams played and substituted making them a factor.
You clearly are incapable of learning. I knew a kid like you once in the military, I thought basic training would help him. It didn't. I thought experience would help him. It didn't.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:48pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
You clearly are incapable of learning. I knew a kid like you once in the military, I thought basic training would help him. It didn't. I thought experience would help him. It didn't.
So he moved to California and took up reffing???
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 04:03pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Now that's classic!
Old Wed Mar 26, 2008, 09:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
No. He moved to Missouri and became an officer.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Here in Kentucky, the State Tourney our "Sweet 16" is offiiciated by the top 16 officials with in our 16 Regions. We have a rating system the is combined with the coaches(80%) and our assignor(20%) that gives us a ranking with in our region. This is used and sent to the state tourney director and he has the option to take 1 of the top 3 officials.. Don't really think we have a great system, but it's a work in progress. There are way to many things that can go on politically with this system because the coaches have so much power(80%) and of course it goes on. But after you finally make it to the state tourney, you are evaluated again by the state tourney directors and only guaranteed one game at state. This year I was able to work 3 and sat at the table as the alternate for 1 game. We always have 4 officials on every game, to chart the other officials calls and to be ready just in case we have an injury and need someone to take over. I was lucky enough to get to work the Semi Finals on saturday morning. Was my first state tourney and it was a wonderful experience. Can't wait to go back, hopefully get to work the finals.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Canada....

....at least where I'm from....

Provincial championship spots are assigned depending on (1) where the tournament is being held, as they move around every year, (2) local association and (3) Provincial criteria.

If a tourney's being held in a particular association's area, they are guaranteed at least 2-3 assignments to that event. The other assc's within reasonable distance of that area will get the rest. For example, at the 4A Boys tournament, there are 12 officials; four from the area where the tournament's being held, and eight from the rest of the province. The bigger cities tend to get relatively more assignments, of course, but even if you're from the middle of nowhere - if you're good, you'll go eventually.

Locally, an association's evaluation committee will appoint people, presumably on merit, potential, etc, and send the list onto the provincial association, who will check exam scores and other criteria before signing off on it.

I think some provinces do it centrally - ie. the provincial association takes in names from around the province and then makes the assignments. I know B.C. does that.

I was assigned to a tournament this year, and was fortunate enough to do the championship game.

It still surprises me a bit that you allow coaches input into who gets to do state tournaments....and surprises me still that it's always been like that, and that it seems to actually work out alright. Here, certainly coaches can give input - and respected coaches' opinions are taken seriously - but they have zero impact on who goes and who doesn't.