The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 05:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow Rule change time again

Now that the NF season is over, we may as well spend some time discussing desired rule changes.

Here's mine:

1. change from 8 minute quarters to 16 minute halves - games are long enough without two "extra" timeouts.

2. allow taunting, but also allow retaliation for it - this would make the games much more entertaining

3. require all players, coaches, trainers, announcers and spectators to pass a rules quiz prior to allowing them entrance into the gym

OK - I only meant the first one seriously, but the other two would be kind of cool.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

We are playing 18 minute halves here in Minnesota. They made the change 2 years ago and it has been great. No one holds for one shot midway through the half like they would at the end of the first or third qtr.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Here are my proposed changes:

1. A coach's request for a time out may only be recognized when the ball is dead, including after a made basket.

2. Remove the now-extraneous free throw lane marks.

3. Change the illegal uniform penalty to be a single team technical the first time it occurs, like changing the book. And only in varsity games.

4. Switch from one-hand to two-hand reporting.

5. I've got a friend that coaches youth soccer. He was required this year to attend (USSF?) classes to certify as a youth coach in order to continue coaching (he was able to coach his first year on a waiver). I'd like to see HS basketball coaches be required to meet similar criteria. Classes would cover things like ethical behavior, sportsmanship, the proper role of sports in society, the real rules of the game. Coaches would be required to pass a proctored yearly rules test to keep their certification. Coaches who persistently misbehave may be stripped of their coaching credential for a year or more. Repeat offenders may be stripped for longer periods of time, including for life.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 07:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Repeat offenders may be stripped for longer periods of time
I'd like to see that rule for female coaches. In fact, I'd volunteer to enforce it.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Here are my proposed changes:

1. A coach's request for a time out may only be recognized when the ball is dead, including after a made basket.

2. Remove the now-extraneous free throw lane marks.

3. Change the illegal uniform penalty to be a single team technical the first time it occurs, like changing the book. And only in varsity games.

4. Switch from one-hand to two-hand reporting.

5. I've got a friend that coaches youth soccer. He was required this year to attend (USSF?) classes to certify as a youth coach in order to continue coaching (he was able to coach his first year on a waiver). I'd like to see HS basketball coaches be required to meet similar criteria. Classes would cover things like ethical behavior, sportsmanship, the proper role of sports in society, the real rules of the game. Coaches would be required to pass a proctored yearly rules test to keep their certification. Coaches who persistently misbehave may be stripped of their coaching credential for a year or more. Repeat offenders may be stripped for longer periods of time, including for life.
Curious.......why switch to two hand reporting?
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 09:40pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

1) Move players up on the free throw lane like the college rule -- this has cleaned up rebounding fouls big time.

2) Change the team control foul rule to incorporate the throw-in as well.

3) Change a technical foul to be POI instead of losing possession as well.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 09:45pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Now that the NF season is over, we may as well spend some time discussing desired rule changes.

Here's mine:

1. change from 8 minute quarters to 16 minute halves - games are long enough without two "extra" timeouts.

2. allow taunting, but also allow retaliation for it - this would make the games much more entertaining

3. require all players, coaches, trainers, announcers and spectators to pass a rules quiz prior to allowing them entrance into the gym

OK - I only meant the first one seriously, but the other two would be kind of cool.
1) Would you want this for lower levels also? Our CYO JV level (4th through 6th graders) presently has a rule that everyone must play in two quarters and no more than three in a regulation game so teams cant keep their best players in the entire game. I'm not sure how we would make this work with halves, unless we added yet more vague and confusing local rules.

2) That reminds me of the 2 on 2 arcade basketball game where you could punch your opponent to steal the ball or keep them from getting rebounds.

3) I'd also require anyone entering the gym (officials included) if they know NFHS Rule 6-4-5, since I'm convinced I'm the only one in my area who knows this rule.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

1. Adopt all collegiate rules and be done with rule changes that progress toward college basketball.

2. Have seperate rules for boys and girls basketball.

3. Do away with yearly rule changes for a five year period. Identify POE's only on a yearly basis.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 06:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
1) Would you want this for lower levels also? Our CYO JV level (4th through 6th graders) presently has a rule that everyone must play in two quarters and no more than three in a regulation game so teams cant keep their best players in the entire game. I'm not sure how we would make this work with halves, unless we added yet more vague and confusing local rules.
I like the idea of halves and not quarters. Our Youth Rec League has 20 min running halves with participation rules - players must play at least one-half of each game, players must sit 5 consecutive minutes. The coaches are very cognizant of it and do a really good job adhering to it. Works very well. Could it be abused? Sure. Game could also be forfeited. Never seen it though. But this is Youth Rec Ball. Who cares? Well, other than the kids, parents, coaches, and fans of course.....
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 07:10am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
1) Would you want this for lower levels also? Our CYO JV level (4th through 6th graders) presently has a rule that everyone must play in two quarters and no more than three in a regulation game so teams cant keep their best players in the entire game. I'm not sure how we would make this work with halves,
This is very similar to why Massachusetts went from halves back to quarters. In HS, a kid could play only 2 halves per day. So you could play the first half of the JV game and then the first half of the Varsity game. But if the coach used the kid for 2 minutes at the beginning of the game, that counted as his whole half. So now, with quarters, that kid could play 2 minutes early in the JV game, and still be eligible to play 3 quarters of the Varsity game.

It just gives the coaches more flexibility in giving out playing time.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
3. Do away with yearly rule changes for a five year period. Identify POE's only on a yearly basis.
I would be happy if they did away with rules changes for just ONE year.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-17 Extra Period is changed to sudden death.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 08:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Rule 4-17 Extra Period is changed to sudden death.
Might want to change the name, though. I've been in some small rural towns where they might take this a bit too literally.

"Do we gotta killem' all, or will one of 'em do?"

Last edited by Adam; Tue Apr 01, 2008 at 09:07am.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 08:57am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Might want to change the name, though. I've been in some small rural towns where they might taket his a bit too literally.
Other sports sometimes use the phrase "sudden victory".
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Might want to change the name, though. I've been in some small rural towns where they might take this a bit too literally.

"Do we gotta killem' all, or will one of 'em do?"
Start with the assistant coaches, work your way up to the head coach. If they still go OT at some point during the year, then the officials get to decide which player gets it next!

(That'll shut that mouthy point guard up, one way or another)