Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
my point was that in games when one team starts getting on a roll sometimes the officials start favoring the stronger team.

But the calls at the end of the Standford game were not consistent with how the game was officiated for the first 80% of the game. The game was called well just not at the end. I'm not a Stanford fan.
You're not an official either, fanboy. You might masquerade as one, but you aren't one.

You won't understand that either.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:02pm
Official & Member

Quote:
my point was that in games when one team starts getting on a roll sometimes the officials start favoring the stronger team. It usually won't last and once the other team gets a few baskets it goes back. It doesn't happen a lot. I've seen it before in Duke and UNC games many times and high school games especially. Miami/UNC game last year when the Miami coach get ejected is an example. But the calls at the end of the Standford game were not consistent with how the game was officiated for the first 80% of the game. The game was called well just not at the end. I'm not a Stanford fan.
What makes you qualified to make that statement? As a new official, you'd be well served to just try to absorb some of the knowledge here instead of offering derogatory opinions of officials far more skilled and experienced tahn yourself.
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...The other parts of the game were fine.
Do you mean the parts of the game when Stanford had the momentum and all the calls were going their way?
Esteemed Participant

Couldn't possibly be that the calls "changed" because the game changed, could it? You have said yourself that UCLA was down and then went on a roll. Well, they must have adjusted something that caused the game to change - hence the calls will change to match what is now going on out on the court.

Add to that the fact that Stanford panicked as they felt things slipping away and it's no wonder that calls "went against" Stanford...but to say that the refs "got caught up in the excitement" is pretty silly. Those were some very experienced guys who knew what they were doing out there.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the team that is down playing a more aggressive defense and creating more fouls.... It has to be the refs fault.

I hope I never have to work with you. You must throw your partners under the bus all the time....

Edited to add: Rocky beat me by a minute on the same thought....
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not attacking the refs- I'm pointing out that refs sometimes join in with a team is on a roll. I don't think they are doing it on purpose but when a team starts making mistakes and one team gets on a roll sometimes calls will go their way. I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out and I saw it yesterday during the game when Stanford lost an 11 point lead. A lot of that was their fault as I said in my original post. Oh and the replays showed the refs made 3 bad calls in the last two minutes. One I don't blame on them because it did look like a foul but only with the on court cam that it was shown not to be a foul. The second no one was even touched. And the third happened with 3 seconds to go and it was a clean block but it was called a foul. Everyone makes mistakes but I'm just saying that the refs made calls they might not have had if UCLA was not on a roll.

--------

my point was that in games when one team starts getting on a roll sometimes the officials start favoring the stronger team. It usually won't last and once the other team gets a few baskets it goes back. It doesn't happen a lot. I've seen it before in Duke and UNC games many times and high school games especially.

Last edited by lpbreeze; Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 03:07pm.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
my point was that in games when one team starts getting on a roll sometimes the officials start favoring the stronger team. It usually won't last and once the other team gets a few baskets it goes back. It doesn't happen a lot. I've seen it before in Duke and UNC games many times and high school games especially. Miami/UNC game last year when the Miami coach get ejected is an example. But the calls at the end of the Standford game were not consistent with how the game was officiated for the first 80% of the game. The game was called well just not at the end. I'm not a Stanford fan.
No one here said you were a Stanford fan; nor do they give a sh!t. Their point is that as a new official, you aren't really qualified to critique the game with credibility.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 03:07pm.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm not attacking the refs- I'm pointing out that refs sometimes join in with a team is on a roll. I don't think they are doing it on purpose but when a team starts making mistakes and one team gets on a roll sometimes calls will go their way.
I get it now. You're denigrating their competence.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I see a padlock in the very near future...
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm not attacking the refs- I'm pointing out that refs sometimes join in with a team is on a roll.

my point was that in games when one team starts getting on a roll sometimes the officials start favoring the stronger team.
We know what your point is. Our point is that you're in the wrong place to make it. You need to find a fanboy site. You'd fit right in there.

You don't fit in here.

You can critique a call, mechanics, etc. We all miss or screw up a call. We try to learn from those mistakes by discussing them. You're not doing that. All you're doing is questioning the integrity of a D1 crew. And you see nothing wrong with that. That's very telling.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

As a fan of basketball of course I can critique the calls. The holier than thou attitude here is ridiculous. yes, refs can decide games and yes poor officiating can cost a team a win. I haven't been ripping refs in my earlier posts. I'm merely point out the consistency of the calls changed in the last few minutes.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:18pm
Official & Member

Quote:
As a fan of basketball of course I can critique the calls. The holier than thou attitude here is ridiculous. yes, refs can decide games and yes poor officiating can cost a team a win. I haven't been ripping refs in my earlier posts. I'm merely point out the consistency of the calls changed in the last few minutes.
Nope. It's official. You don't get it and you likely never will.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't there a saying? "You have to know when to hold em and know when to fold em" I think I'd be folding!!!!
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
As a fan of basketball of course I can critique the calls.
You're not critiquing calls. If that's all you were doing, the response would be much more civil, even if we disagreed with you.

You're challenging the way the game was called. You're accusing the refs of letting their emotions get the better of them in a game.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
We know exactly what you're pointing out. Your posting history here has been pretty consistent also. You don't know enough to critique D1 officials and you will never understand what people here are trying to tell you either.
Closed Thread