Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
As a fan of basketball of course I can critique the calls. The holier than thou attitude here is ridiculous. yes, refs can decide games and yes poor officiating can cost a team a win. I haven't been ripping refs in my earlier posts. I'm merely point out the consistency of the calls changed in the last few minutes.
Look breeze, take this (IMO) very sound advice. Don't come here as a fanboy to criticize officials. It will not be TOLERATED!!
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Question

Quote:
As a fan of basketball of course I can critique the calls. The holier than thou attitude here is ridiculous. yes, refs can decide games and yes poor officiating can cost a team a win. I haven't been ripping refs in my earlier posts. I'm merely point out the consistency of the calls changed in the last few minutes.
OK...Well, if that's your point how about a thread where you discuss the 7 or 8 games this season where you determined the outcome and what you learned from it?
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:24pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I'm not attacking the refs- I'm pointing out that refs sometimes join in with a team is on a roll. I don't think they are doing it on purpose but when a team starts making mistakes and one team gets on a roll sometimes calls will go their way. I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out and I saw it yesterday during the game when Stanford lost an 11 point lead. A lot of that was their fault as I said in my original post. Oh and the replays showed the refs made 3 bad calls in the last two minutes. One I don't blame on them because it did look like a foul but only with the on court cam that it was shown not to be a foul. The second no one was even touched. And the third happened with 3 seconds to go and it was a clean block but it was called a foul. Everyone makes mistakes but I'm just saying that the refs made calls they might not have had if UCLA was not on a roll.

You most certainly are attacking the refs...on one hand you say that they "got caught up in the excitement" and then you say that Stanford started making mistakes. If Stanford is making mistakes, then of course calls will go against them...and saying that officials "get caught up" is attacking their abilities...

Then you start saying they "missed" calls...says who? You? So your judgement is now better than that of an experienced D-1 crew? Hard to believe...
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you're going to look at the game "as a fan", then go to a fansite where your posts are welcomed and accepted. Because posting here with that mentality, obviously, is not acceptable.

And until you can ref D1 ball to the level of other D1 officials, keep your deragotory remarks to yourself. Either respect your elders or go to a fanboy site and get it off your chest there. I think that's been mentioned once or twice before.

Last edited by rockchalk jhawk; Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 03:28pm.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Breeze...Listen...

http://www.last.fm/music/Kenny+Rogers/_/The+Gambler
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Not a good way to get respect...

Quote:
yes, refs can decide games and yes poor officiating can cost a team a win
I will tell you one thing, if this is the mentality and attitude you have toward your fellow peers, you will not be highly regarded by many other officials.

This is one comment that will definitely put you on the chopping block amongst officials. By this comment, you are saying that neither teams performance and/or errors caused them to be in an unfavorable position late in the game? You are also saying that every turnover or missed shot or missed free throw had no influence on the game?

You should pick your thoughts and words a little better (especially as a new official) when discussing the judgment of others.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Fine. take out the whole Stanford/UCLA part. I haven't been coming here after seeing a game and criticizing the refs.
Most of the time I would say the following is just perception and can occur with a team being more aggressive but it does HAPPEN and refs should be careful to watch out for it.

Have refs been caught up in the excitement of a game, especially one that is close, and made calls that were not consistent with how the game was being called before. YES!

Do refs get caught up when a team is on a roll and start favoring the team with momentum? Yes again. These are lessons I'm learning. These mistakes happen less with NCAA and NBA refs but they do happen and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out.

I think the block was clean and this isn't a great example but it helps to show what I'm saying
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Last edited by lpbreeze; Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 03:41pm.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You have no evidence to back up your claim that refs "get caught up when a team is on a roll and start favoring the team with momentum."

That's called projecting.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
You have no evidence to back up your claim that refs "get caught up when a team is on a roll and start favoring the team with momentum."

That's called projecting.
No no, this is projecting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-emQAsGMeQ

What he's doing is spewing.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Please provide specific examples to back up your claims. Please note the date of the game, who the teams were, who the officials were and where the box scores and statistics can be found to back up the claims.

I can claim that Big Foot walks through my back yard all the time but unless I have evidence to prove it, it ain't worth 2 5h!t5
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have refs been caught up in the excitement of a game, especially one that is close, and made calls that were not consistent with how the game was being called before. YES!
Does this perceived excitment usually change how the players are playing the game? 99% of the time yes. Does this require the game to be called differently? 99% of the time yes. Does this cause an amatuer official/fanboy to think that the officals are calling the game differently? I think you know where I'm going with that one...

If one team gets on the bad end of a 10-0 run, usually it's because something in their game has changed. Maybe they're not playing good defense, not moving their feet, and fouling. Maybe one team is sitting back in a zone of defense and attacking the bucket on offense, therefore not fouling much and drawing a bunch of fouls on the other end. Maybe you're perceiving this as officials calling the game "differently," rather than just doing their jobs.

You're not looking at the big picture, and probably not quite educated enough (in regards to officiating, I'm sure you're a smart guy that your mother is proud of) to be running your mouth like you have been today...
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Do refs get caught up when a team is on a roll and start favoring the team with momentum? Yes again. These are lessons I'm learning. These mistakes happen less with NCAA and NBA refs but they do happen and there is nothing wrong with pointing that out.

I think the block was clean and this isn't a great example but it helps to show what I'm saying
that http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
Sigh.....

As predicted, he used some fanboy blog to try and back up his nonsense.

Go away, fanboy. Shoo, shoo......
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From ths article: "Now, even with every call, Haith wasn't going to win this game."

So the refsf didn't give the game awway.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever. Those two questions I posted are legitimate. If you disagree with the answers that is fine.
Perhaps because many of you haven't played in so long you are forgetting. But players, fan and coaches will answer Yes to both. In most instances I do think it is perception and they are wrong but it does HAPPEN.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Aha...now we are getting somewhere! In one of your earlier posts you flat-out stated that the calls were bad calls and that the refs missed them...here you add the words "you think" it was a clean block. When you can fully comprehend the difference between those two statements, then it will be time for you to leave the temple, grasshopper.
Closed Thread