Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
Whatever. Those two questions I posted are legitimate. If you disagree with the answers that is fine.
Perhaps because many of you haven't played in so long you are forgetting. But players, fan and coaches will answer Yes to both. In most instances I do think it is perception and they are wrong but it does HAPPEN.
I havnt been refing long, but one thing I've learned is that fans, coaches and players are one-sided. THey aren't neutral. THe refs work hard to be nutral. Aat least the good ones do. WHen yuo say yure a fan, you show that your not beinh\g a ref. You just cant do both..

edited to fix typing == some of it

also to add: My brain has a couple of "wiring proglems". I don't always understand metaphors or sarcasm. Hints and allusions do work for me. But logic I can do quite well. Thinking logically, D1 refs have to be the MOST neutral, the MOST unemotional, the MOST dispassionate. They have to be the highest quality. If you put that thought as the assumption in your arguement, you quickly arrive at the only possible conclusion in answering the question, "Are the refs giving away the game?" If A, then B = The best refs don't give away the game.

Last edited by SonikBoom; Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 04:03pm.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But players, fan and coaches will answer Yes to both.
Because they care who wins. The officials are the ONLY objective parties involved in the game.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Whatever. Those two questions I posted are legitimate. If you disagree with the answers that is fine.
Perhaps because many of you haven't played in so long you are forgetting. But players, fan and coaches will answer Yes to both. In most instances I do think it is perception and they are wrong but it does HAPPEN.
Dang it...just when I think we are getting somewhere, then you go and talk about what the players, fans, and coaches think. Since we aren't any of those groups and can't look at the game the same way any of those groups do, I guess you aren't quite ready to walk on the rice-paper or carry that red-hot pot of coals.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

oh and I did work with an older more experienced official this year for a JV girls game who told me afterward he made a couple of calls he wished he didn't at the end of the game. He was sweating and I thought the coach yelling and the excitement of a close game got to him.
So keep up with the name calling all you guys want but I'm sticking to my points and can anyone honestly answer No to the two questions? Everyone makes mistakes and refs should work to limit them. I observed some things and I want to avoid it when I ref games.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
oh and I did work with an older more experienced official this year for a JV girls game who told me afterward he made a couple of calls he wished he didn't at the end of the game. He was sweating and I thought the coach yelling and the excitement of a close game got to him.
So keep up with the name calling all you guys want but I'm sticking to my points and can anyone honestly answer No to the two questions? Everyone makes mistakes and refs should work to limit them. I observed some things and I want to avoid it when I ref games.
Let me get this right. Since a partner you had this year told you he regretted a couple of calls, you made the mental leap to assume it was because the coaches got to him? Did he say as much, or did you make an assumption you're not qualified to make? Those are your only two options here.

Do refs make calls they regret? All the time.
Does that qualify a newby to say the excitement got to them? Absolutely not.

Frankly, if your partner was flustered by the excitement of a JV game, that's probably the highest level he's worked.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Refs are objective but there are factors that can sway them. the crowd, coaches, players perhaps. close game and to a lesser extent if a team has momentum but that is my theory.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
There's your problem right there. We aren't players, fans or coaches. We're officials. You're not. And until you stop thinking like a player, fan or coach, you will never be one of us.

Right now, you're just another back-stabbing, integrity-free douchebag of a fanboy who doesn't have any kind of clue what officiating is all about.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Refs are objective but there are factors that can sway them. the crowd, coaches, players perhaps. close game and to a lesser extent if a team has momentum but that is my theory.
Just because you have a theory, doesn't make it true.

You can be swayed so everyone else must also be swayable?

edited to correct typing.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Hello...? You people are arguing with someone who's view of experienced officiating is some guy blew some calls because he thinks he may have gotten swept up in the intensity of just being there to witness the beauty, pagentry and spectacle of a JV girls game.

Please, have some perspective. He really doesn't know what he's talking about, and he certainly is not interested in learning from you.

Let alone in hearing what you have to say.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sigh.....

Yes, fanboy. Officials don't have any balls. None of 'em. Especially the ones that work D1 ball. Happy now?

Good. Piss off.

We're just wasting our time with this particular troll.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Before this thing gets locked... let me just add

Plethora. Veritable plethora.

Its. A. Plethora.

Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
In 21 years of officiating, I've never been "swayed" by the crowd, coaches, players, the fact that a game was close or whether a team had momentum. NEVER!

OK, except for that one time when that female coach in the tight pants was such a babe that whenever I was near her bench and she bent over I just.....well, never mind.

And Dan, I don't care what you say, it never happened with a male coach. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

breeze,

Is it possible for you to address this?

How about a thread where you discuss the 7 or 8 games this season where you determined the outcome and what you learned from it?
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

And Dan, I don't care what you say, it never happened with a male coach. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Resort to name calling all you want. have you answered my two questions? I do not see anything wrong with them.
As for mistakes I've made them and everyone does at any level. The replays in the Stanford game showed the calls were wrong but everyone makes calls like that
Can someone honestly say that at a game with a home crowd going crazy that the refs might make a call they would normally not make when the game was less intense? Sure it happens less with better refs but it does happen and it is total BS if you want to claim otherwise. all right just about the last post on this topic. Now on to why the star players get the calls? Jordan, Kobe etc.
Closed Thread