The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow UCLA Texas & UCLA NW

You can learn a ton watching these games
It is amazing whe you see these High Level Blues making some of the same goofs that I as a 2nd year ump made.

Making a call before the play is over.
In UCLA Texas PU called Duran safe when F2 dropped the ball on the tag Way before Duran touched the plate. Case of PU being focused on the tag and the ball but not waiting for the paly to conclude. HAd the ball dropped straight to the ground, F2 would have had time to pick it up and apply the tag. Then he is faced with changing the call

In UCLA NW The HBP situation. Even after confering, I think they missed it but I have missed some as well, even after conferring.

I envy those of you who know and have worked with these blues: that has to be a great learning experience for you as well.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13

In UCLA NW The HBP situation. Even after confering, I think they missed it but I have missed some as well, even after conferring.
I would have to think the final ruling was that the ball was in the strike zone. I think it was two obvious that the ball did not hit the bat and the count was 0-2 when the batter returned.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I would have to think the final ruling was that the ball was in the strike zone. I think it was two obvious that the ball did not hit the bat and the count was 0-2 when the batter returned.

That is what I thought at first, Mike, but then the on-field reporter after the inning said she asked the home plate ump what the ruling was and that they ruled the batter didn't make an attempt to get out of the way.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23
That is what I thought at first, Mike, but then the on-field reporter after the inning said she asked the home plate ump what the ruling was and that they ruled the batter didn't make an attempt to get out of the way.
I can understand that, but how does that become a strike?

Personally, I do not believe the benefit of doubt should be given to the batter when stepping or swinging into the pitch.

I think it was Lisa Fernandez that repeatedly (imagine that) noted that it hit her as she was swinging. Well, it certainly isn't the pitcher's fault the batter swings at a bad pitch. Just like the TN player that took one in the face. Thank goodness she was wearing a mask or there would have been a lot of blood. However, she literally turned into the pitch.

What confuses me is that when did the batter obtain the right to place themselves in front of a pitch even if they do realize it was a mistake and tries to get out of the way? Could you imagine how many times Ron Hunt would have been given 1B if he was allowed to do that?