The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

arizona v. stanford

anyone see the end of the game on Saturday and can help me out? stanford made basket with less than 2 minutes to play, probably a lot less. Anyway, Arizona player picks the ball up and starts to throw ball in, hesitates, has now had the ball for maybe 2 seconds, suddenly you see stanford coach on the floor at about the free throw line extended, about 5 feet onto the court, calling for timeout; timeout then granted; tv shows quick shot of ref who called timeout jawing with coach. I thought college rule is same as high school, no timeout can be granted once ball becomes live in hands of player out of bounds; am I wrong or is there some other explanation for this scenario?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 05:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
anyone see the end of the game on Saturday and can help me out? stanford made basket with less than 2 minutes to play, probably a lot less. Anyway, Arizona player picks the ball up and starts to throw ball in, hesitates, has now had the ball for maybe 2 seconds, suddenly you see stanford coach on the floor at about the free throw line extended, about 5 feet onto the court, calling for timeout; timeout then granted; tv shows quick shot of ref who called timeout jawing with coach. I thought college rule is same as high school, no timeout can be granted once ball becomes live in hands of player out of bounds; am I wrong or is there some other explanation for this scenario?
I saw it. I thought that the coach was more like 15 feet on the court. Wierd( ) sequence.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

lets just agree that he was way onto the floor, in the middle of the action when the timeout was granted and the player had the ball in his hands for 2 or more seconds before a timeout was granted; had the look of a timeout that was "forced" on the ref because of where the coach was standing; It took so long to get called that I could not explain it away as merely "lag" time. Your thoughts?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 05:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
lets just agree that he was way onto the floor, in the middle of the action when the timeout was granted and the player had the ball in his hands for 2 or more seconds before a timeout was granted; had the look of a timeout that was "forced" on the ref because of where the coach was standing; It took so long to get called that I could not explain it away as merely "lag" time. Your thoughts?
I don't whether the TO was forced or the official just didn't want to call a "T". You can't ignore a coach in that situation when he's that far out on the floor. You got to do something, and the only choices were a TO or a "T".

Of course, you also don't know if the coach was trying to call a TO before that and nobody noticed his request. I couldn't tell from the replay.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

would you disagree with these assumptions:

hard to imagine a three man crew in that situation being oblivious to a coach calling timeout for several seconds; late game, ball goes in, cannot remember side the center was on but regardless, that coach would have been calling timeout for several seconds without anyone seeing, seems unlikely

I thought it was more likely that coach came running on late and official gave him benefit of the doubt instead of calling a T; tough situation for a ref if that is what happened.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 06:51pm

#1.) The rule says you can grant the TO up to the point you start your 5 second count. Once you start your count, then it is too late for the TO. If the replay clearly shows the official count at 2, then we got some problems here.

#2.) With the coach so far out on the court, couldn't the official reason that he missed the initial request and grant it even though he's into his count. I know with it being really loud, it's possible to not hear the request and then you need to go with your site.

#3.) and last, I don't think you really want to open that can of worms. In other words, draw attention to yourself as an official and T the coach in this situation. Doing that, could very well cost you an assignment later on in the playoff's. I think I'm blowing it dead and giving the coach a TO. This is a clear example of why you don't have young inexperienced officials working playoff games, because just like the knucklehead that called a OOB play late in a 5th grade girls game, you wouldn't want to stick to the letter of the law here and call a technical, imho. If the team has not in-bounded the ball yet, you can get away with it. No harm by granting. You go the other route, you're in the paper the next day, along with the coach for a dumb mistake that cost his team a conference title game. As far as that schools concern, your name will live in infinity. I know, I had this happen a couple years ago and to this day, they still remember me for that call that they felt cost them the game.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2007, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
would you disagree with these assumptions:

hard to imagine a three man crew in that situation being oblivious to a coach calling timeout for several seconds; late game, ball goes in, cannot remember side the center was on but regardless, that coach would have been calling timeout for several seconds without anyone seeing, seems unlikely

I thought it was more likely that coach came running on late and official gave him benefit of the doubt instead of calling a T; tough situation for a ref if that is what happened.
No, it's not hard to imagine. I just tried it and found it easy.

I didn't see this one so I can only speculate.

Perhaps the coach said "Time-out", the official "heard" it but it didn't register at first. The coach says it a 2nd or 3rd time and now the ref gets it and realizes the coach was asking for that all along...and, with a late whistle, grants the timeout.