Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Absolutely. Even in the Tri-City area.
But simply not true in the Portland area. And I imagine most others.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Ding, Ding!!!
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 08:19pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
But simply not true in the Portland area. And I imagine most others.
Bullsh!t. Even in the Portland area...the people who an go out and do an excellent job officiating the OC vs. Jesuit or Westview girl's can handle any game in your area. Period.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 08:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
They are two entirely different beasts
You left out the "r".
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
You left out the "r".
beastrs?

Geeze Mark, whatinthehell kinda word is that?

Almost sounds... wait for it.. French!
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Bullsh!t. Even in the Portland area...the people who an go out and do an excellent job officiating the OC vs. Jesuit or Westview girl's can handle any game in your area. Period.
/howard cosell on/
Unbelievably Rocky has resorted to profanity...but wait! That is not Rookie! That is Smitty!!! Smitty has jumped into the ring and is being pummeled by Rocky! Sportsfans this reporter must confess he has never... NEVER!... seen the likes of this in all his years of following professional sports. One might even harken back to the days of bareknuckled pugilism - AND I DO - and never encounter this level of brutality... this lever of raw athleticism tainted...yes I say tainted! Tainted by pure bloodlust. Ladies and gentlemen I am at a loss for words, we'll be back after this word from our sponsor.
/howard cosell off/
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Ding, Ding!
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:07pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Congrats to the OP on the post-season assignments.

This was my first year working a full varsity schedule. Here in Vermont, there are 4 divisions. D1 for the largest schools and D4 for the smallest. I received a variety of assignments--boys and girls--this past season. I worked all levels except for D1 boys. I had one D1/D3 boys game and a couple of D2 boys games. Am I ready to do D1 boys games next season? That is for the assignors to decide. But clearly, those are the most demanding games that are assigned.

Again, congrats to OP.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:45am
Huck Finn

I have a question, would most people on this board, who prefer boys, officiate a girls state championship if given the opportunity? What about if it was three championships in the same year?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I have a question, would most people on this board, who prefer boys, officiate a girls state championship if given the opportunity? What about if it was three championships in the same year?
I wouldn't. I would not feel that I was doing what I wanted to do and worked for. In my state it is not about working a state final, it is about working the state final I have been working for. And in reality getting a state final is a secondary goal. I want other achievements in officiating and if I am around long enough to achieve a state final, so be it. But it will not be in girl's basketball.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:37am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I wouldn't. I would not feel that I was doing what I wanted to do and worked for. In my state it is not about working a state final, it is about working the state final I have been working for. And in reality getting a state final is a secondary goal. I want other achievements in officiating and if I am around long enough to achieve a state final, so be it. But it will not be in girl's basketball.

Peace
I know what you mean man. I'm assuming your primary goals have to do with college basketball. Is that accurate?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ummm, when's the last time you worked in Portland? Westview? Jesuit? Their varsity girls are mediocre at best. I've reffed OC, Central Catholic, and Southridge girls, and they are the top programs here. Not even in the same league as any 6A or 5A boys games. There's no way you can compare those games. The speed, the intensity, the athleticism. You cannot say that someone who can work those girls games can simply walk into a 6A boys game and be prepared.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I know what you mean man. I'm assuming your primary goals have to do with college basketball. Is that accurate?
Yep.

And in this state working a state final on the boy's side is a long way off. Most officials take over 20 years before they see a state final. I am several years from that and I will take a college opportunity any day over working deep into the playoffs.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 07:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I have a question, would most people on this board, who prefer boys, ....
I prefer girls.

Just saying.....
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 10:36am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Ummm, when's the last time you worked in Portland? Westview? Jesuit? Their varsity girls are mediocre at best. I've reffed OC, Central Catholic, and Southridge girls, and they are the top programs here. Not even in the same league as any 6A or 5A boys games. There's no way you can compare those games. The speed, the intensity, the athleticism. You cannot say that someone who can work those girls games can simply walk into a 6A boys game and be prepared.
I might have the wrong names for schools, and I don't work any games in Portland, but I do know/work with/visit with many of your "top dogs" from over there - and they agree with me. If you don't, oh well.
Closed Thread