The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

T or Delay?

A1 inbounding on sideline...B1 while trying to be a distraction and guard the inbounder accidentally reaches through and slaps his arm while he is holding the ball as A1's arms are coming forward to make an overhead pass....

Official called delay of game warning. I was working clock and was thinking this was a T and he kicked it...
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
A1 inbounding on sideline...B1 while trying to be a distraction and guard the inbounder accidentally reaches through and slaps his arm while he is holding the ball as A1's arms are coming forward to make an overhead pass....

Official called delay of game warning. I was working clock and was thinking this was a T and he kicked it...
You BOTH kicked it. The correct call is an intentional PERSONAL foul.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 07:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yup, rule 9-2-10PENALTIES(4) for any heretics.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, that's why I hang out here!

Thanks...
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, that's why I hang out here!

Thanks...
Look at the bright side. You know more today than you did yesterday!
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Look at the bright side. You know more today than you did yesterday!
Assuming he didn't forget anything
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not necessarily intentional. It could be a common foul...it all depends on which side of the boundary line the contact occurred. He did say the thrower in's arms were coming forward....
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
Not necessarily intentional. It could be a common foul...it all depends on which side of the boundary line the contact occurred. He did say the thrower in's arms were coming forward....
While the ruling that you express in your comment is correct, I believe that the OP removed any doubt about the facts of the situation in his post.

Quote:

Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While the ruling that you express in your comment is correct, I believe that the OP removed any doubt about the facts of the situation in his post.
Okay. It all depends on the play. He didn't say he reached through or across the line. I was just throwing it out there.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Neva..I agree but thought I would throw this in. Would this change @ all with 5 seconds or less left in the game? Case Play 9.2.11 almost reads like you could call anything that interfered with the thrower, contact or not, a "T."

I would think that if I was the opposing coach I would rather it be called a "T" since the throw in would be @ the time line. Intentional foul would be the way to go here since it puts the ball back in play @ the spot of the foul & doesn't give the opposing team an court position advantage to steal. Just thought that there was a little ambiguity in the case play. Any thoughts?
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

From what I understand, that is an Intentional Foul.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
From what I understand, that is an Intentional Foul.
I didn't know...then I did, but I forgot
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Neva..I agree but thought I would throw this in. Would this change @ all with 5 seconds or less left in the game? Case Play 9.2.11 almost reads like you could call anything that interfered with the thrower, contact or not, a "T."

I would think that if I was the opposing coach I would rather it be called a "T" since the throw in would be @ the time line. Intentional foul would be the way to go here since it puts the ball back in play @ the spot of the foul & doesn't give the opposing team an court position advantage to steal. Just thought that there was a little ambiguity in the case play. Any thoughts?
The issue of the ensuing throw-in has been discussed before. I know that I posted about a discussion another local official and I had about how a team could push the opponent BACK to the division line by taking a T and that would hurt the offended team. We proposed that the offended team have the choice of retaining the original throw-in location or going to the division line for the throw-in following the FTs.

BTW I would call an intentional personal foul for this action no matter what time remains in the game. The only play in which I believe that the official has discretion to go with the T or ignore the offense is with a NONcontact breaking of the boundary plane with under five seconds remaining and the clock running. That's my understanding of the rules.