The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Did you ever just have one of those nights? Last game scheduled with my chapter, I have some rec. ball remaining but not high quality stuff.

Feel like I have been hit by a truck and probably running fever. I’m thinking a good sweat will help. Partner and I walk into the gym and give a blast on the whistle to let them know we are on the floor. Standing there during warmups and H31 goes skying, hands well above the rim and forceably pushes the ball through the net without touching the rim, net or backboard. While I’m contemplating if I want to consider that a dunk, H15 yells “You idiot” and gives his teammate a slap up side of the head and home coach yells “Fool, didn’t you hear the whistle?” OK guys, you just told everyone on the other team we had a dunk…guess we are starting with a T. That puts all the fans in a good mood.

First OOB call that is mine (about 2 minutes into the game) is clearly off green. I point in the direction of white and yell “Green”. Some player makes a smart remark about being color blind but it was obviously in jest. Three trips later, ball goes OOB off white and guess what…I signal in the direction of green and yell “White”. Player starts laughing and says “One of those nights, huh?” I just say, “Yep, kinda like missing that layup.”

Right after the start of the second quarter H15 clearly commits a travel violation when he starts his move to the hoop. I blow my whistle and put my hand up thinking I gonna sell this and gain some redemption. I give the travel signal and say “No shot, double dribble!”

After contemplating the option of faking a fainting spell and getting the heck out of Dodge, I decide not to say another word until half-time. Second half is uneventful. After the game, home coach came up to me and said “You did a good job for someone who is green, and I’m not talking about your experience level.”

Could not wait to get out of there. Just wish I had another decent game on the schedule to end on a positive note.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Kind of reminds me of the coach who would yell out "Is the basket good???" after the first nonshooting foul I called in a game. He always managed to make me question myself with that one!
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS

First OOB call that is mine (about 2 minutes into the game) is clearly off green. I point in the direction of white and yell “Green”. Some player makes a smart remark about being color blind but it was obviously in jest. Three trips later, ball goes OOB off white and guess what…I signal in the direction of green and yell “White”. Player starts laughing and says “One of those nights, huh?” I just say, “Yep, kinda like missing that layup.”

WHAT! You mean I’m not the only one who does this????
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Well my last game of the season was last night it was a blow out. I am not sure they showed up. 8 points in 1st half....

Coach did not like my partner's call in the paint.. A tall skinny kid (130 lbs dripping wet ) spins and bumps the larger (like 30-45 lbs) and the big kid flops and goes to the floor while the skinny kid scores to easy ones. The coach is yelling at me that we have not made a call (5-3 in his favor) that we were pathetic and we needed to do your job.. He yelled again ( 60 people or so in gym in this 1A game) near the end of his box that I needed to do my job. Hand up: That's enough coach!" He yelled back "Just do your job, your pathetic or something like that... Whack at the 4Q-3:38 mark....

Final score 50 something to 20 something.. Great way to end a year..

Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After the game, home coach came up to me and said “You did a good job for someone who is green, and I’m not talking about your experience level.”

Could not wait to get out of there. Just wish I had another decent game on the schedule to end on a positive note.
Could have been worse. You could have thrown up while reporting a foul to the table.

Sleep well.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
..mine isn't over yet...

...well I still have a bunch of junior high girls stuff to assign here as the local subchapter secretary, have to clean up some last minute college games, and I have a boys regional in Tyler at the end of the month. All that and THEN I get a month break or so before the summer AAU stuff starts up!
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 11:07am
Livin' The Dream

Quote:

Partner and I walk into the gym and give a blast on the whistle to let them know we are on the floor.
Do you always blow your whistle to announce your presence?
Have never done that.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tw1ns
Quote:

Partner and I walk into the gym and give a blast on the whistle to let them know we are on the floor.
Do you always blow your whistle to announce your presence?
Have never done that.
It's common practice in some areas -- dunking is allowed / encouraged until the refs get there. The refs announce their presence so there aren't any "surprises."

Some areas actually flick the lights.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

We had a Texas team come out here for a tournament this year. They said the officials do blow the whistle when coming on the court down there.
Of course this coversation took place after a pre-game dunk T was assessed.
We don't give a whistle here.