Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 12:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Snags............ there are some pretty intense, SRO, decibel breaking, girl's tournament games here in Chicagoland. It's routine during the season also for big games. Things being equal, the boys game will be on a larger scale but there are a good number of programs in Illinois where girl's basketball is just fine.

I was at a boys sectional the other night and the gym was not even half filled, conversely a few weeks ago a sectional girls game was sold out.

I do however understand your point.
I think what you just references is direct result of the new 4 class system and who is playing whom, then having much to do with girl's vs. boy's attendance. I attended the Galesburg Sectional last night and the place was packed. The teams playing were Washington vs. Peoria Central and both schools are less than 50 miles away from Galesburg. Tonight at that same sectional, Kankakee will play Geneseo. Geneseo is in the same conference with Galesburg, so they should bring a crowd and Kankakee is 3 hours away. I doubt seriously the crowd size tonight will match the size of the crowd of last night because of the travel times of one team. And if we talk about some Super-Sectional games that were held last night at the 1A and 2A levels, the attendance is down on the boy's side compared to years past with the 2 class system. I do not see that has an issue based on the gender, but an issue of where teams are playing and how far the fans might have to travel. They have to fix this travel issue if this 4 class system is going to work.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I think what you just references is direct result of the new 4 class system and who is playing whom, then having much to do with girl's vs. boy's attendance. I attended the Galesburg Sectional last night and the place was packed. The teams playing were Washington vs. Peoria Central and both schools are less than 50 miles away from Galesburg. Tonight at that same sectional, Kankakee will play Geneseo. Geneseo is in the same conference with Galesburg, so they should bring a crowd and Kankakee is 3 hours away. I doubt seriously the crowd size tonight will match the size of the crowd of last night because of the travel times of one team. And if we talk about some Super-Sectional games that were held last night at the 1A and 2A levels, the attendance is down on the boy's side compared to years past with the 2 class system. I do not see that has an issue based on the gender, but an issue of where teams are playing and how far the fans might have to travel. They have to fix this travel issue if this 4 class system is going to work.

Peace

You're correct, it was a 3A sectional.

Galesburg is a hotbed for basketball ........boys and girls. Great fans. I've heard that they have two radio stations broadcast girls games.

The travel thing is a killer, which is a shame. We have a super here that is in DeKalb, with teams I believe that will be over 90 miles away. Just too far to the casual fan. I don't know the answer. Fun to just go to a game and watch.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Galesburg is a hotbed for basketball ........boys and girls. Great fans. I've heard that they have two radio stations broadcast girls games.
That is true, but that was not a Galesburg crowd. It was clearly fans from both Peoria and Washington (which they are right next to each other BTW). Not to say there were not a good amount of people just watching from Galesburg, but the crowd size was clearly supporting one of the teams in colors they were wearing and chants.

Quote:
The travel thing is a killer, which is a shame. We have a super here that is in DeKalb, with teams I believe that will be over 90 miles away. Just too far to the casual fan. I don't know the answer. Fun to just go to a game and watch.
Ninety miles is not that big of an issue if you ask me. When you have teams going 4 hours plus one way to attend their Super-Sectional game that is really not a great thing for the teams. I hope they change the sites or stop having a blind draw for who plays at which Super. Or better yet go back to the 2 class system. I do not see many people happy with this system on many levels.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 01:20pm
Ch1town

Any of the Illinois guys know how my Wolverines are doing this year? Simeon that is.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 01:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Any of the Illinois guys know how my Wolverines are doing this year? Simeon that is.
At Chicago (Englewood)*
SECTIONAL SEMIFINAL
Chicago (Simeon) 70 F
Chicago (Hope) 37
Simeon - Stan Simpson (19 points) Simeon - Josh Anderson (14 points) Simeon - Kenyon Smith (10 points) Hope - T.J. Welch (9 points)

Looks to me like they are doing just fine.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 01:28pm
Ch1town

Thanks JRut, I heard they were having a decent regular season... looks as though they're still pushing.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 01:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Thanks JRut, I heard they were having a decent regular season... looks as though they're still pushing.
They have been ranked near the top of all the teams in the State of Illinois all season in their class and in the Chicago area (which considers multiple classes).

It looks like they are on their way to another possible championship. We will just have to see. I can tell you after losing Derrick Rose and Flowers I really thought they would not be as good. Clearly I was wrong.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
High school official for 27 years. Middle school girls coach for over 25 years. Parent of son who played recreation ball. Parent of a daughter who played high school varsity, helped her AAU team win an international gold medal in Spain, and is presently playing ball for her medical school in London, UK.

Maybe we're a little different here in Connecticut because of the small size of the state, with the state equally supporting both the University of Connecticut mens, and womens, basketball teams, but here's my two cents.

At the highest scholastic level, boys ball is played above the rim. Girls ball is played below the rim.

After 27 years, I believe that I can make this observation. With few exceptions, boys varsity games are viewed by a larger fan base, consisting of both student fans, and families of the players. Girls varsity games are, with few exceptions, viewed by mostly families of the players, with a smaller percentage of student fans. Most boys teams are supported by school cheerleaders. Most girls teams are not supported by cheerleaders.

I find both boys games, and girls games, equally challanging, with exception of above the rim action. After doing a girls game, or a couple of girls games, followed by a boys game, I have to remind myself, as the trail, to watch above the rim for basket interference, and goaltending.

I don't care if I get a girls varsity assignment, or a boys varsity assignment. On the other hand, I don't care if I get a small school varsity assignment, or a large school varsity assignment, boys, or girls. This past season, I didn't mind filling in for a junior varsity official who didn't show up, for a girls game. I just love officiating interscholastic basketball. Period.
Then I would want to work with you over someone who is only working to fill their schedule.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
At Chicago (Englewood)*
SECTIONAL SEMIFINAL
Chicago (Simeon) 70 F
Chicago (Hope) 37
Simeon - Stan Simpson (19 points) Simeon - Josh Anderson (14 points) Simeon - Kenyon Smith (10 points) Hope - T.J. Welch (9 points)

Looks to me like they are doing just fine.

Peace

great program........
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 01:54pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
Then I would want to work with you over someone who is only working to fill their schedule.
Is this a common thing? Taking girls games that you don't really want just "to fill your schedule"?

I have an assignor who tells me what games I have. I don't get to fill my schedule (at least, not with high school games).
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:09pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Where's rockyroad?

OK, he's right here. Was out of town and frankly hadn't read this thread until this morning...all I can say is - What a freaking stupid argument to be having...anyone who does not recognize that girl's games are different than boy's and women's games are different than men's is a moron. Anyone who says that one is easier to officiate than the other is also a moron. They are two entirely different beasts...men's/boy's are usually more demanding physically, while girl's/women's usually require a whole lot more judgement/thinking before deciding whetehr or not to call the foul...

As far as the whole idea of working your way up through the girl's ranks to be "good enough" to do boy's games - I guess people can get all righteous and offended by that if they want to. Or, they could look at it the way I do - if you are good enough to do a solid job reffing a high level girl's/women's game, then you have shown that you are good enough to ref any game.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Is this a common thing? Taking girls games that you don't really want just "to fill your schedule"?

I have an assignor who tells me what games I have. I don't get to fill my schedule (at least, not with high school games).
My schedule if full enough with the Boy's games I work and working mainly 3 times a week. If I am going to "fill my schedule" I would take a JV or freshmen boy's game if I really needed to work. I love the fact I have the option to work what I want to and when I want to and where I want to.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
What a freaking stupid argument to be having...anyone who does not recognize that girl's games are different than boy's and women's games are different than men's is a moron.
OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
if you are good enough to do a solid job reffing a high level girl's/women's game, then you have shown that you are good enough to ref any game.
Really?...
Richland, WA
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 04:40pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
OK...

Really?...
Absolutely. Even in the Tri-City area.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
/howard cosell on/
It's Rocky vs Rookie... a potentially savage affair that will leave but 1 man standing! A bout that wil keep you riveted to your seat and focused on your television! A bout to be remembered for all eternity, a bout who's story shall be passed from father to son down through the ages thrilling young and old alike...
/howard cosell off/
Closed Thread