The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
My objection to the OP isn't that he doesn't like working women's games. I know there are officials that don't like it, and while I certainly don't agree (I like women's games), they're entitled to their opinion.

My objection was to the belittling of women's sports: boys' games are somehow a "reward" for doing girls' games, and we need to "move up through" the girls -ugh!- to get to the good stuff, and only the good refs get boys' games. The fact of the matter is that there is good reffing, and it applies to girls games, and it applies to boys games. If his association really does set up their structure such that the sentences he said are just part of life in his area, then some coaches need to sue. It's just plain illegal.

And, Camron, the main reason I want to do boys' games is for variety. I would NOT want to do only boys. There are boys games that are faster, scores tend to go higher than girls, and that's fun. But there aren't many (if any) boys games that are better than Southridge/Central Catholic girls, unless a person just likes boys play better. For me, it's not a boy/girl thing, it's just variety. I like doing some of each.

ALso because if I don't do some boys' games every season, there are four tournaments for which I"m not eligible. I really would like to change that, but until it gets adjusted, I need to get some boys games every year, so that I can get to Pendleton someday.
Illegal? Puh-lease.

I am thrilled I was selected to work a girls sectional and I probably work 50% girls games each season. I do it because as a former assignor, I think it's the right thing to do (here the assignors assign both). I am ranked slightly higher by the girls coaches, actually, because I work hard from tip to buzzer no matter the level or the gender of the participants.

But would I, given a choice, work a boys sectional over a girls sectional if asked? In a heartbeat.

Some of us would simply rather work on the boys side and many associations have recognized (rightly or wrongly) that a boys game is harder to work or should get the highest rated officials. Is this actionable? I really doubt it.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
"You just don't get it" wasn't something to "offer the community". It was personal. Next time I'll send a PM, so you don't get confused. BTW, I have a much nicer voice than Hillary.
Thanks.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
"You just don't get it" wasn't something to "offer the community". It was personal. Next time I'll send a PM, so you don't get confused. BTW, I have a much nicer voice than Hillary.
God, I hope so. I can't stand listening to Shrillary.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
This was my 2nd season patched (IAABO State) originally I got 17 varsity games in the draw (mostly girls) but I ended up doing 29 varsity games due to my daily grind. It became well known to assignors & area directors midway through the season that if I wasn't working, then I would be at the high caliber game of the night watching & taking notes. And I always stayed for the varsity game if I did the JV game. Apparently those things help!

My 1st time in the post season & I was blessed with the opportunity to work 3 BOYS games (2A & 3A boys Districts, 4A boys 2nd round).

I didn't get "the sweet 16 email" yesterday so I'm done... unfortunately

It seems as though each time I feel that I accomplish something in this avocation, I find reasons to keep pushing to get better.

I guess working the girls games (not that there's anything wrong with that) without any complaints during the regular season earned me the boys in the post season. So that's a plus!
I guess working the U2 position during the regular season without any complaints earned me the U1 position in the post season. Another plus!

So now I need to work harder this summer to earn the boys games in the regular season, earn the right to be an R & go deeper into the playoffs next year.

Special thanks to the board for assisting me in getting better!! I learned so much about game management, rules knowledge & unusual situations. I wouldn't have progressed the way I have without Officiating.com

JRut & JR I know we've had our moments but thanks for keeping me in line. I learned so much from you two!
2nd year? I had to work 3 seasons to get my first playoff games in WI and I had 15 years experience before I got here!

I'm done on Thursday. Girls sectional (round of 16). We select the R here, but I'm more than happy to be Bono or the Edge (U2) for this game. One it's tapped, it doesn't matter who I am, really. I'm always an "R" on the court
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

I know I prefer working Boys HS b-ball over Girls HS b-ball anyday of the week. But if I were a college volleyball official I would rather work Women's games.

In my HS association there are "big dawgs" who do not work any girls games. Our latest top female official did drop out the board after last season partially b/c she wasn't getting any boys games. She's an NCAA-W official who had already work conference tournaments for 2 different D2's and this season will be working a D1 conference tournament.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
She's an NCAA-W official who had already work conference tournaments for 2 different D2's and this season will be working a D1 conference tournament.
And that in itself does not make you qualified to work a Boy's HS game in my opinion. NCAA Women's basketball is not even the same as a very good Boy's game where the game is above the rim. Maybe she should have been given a chance, but the way women's basketball wants the game called, that is not necessarily an acceptable experience. And I am speaking as someone that worked Women’s college ball at the D3 level at one time. There is a reason I got out of Women’s ball.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
And that in itself does not make you qualified to work a Boy's HS game in my opinion. NCAA Women's basketball is not even the same as a very good Boy's game where the game is above the rim. Maybe she should have been given a chance, but the way women's basketball wants the game called, that is not necessarily an acceptable experience. And I am speaking as someone that worked Women’s college ball at the D3 level at one time. There is a reason I got out of Women’s ball.

Peace
Jeff,

If she can successfully work D1 women's, she should at least be given a shot at the HS varsity level on the boys side. If she isn't getting games cause she's female (and it sounds like that could be the case here), it's as despicable as what happened to that female official in Kansas.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Jeff,

If she can successfully work D1 women's, she should at least be given a shot at the HS varsity level on the boys side. If she isn't getting games cause she's female (and it sounds like that could be the case here), it's as despicable as what happened to that female official in Kansas.
If she worked a D1 Men's game that does not automatically qualify you to work a HS varsity game. And I have seen some Boy’s HS varsity games that were much more physical than any college game on the Women’s side and I do not regularly see women jumping up above the rim.

The issue is not what levels you have worked, it is do you understand the customs of the level you are assigned. There are college officials on the Men's side that do not understand how to work a high school game and do not work that level at all.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What do you want to know?

Peace
I don't understand what you wrote. No opinion, just trying to follow the thread. I think you are saying that college ball would dictate Men's or Women's?

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Mar 03, 2008 at 11:27pm.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Way to set the bar high, there, Juulie.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I don't understand what you wrote. No opinion, just trying to follow the thread. I think you are saying that college ball would dictate Men's or Women's?
If it was required for me to work both genders, I would stick to working college ball and leave HS ball alone. There is a reason I do not work any girl's basketball and I turn those games back when assignors try to give them to me. I am so glad I live in an area where that is not a choice.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:35am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

OK - I'll settle this. From now on, everybody work only transsexual's games.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
So now I need to work harder this summer to earn the boys games in the regular season,
Sigh. I guess I'm glad that there are two separate organizations doing girls and boys organizations here so that this attitude doesn't happen here. I have the choice to do both if I wish. I don't because I don't wish to spend the extra time an extra association would mean.

And, yeah, you guys don't get it. It has to be blatant discrimination before you see it. You don't see the subtle stuff.

Rita
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 01:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
OK - I'll settle this. From now on, everybody work only transsexual's games.
I can only think of one team name for this category. Both words rhyme with "sticks."

Anyhow, I'm not picky. And I don't buy Jeff's argument when it comes to the HS level. I've called plenty of goaltending and basket interference in my day and until I got to the boys varsity level, rarely had to make those calls. What's the difference between me and that female official? Either she will nail those calls or she won't. Either she'll work like the other officials or she'll wash out like anyone ELSE given the opportunity.

Anyone who moves to the college level and can't get a decent HS schedule, well, there's something wrong with the assignors then.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

The more the merrier.

Quote:
If it was required for me to work both genders, I would stick to working college ball and leave HS ball alone. There is a reason I do not work any girl's basketball and I turn those games back when assignors try to give them to me. I am so glad I live in an area where that is not a choice.

Peace
I prefer officials who don't like to work girls games to admit it rather than do the games anyway with a chip on their shoulder. The more of these that stay away from doing girls/womens basketball the better off everybody is. To me, a boys game is far easier to officiate than a girls game. It takes one heck of an official to do a consistently good job on girls games. I do both every year and almost without exception the boys games are easier. The only thing that might be tougher is there seems to be more scrutiny placed on boys games.