The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Wreck ball...

I think I'm going to open my availability to Wreck ball... I need to keep officiating. I've done about 65 games in the last 3 months, but I feel I need more... I'm hoping this will get me ready for next season by continuing with wreck and summer league ball.

Any advice...

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
I think I'm going to open my availability to Wreck ball... I need to keep officiating. I've done about 65 games in the last 3 months, but I feel I need more... I'm hoping this will get me ready for next season by continuing with wreck and summer league ball.

Any advice...
I used to work a lot of Rec (short for recreation) leagues (don't do as much of that now) so I think I can offer some advice. I'd say it's not a bad idea to keep the rust off, but don't get burned out. In my experience, in Rec leagues the quality of play goes down and the amount of complaining goes up. I would be careful that you don't burn yourself out. Also, be careful not to build any bad habits. working game after game when you know no one is going to notice placement or mechanics might be an easy way to build bad habits.

Just my $.02. Good luck!!
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:07am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
One of the hardest parts I find about switching between "the senior circuit" and "wreck ball" is the level of my partners. The level of actual play is easier for me to adjust to.

The "wreck" officials are often unschooled and have the same understanding of the rules as the coaches, players, fans, etc. Maybe young kids who don't care so much, looking for some extra cash, distracted, etc. Therefore I find it especially harder to watch my primary and let them do their jobs - they ball watch most of the time.

Helping with the rules, teaching, mentoring, helping the younger officials (those that want to learn) - I certainly enjoy that part of wreck ball and the fact that some coaches and players actually appreciate having a "real official" who actually looks the part, knows most of the rules (I still have a ways to go though) and puts out the effort.

Concentrate on things you want to work on and don't burnout. Good for you for giving back!

(edited for spelling - duh)

Last edited by grunewar; Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 10:11am.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:31am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I think I'm going to open my availability to Wreck ball...

Any advice...
Sure. Change your mind.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

If you decide to do it, call the T early and often.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Any advice...
I'm not sure how systems are built in your area but here we have some pretty good quality CYO teams/leagues. Also we are pretty forutnate with some AAU teams around the area. I would try to find some games like that. They are more structured and the the level of play is better. You'll also find, or at least we do here, most of the other officials in these leagues are HS level officials making it easier to keep proper mechanics.

When you get into the Men's Rec leagues you have quality play for about 4 minutes before everyone starts gassing out then it's all downhill from there. JMO
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Any advice...
There is more than enough summer ball around, I would not do that.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Any advice...
Why not? You're new and the more games you do the better. I enjoy a good rec league with skilled players and rarely have had any problems. I probably do 50 games a year and have only a handful of T's. I look for mutual respect from players and it has served me well over the years. It's a warmup for me also with the speed of skilled players, many ex college guys and good high school players for my high school games and situations above the rim. The older guys(over 35 )can present more problems with their diminishing skill levels who still think they have 'game', it's also a good place to work on your 'people skills'.

If I have a 3 or 4 game set I'll work on my mechanics for a game or pick a half to try focus on coverage or reffing the defense or whatever.

IMHO, I think doing rec ball will help you confidence wise. Being in your first year, I don't think your mechanics will go to heck.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

The fact that you refer to it as "wreck" ball (although probably true), tells me that you're not particularly fond of this league or level of play, so why subject yourself to it? I used to work some men's leagues when I first started, but I don't like the BS and whining you hear from the guys, so I stopped.

If it's really that bad, then officiating this kind of ball is going to frustrate you and you won't get anything out of it. Kind of like when a team is up by 30 points and still keeping on a full court press "just for the practice of pressing".

If the league has a decent skill level and (more importantly) will keep you focused, I say go for it. Otherwise pass as you'll wind up watching the clock (waiting for all zeros at the end of your final game) and you'll get lazy with your call selection and mechanics. If you want to do it just to keep in shape...go for a walk or join a gym.

AAU tournaments can provide some good games and the chance to see teams from outside of your local area, but it's been my experience to stay away from in-town rec/wreck stuff.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I am on a local rec league board and officiate in the league every year...I like the league and the board but the level of play does leave something to be desired...but at $25/game on Saturday mornings...it pays for the wife and I to go out to nice dinners and has paid for a spring break or two over the past 6 years! Keeps me in shape and I enjoy it....

As noted, if you have a facility that runs "travel" or AAU leagues/tourneys, get in there and work those. Do you have anything like this place in your area? This is where I spend a lot of time calling games and there are plenty of good teams that compete here at their JRHS level...

http://www.thefieldhouse.com
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
There is more than enough summer ball around, I would not do that.

Peace

Got any connections... who do I contact... I want to stay busy. Right now I just plugged into the arbiter.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Got any connections... who do I contact... I want to stay busy. Right now I just plugged into the arbiter.
It is a little early for summer basketball assigning. I can forward that information to you when they start assigning. That probably will not really start happening until April and more than likely May. Send me a PM and we can exchange emails.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Any advice...
You can use rec ball to work on your people skills, although even I, as the eternal optimist, will tell you it can be very difficult and test your patience to its limits. Rec games are the hardest to deal with players. They are far more irrational, know the rules the least, and at times have the lowest skill level of any you'll work. IF you can find a way to communicate with them, keep the emotions of the game under control, and prevent cheap shots and fights, you may find a tool or two you can use. They're not for working on mechanics, but you can use it to calibrate your judgment, and how to communicate when a poor player with a bad attitude questions you. Perfect trial and error laboratory.

I actually enjoy rec ball. Gets me a free membership to the athletic club I work out at, and I have made tons of contacts with people through it.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:23pm
Esteemed Participant

BearFan - there is a BIG difference between Adult Rec leagues and Kid's Rec leagues. I wouldn't touch the Adult leagues with a 50 foot pole if I were you. I hinestly do not see any benefits from doing that level of ball (other than earning some cash). The kids rec leagues are a different story, imo. You can actually get some benefit from those games - working on mechanics, etc. - because your partners quite often are others just like you, not just the guys looking for the extra cash...
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
BearFan - there is a BIG difference between Adult Rec leagues and Kid's Rec leagues. I wouldn't touch the Adult leagues with a 50 foot pole if I were you. I hinestly do not see any benefits from doing that level of ball (other than earning some cash). The kids rec leagues are a different story, imo. You can actually get some benefit from those games - working on mechanics, etc. - because your partners quite often are others just like you, not just the guys looking for the extra cash...
What is called "wreak ball" around here is usually has nothing to do with kids. Kid’s basketball is usually associated with a school or a travel/AAU type team. And in either case, a lot of what benefit you will get out of the league is going to depend on the league and the kind of games. And I have not seen any "wreak" ball that has a normal clock and normal rules procedures that would require or expect good mechanics. In most games with youth basketball is not much different than the adult variety just they are with kids.

I think this is not the case in many areas. Most schools have a basketball program of some kind and that is where most kids are going to play. The days of the YMCA having an in-house team do not seem to be very common anymore.

Peace