Thread: Wreck ball...
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
I think I'm going to open my availability to Wreck ball... I need to keep officiating. I've done about 65 games in the last 3 months, but I feel I need more... I'm hoping this will get me ready for next season by continuing with wreck and summer league ball.

Any advice...
You can use rec ball to work on your people skills, although even I, as the eternal optimist, will tell you it can be very difficult and test your patience to its limits. Rec games are the hardest to deal with players. They are far more irrational, know the rules the least, and at times have the lowest skill level of any you'll work. IF you can find a way to communicate with them, keep the emotions of the game under control, and prevent cheap shots and fights, you may find a tool or two you can use. They're not for working on mechanics, but you can use it to calibrate your judgment, and how to communicate when a poor player with a bad attitude questions you. Perfect trial and error laboratory.

I actually enjoy rec ball. Gets me a free membership to the athletic club I work out at, and I have made tons of contacts with people through it.