The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 03:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
An officials resume includes levels worked, playoff games at those levels, camps attended, etc. It's just like any other resume, it lists your experience in the field.
I have an officiating resume, and no where on the resume is what camp I attended. If I did have camps attended, there would be little place for real accomplishments. And I have never been asked by a supervisor of any conference ask what camp I attended, whether that is high school or college. They do not care what you attended, they care who you work for.

Quote:
You'd think someone who posts all those things every chance he gets would know such things.
I do not see myself or many people from any part of the Midwest to be seriously eligible for the Big West Conferences.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have an officiating resume, and no where on the resume is what camp I attended. If I did have camps attended, there would be little place for real accomplishments. And I have never been asked by a supervisor of any conference ask what camp I attended, whether that is high school or college. They do not care what you attended, they care who you work for.

I do not see myself or many people from any part of the Midwest to be seriously eligible for the Big West Conferences.

Peace
The prosecution rests.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 04:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

The funny part is you actually think you won something.

You brought up the Big Sky. If you want to use a conference camp as a point, then you cannot get upset when others use the same point with other camps.

And honestly, I do not care what camps have their officials work when attending. Most officials that would attend a Division 1 camp or should attend one of those camps are not going the people this discussion is made for.

There are many people that do not think it is worth anyone's time. If you feel opposite that is fine with me, but that is your opinion and only your opinion. Just like I would never suggest an official to work those levels is my opinion as well and only my opinion. At the end of the day a person has to decide for themselves. And most officials around here do not endorse those games other than to make some money. And the person posting is not from your area.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The funny part is you actually think you won something.

You brought up the Big Sky. If you want to use a conference camp as a point, then you cannot get upset when others use the same point with other camps.

And honestly, I do not care what camps have their officials work when attending. Most officials that would attend a Division 1 camp or should attend one of those camps are not going the people this discussion is made for.

There are many people that do not think it is worth anyone's time. If you feel opposite that is fine with me, but that is your opinion and only your opinion. Just like I would never suggest an official to work those levels is my opinion as well and only my opinion. At the end of the day a person has to decide for themselves. And most officials around here do not endorse those games other than to make some money. And the person posting is not from your area.

Peace
The funny part is you are too dense to even get the point.

So I'll spell it out all remedial style for you.

Any discussion becomes this:

1. In Illinois...with the usual condescending tone, as if Illinois is the only place doing things right.

2. I work this, I work that, I went to this, I went to that...as if it adds weight to your opinion.

Here is the truth, neither adds to the discussion, all it does is make you look like an arrogant prick.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 05:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
1. In Illinois...with the usual condescending tone, as if Illinois is the only place doing things right.

2. I work this, I work that, I went to this, I went to that...as if it adds weight to your opinion.

Here is the truth, neither adds to the discussion, all it does is make you look like an arrogant prick.
Bear asked for opinions and he lives in my backyard. I have very specific knowledge of who he can work for and who assigns what.

Can you give him that information? Do you know the associations and who are influential in those associations? Can you tell him what leagues are available and that he can work from Lake County, DuPage County, Cook and Kane Counties? Do you know what colleges and high schools can run leagues in this area? Do you know the people that assign high school leagues around here? Do you know the people that run camps around here? Can you run a camp for the IHSA for certification (required to keep a license and work post season)?

You know the answer to all of these things. And I can give that information and have given that information too many people that post from my area. And that information is not exclusive to me, because every day during the summer I get emails asking to share information with fellow officials about leagues and camps at all levels so that young officials to the biggest veterans can work those games.

And if that makes me an arrogant prick to share that information, I guess the many officials that shared the same information with me when I moved to this area in 1999, are also arrogant pricks. And that would include Bob J who also gave me similar information when he realized I moved here and that information allowed me to attend camps and meet assignors so I could work games during the regular season.

I guess we all have to be upset about something.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I am sure there are more people trying to get into the Big 12, then the Big Sky. Just a guess on my part.

Peace
Correct. If you are good out West, you get an invite to WCC/Pac-10 or the WAC/Mountain West and courted. That's why Big Sky has to go get people from Minnesota. Many refuse to work the conference.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
Correct. If you are good out West, you get an invite to WCC/Pac-10 or the WAC/Mountain West and courted. That's why Big Sky has to go get people from Minnesota. Many refuse to work the conference.
I did not make my comments to dig on the Big Sky conference. My point is simply a response to the comments that what the Big Sky does is so much more special than other conference supervisors. I am know if you look at all the Division 1 supervisors they all have a different way of doing things and picking and training their officials. One of the supervisors I mentioned ran his camps by only charging $50, which is very unique. I have no idea which is better or uses the best system, but it is clear that what the Big Sky is not what other supervisors agree to based on holding camps around Men’s or wreak leagues.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 06:50pm
We don't rent pigs

Another thread makes reference to officials working for more than one conference, or did it say major conference? Does this mean Big Sky is not a major conference and has its own officials that work there exclusively? Or are these guys suspended from Big Sky conference games, but could go work elsewhere, (men's rec league ) or what?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 26, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Another thread makes reference to officials working for more than one conference, or did it say major conference? Does this mean Big Sky is not a major conference and has its own officials that work there exclusively? Or are these guys suspended from Big Sky conference games, but could go work elsewhere, (men's rec league ) or what?
Big Sky is a mid-major. So ... yeah. I'd expect to see those guys doing a set of county rec games one night soon that they hadn't really planned on.