Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I have heard from very highly placed sources on both the NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA rules committee that they're all working tirelessly on standardizing the rules for this play. He wouldn't send me the actual text of the new rule, but he did say that the penalty would be 15 yards (meters in FIBA), divided by the number of consecutive time outs, penalized from the blue line. The jumpers all receive yellow cards.

I think this is a great move forward for the game. It certainly beats the heck out of the current rule (which, as you well know, involves the head cheerleaders from each team arm wrestling), or the older rule which involved the two team's home countries going to war.
No no no
The fiba rule is
THe nr of meters left to the 3 point line divided with the number of three pointers made in the first qtr and that a freekick would then be awarded from the POI. If the violation occurs within the 3-second area then a penalty kick would be given (this also means that if no goalkeeper is present a field-player may goalkeep during the kick).

Could somebody give a rule refrence to why the dribble ends when the ball gets trapped between hand and floor.
"24.1.1 A dribble starts when a player, having gained control of a live ball on the playing court, throws, taps, rolls or dribbles it on the floor and touches it again before it touches another player.
A dribble ends when the player touches the ball with both hands simultaneously or permits the ball to come to rest in one or both hands.
During a dribble the ball may be thrown into the air provided the ball touches the floor or another player before the player who threw it touches it again with his hand.
There is no limit to the number of steps a player may take when the ball is not in contact with his hand."

The question is, is trapping the ball between floor and hand considered to have it resting in your hand?
I can't find anything in the FIBA interpetations regarding this