Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 07:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Here They Are ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
You might have your group read the Basketball Rule Fundamentals in the back of the Rules book.
Basketball Rules Fundamentals

While the ball remains live a loose ball always remains in control of the team whose player last had control, unless it is a try or tap for goal.
Neither a team nor any player is ever in control during a dead ball, jump ball, throw in. or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for a goal.
A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through unless canceled by a throw-in violation or a player control foul.
The jump ball, the throw-in and the free throw are the only methods of getting a dead ball live.
Neither the dribble nor traveling rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in or free throw.
It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.
The only infractions for which points are awarded are goaltending by the defense or basket interference at the opponent’s basket.
There are three types of violations and each has its own penalty.
A ball in flight has the same relationship to frontcourt or backcourt, or inbounds or out of bounds as when it last touched a person or the floor.
Personal fouls always involve illegal contact and occur during a live ball, except a common foul by or on an airborne shooter.
The penalty for a single flagrant personal or flagrant technical foul is two free throws and disqualification plus awarding the ball to the opponents for a throw-in.
Penalties for fouls are administered in the order in which they occur.
A live-ball foul by the offense (team in the control or last in control if the ball is loose) or the expiration of time for a quarter or extra period, causes the ball to become dead immediately unless the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal. The ball also becomes dead when a player control foul occurs.
The first or only free-throw violation by the offense causes the ball to become dead immediately.
A double personal foul involves only personal fouls and only two opponents; no free throws awaded and the ball is put in play at the point of interruption. A double technical foul involves only technical fouls and only two opponents; no free throws are awarded and theball is put in play at the point of interruption.
The official’s whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead).
"Continuous motion" applies both to tries and taps for field goals and free throws, but it has no significance unless there is a foul by the defense during interval begins when the habitual trying or tapping motion starts and ends when the ball is clearly in flight.
Whether the clock is running or is stopped has no influence on the counting of a goal.
A ball which touches the front face or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds except that when the ball touches the thrower’s backboard, it does not constitute a part of a dribble.
If the ball goes through the basket before or after a player control foul, the goal shall not be counted.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe the dribble does end just because it's trapped between the floor and the hand. If the player lifted his hand, then smacked the ball on top to get it bouncing again, I believe he would be within the rule to continue dribbling.

Anybody disagree with that?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I don't believe the dribble does end just because it's trapped between the floor and the hand. If the player lifted his hand, then smacked the ball on top to get it bouncing again, I believe he would be within the rule to continue dribbling.

That is fascinating; I believe it would be within the rules. I hope I never see it!
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I have seen it, have had teammates doing it not getting called for a travel, that's why I asked if anybody could give me a better refrence then the one I had. Becuse I don't think this is a travel since he the player never stopped dribbling when he trapped the ball between the hand and the floor...
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle

How can you "bat the ball to the floor" when it's already on the floor?
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
How can you "bat the ball to the floor" when it's already on the floor?

I caught his drift, you've seen it happen before I'm sure. Semantics.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I caught his drift, you've seen it happen before I'm sure. Semantics.
I know what he was describing. I was attempting to use words from the rule to show that, imo, trapping the ball on the floor is not part of a dribble.