The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I officiated city leagues and HS for about 11 years in the 70s and 80s. Out of the game for a while, now getting back in by coaching my step-daughter's 10-12 girl's team. Some of the better players in our league have a tendency to carry the ball and it is never called. I don't have a current rule book, so does anyone have an idea how I can explain to our volunteer refs exactly what constitutes carrying the ball? Is it still called under the traveling violation? My daughter does it occasionally and I'm trying to convince the refs that they're not teaching these girls anything by letting them get away with it.

Thanks!
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

This is considered palming. It is illegal and is signaled like over and back. Referees have to judge when the ball comes to rest in the players hand. If that happens and the dribble continues, palming.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to N_Stripes
Post Carrying

I think more and more we are seeing players that have a tendency to put their hand on the side of the ball and sort of roll the ball back over as part of their "natural?" dribble. I feel like this is okay as the ball doesn't necessarily "come to rest" in the palm.
What I do call is when the ball comes to rest in the palm with the hand "under" the ball as described by rule. I will also call when the ball comes to rest against the hand with the hand on the "side" of the ball as force is applied when the dribbler changes direction of the ball. This is an illegal tactic that gains an advantage over the defense.
I hope this helps.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
One of the important things to me is the ball actually coming to a rest, no matter how momentary. I think alot of refs (and I'm probably in this group no matter how much I try not to be), don't call it unless its comes to an obvious rest in the players hand. Even if the hand is to not directly under the ball but, the ball remains in the players hand for an period unnaturally associated with a dribble, I try to call it.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by OG719
I officiated city leagues and HS for about 11 years in the 70s and 80s. Out of the game for a while, now getting back in by coaching my step-daughter's 10-12 girl's team. Some of the better players in our league have a tendency to carry the ball and it is never called. I don't have a current rule book, so does anyone have an idea how I can explain to our volunteer refs exactly what constitutes carrying the ball? Is it still called under the traveling violation? My daughter does it occasionally and I'm trying to convince the refs that they're not teaching these girls anything by letting them get away with it.

Thanks!
I suggest you confer, away from a game, with the person who's in charge of the referees. If that person feels as though he or she doesn't want to change anything, you should suggest he or she attend some high school games, to see what is accepted in your area, and you go, too. Or talk to the person who's in charge of hs refs in your area. If the standard in your area is more relaxed than the standard you were under 18 years ago (as I suspect it may be), you might as well benefit from that, and spend your practice time working on legal screens.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Quote:
...to our volunteer refs ....

You get what you pay for. These guys may have no formal traning and may not be anything other than what they are "Recreation volunteer referees". You used to be an official, goto a camp this summer get current with things and offer to be in charge of referees next season and train them etc. Of course you probably shouldnt coach though because that wouldnt exactly look right but hey its been done before. You gave us a problem, that just one possible solution.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
To answer your question the rule is 4-15-4.b: The dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands.

This is a misconception to most fans and some coaches (and some officials). Unless the hand actually is under the ball unless the player catches the ball.

My two sense!
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

traveling

Is traveling also be called if the ball is is bounced up by the chest or over their head. Just curious? would like advice.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Re: traveling

Quote:
Originally posted by wilkey1979
Is traveling also be called if the ball is is bounced up by the chest or over their head. Just curious? would like advice.
Another common misconception is that the "high dribble" is somehow a carry or traveling. I have seen dribbles go quite a ways over the dribblers head, but the dribbler kept his hand on top of the ball and it was all LEGAL. Of course, that doesn't stop folks from hollering about it.