The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Traveling...

Player has the ball.. is dribbling... falls down and traps ball on the floor with right hand. He fell on his knees and his left hand and has the ball trapped with his right.

He picks up the ball and tosses it to a team mate without leaving his knees.

He didn't roll, or scoot or anything.. just fell right down in the middle of a dribble.

I didn't call travel.. should I have??

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

No.

He ended the dribble when he trapped the ball. He passed the ball without traveling. Legal play.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Player has the ball.. is dribbling... falls down and traps ball on the floor with right hand. He fell on his knees and his left hand and has the ball trapped with his right.

He didn't roll, or scoot or anything.. just fell right down in the middle of a dribble.

I think case play 4.44.5 Situation C a is your play. Legal action.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Me and my guys in my kids rec league were debating this just this past Saturday...

One guy was on his high horse about any part of the body other than a hand or foot hitting the floor was a travel. I advised him that if the dribble was maintained during the "hitting of the floor with other body parts" it was legal....He tried to tell me it was travel...I told him to look it up in the rule AND case book....we agreed that holding the ball and going to the floor was a travel but not while maintaining the dribble. He later came over to my court between games and said I was correct.

Sounds as if your play is legal as well (of course somebody posted case play)...
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
No.

He ended the dribble when he trapped the ball. He passed the ball without traveling. Legal play.

That is what I thought. Thanks.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 07:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Drug Made The Horse High ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
One guy was on his high horse about any part of the body other than a hand or foot hitting the floor was a travel. I advised him that if the dribble was maintained during the "hitting of the floor with other body parts" it was legal....He tried to tell me it was travel...I told him to look it up in the rule AND case book....we agreed that holding the ball and going to the floor was a travel but not while maintaining the dribble..
Good post. New officials, please take note.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Me and my guys in my kids rec league were debating this just this past Saturday...

One guy was on his high horse about any part of the body other than a hand or foot hitting the floor was a travel. I advised him that if the dribble was maintained during the "hitting of the floor with other body parts" it was legal....He tried to tell me it was travel...I told him to look it up in the rule AND case book....we agreed that holding the ball and going to the floor was a travel but not while maintaining the dribble. He later came over to my court between games and said I was correct.

Sounds as if your play is legal as well (of course somebody posted case play)...
You might have your group read the Basketball Rule Fundamentals in the back of the Rules book.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Good post. New officials, please take note.
you can't travel while dribbling

i've been surprised by a couple of kids this year who have initiated a dribble out of a scrum. they're rolling, lifting, touching, passing. whatever. if you can keep or initiate the dribble, more power to you.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20

The most difficult call in this game is traveling. We get this wrong more than any other call we have to make. For all the talk on here about not regretting T's, a great rule of thumb is that if there is any doubt about a travel, don't call it. One of the bigger mistakes we make is calling the non-existant travel. The more you can avoid that, you'll be a much better official.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 11:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
We get this wrong more than any other call we have to make.
Maybe you do. I doubt you speak for the rest of us. For instance, the call I have the most trouble with is, .....is.....er....... huh - I don't have trouble with any calls. OK, maybe the false multiple team control double technical foul during a live ball by players jumping from back court to front court while taunting following a third successive timeout by a visiting team who's in the double bonus in the second half. Go figure.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Maybe you do. I doubt you speak for the rest of us. For instance, the call I have the most trouble with is, .....is.....er....... huh - I don't have trouble with any calls. OK, maybe the false multiple team control double technical foul during a live ball by players jumping from back court to front court while taunting following a third successive timeout by a visiting team who's in the double bonus in the second half. Go figure.
I have heard from very highly placed sources on both the NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA rules committee that they're all working tirelessly on standardizing the rules for this play. He wouldn't send me the actual text of the new rule, but he did say that the penalty would be 15 yards (meters in FIBA), divided by the number of consecutive time outs, penalized from the blue line. The jumpers all receive yellow cards.

I think this is a great move forward for the game. It certainly beats the heck out of the current rule (which, as you well know, involves the head cheerleaders from each team arm wrestling), or the older rule which involved the two team's home countries going to war.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
He wouldn't send me the actual text of the new rule, but he did say that the penalty would be 15 yards (meters in FIBA), divided by the number of consecutive time outs, penalized from the blue line. The jumpers all receive yellow cards.

WHAT!!!! The runners wouldn't have to return to their bases!!! And no provision based on which chukker this is?

That's not much of a penalty.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I have heard from very highly placed sources on both the NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA rules committee that they're all working tirelessly on standardizing the rules for this play. He wouldn't send me the actual text of the new rule, but he did say that the penalty would be 15 yards (meters in FIBA), divided by the number of consecutive time outs, penalized from the blue line. The jumpers all receive yellow cards.

I think this is a great move forward for the game. It certainly beats the heck out of the current rule (which, as you well know, involves the head cheerleaders from each team arm wrestling), or the older rule which involved the two team's home countries going to war.
No no no
The fiba rule is
THe nr of meters left to the 3 point line divided with the number of three pointers made in the first qtr and that a freekick would then be awarded from the POI. If the violation occurs within the 3-second area then a penalty kick would be given (this also means that if no goalkeeper is present a field-player may goalkeep during the kick).

Could somebody give a rule refrence to why the dribble ends when the ball gets trapped between hand and floor.
"24.1.1 A dribble starts when a player, having gained control of a live ball on the playing court, throws, taps, rolls or dribbles it on the floor and touches it again before it touches another player.
A dribble ends when the player touches the ball with both hands simultaneously or permits the ball to come to rest in one or both hands.
During a dribble the ball may be thrown into the air provided the ball touches the floor or another player before the player who threw it touches it again with his hand.
There is no limit to the number of steps a player may take when the ball is not in contact with his hand."

The question is, is trapping the ball between floor and hand considered to have it resting in your hand?
I can't find anything in the FIBA interpetations regarding this
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
Could somebody give a rule refrence to why the dribble ends when the ball gets trapped between hand and floor.

"A dribble ends when the player touches the ball with both hands simultaneously or permits the ball to come to rest in one or both hands."

The question is, is trapping the ball between floor and hand considered to have it resting in your hand?
I would say that the ball has come to rest in the hand that is trapping it. "Rest" would mean that it has stopped moving.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
No no no
The fiba rule is
THe nr of meters left to the 3 point line divided with the number of three pointers made in the first qtr and that a freekick would then be awarded from the POI. If the violation occurs within the 3-second area then a penalty kick would be given (this also means that if no goalkeeper is present a field-player may goalkeep during the kick).

"24.1.1 A dribble starts when a player, having gained control of a live ball on the playing court, throws, taps, rolls or dribbles it on the floor and touches it again before it touches another player.
A dribble ends when the player touches the ball with both hands simultaneously or permits the ball to come to rest in one or both hands.
During a dribble the ball may be thrown into the air provided the ball touches the floor or another player before the player who threw it touches it again with his hand.
There is no limit to the number of steps a player may take when the ball is not in contact with his hand."

I can't find anything in the FIBA interpetations regarding this

Guys.. I got this one..

Rule 27 art 4 revision 7 juntion 2 note 4 version 3.4 line 10.