The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Please help me with the following example. Something I see all the time with partners and observing high school games in my area in general. Am I missing something?

The receiving player is behind the 3 point arc. His body is open to the passer prior to catching the pass. After receiving the pass he pivots on the foot farthest from the previous passer (in other words, if he’s on the right side of the arch he pivots on the right foot and if he’s on the left side of the arch he pivots on the left foot. He then plants the other foot. He next takes a baby step with the foot he used for the original pivot, in order to square to the basket. He has essentially switched from one pivot foot to another. I would contend this is a travel, yet I rarely see it called, despite the fact that it occurs multiple times in most of the games I watch or officiate.

When I’ve asked other officials about it they usually acknowledge my interpretation is correct, but point out that nobody makes that call so it’s best left alone. I would argue that this does create an competitive advantage for the shooter, as it allows him to get squared to the basket before releasing, which in theory will result in a higher success rate in making the shot.

On the other hand, I occasionally see the same scenario with the only difference being that the catch is made on or just in front of the arc. The player then pivots backward, switches his pivot foot and takes a small step backward with the original pivot foot. In this situation the travel call is rarely if ever missed.

Dennis

Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely
Please help me with the following example. Something I see all the time with partners and observing high school games in my area in general. Am I missing something?

The receiving player is behind the 3 point arc. His body is open to the passer prior to catching the pass. After receiving the pass he pivots on the foot farthest from the previous passer (in other words, if he’s on the right side of the arch he pivots on the right foot and if he’s on the left side of the arch he pivots on the left foot. He then plants the other foot. He next takes a baby step with the foot he used for the original pivot, in order to square to the basket. He has essentially switched from one pivot foot to another. I would contend this is a travel, yet I rarely see it called, despite the fact that it occurs multiple times in most of the games I watch or officiate.

When I’ve asked other officials about it they usually acknowledge my interpretation is correct, but point out that nobody makes that call so it’s best left alone. I would argue that this does create an competitive advantage for the shooter, as it allows him to get squared to the basket before releasing, which in theory will result in a higher success rate in making the shot.

On the other hand, I occasionally see the same scenario with the only difference being that the catch is made on or just in front of the arc. The player then pivots backward, switches his pivot foot and takes a small step backward with the original pivot foot. In this situation the travel call is rarely if ever missed.

Dennis

There's someplace in the rules where it says that the receiver can land on both feet simultaneously, and then either foot can be the pivot. Most refs interpret that word "simultaneously" pretty loosely. I know the play you mean, and I understand your concern. I think the general attitude (especially in boys' ball) is to "interpret" this play as legal. Sometimes refs will say that the receiver didn't "have control of the ball until that second foot came down. So either foot could be the pivot." Around here, that's sort of the justification if one is needed.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a travel to me. In the situation here, it didn't say that he caught the pass in the air. Still, if he did, he can establish either foot as the pivot foot, but not switch them. I usually interpret 2 steps prior to the first dribble hitting the floor as a travel. It's a matter of interpretation when it happens so fast, but that is my interpretation.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

This little "shuffle step" is definitely a travel and I will call it if I'm the only ref in Massachusetts that does. This is a pet peeve of mine, sorry. The way I explain it to kids: Let's say you have a pivot foot while holding the ball (or even no pivot foot yet)with two feet on the floor. If you then jump up high in the air and land on both feet, this would be a travel, right? Well, if you take a very mini tiny little jump (foot shuffle)and land on both feet, then THAT"S a travel, too. Of course, I mean if player doesn't release the ball.

It's true, in my experience, that boys more regularly commit this infraction. Unfortuantely, many have been doing it for years in rec and travel leagues as youngsters.
Of course, it is never pointed out to them that it is a travel. When they get to high school and have a ref who calls this (I saw it called five or six times in a Varsity Boys games last week), the boys and sometimes the coach think the ref has two heads. This is NOT the same thing as judging if a players feet came down "simultaneously" as in cathing a pass while airborne (although that's not too hard to determine).

Please don't tell me that someone's assignor has instructed them to ignore this violation.
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

I gotta travel.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
This is NOT the same thing as judging if a players feet came down "simultaneously" as in cathing a pass while airborne (although that's not too hard to determine).
I agree with you. Completely. In fact, I've pretty much quit calling boys' games, because I don't like letting this go. But most folks around here do. The "landing simultaneously" thing is generally the justification I hear.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

True, Juulie, it does get let go a lot. Funny, I see it a lot in girls' games, as well as boys games.

I went to a camp once where a college coach was a guest speaker and indicated that this was a pet peeve of his, and wished more officials would call it - in addition to the shuffle step a lot of players do between receiving a pass and starting a dribble around a defender.

I must admit I'm guilty of letting this go a lot - I have called it if it was REALLY pronounced, but by and large, I find most players and coaches don't obsess about it.

Tough one.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
This is NOT the same thing as judging if a players feet came down "simultaneously" as in cathing a pass while airborne (although that's not too hard to determine).
I agree with you. Completely. In fact, I've pretty much quit calling boys' games, because I don't like letting this go. But most folks around here do. The "landing simultaneously" thing is generally the justification I hear.
Interesting Juulie...I do call this, especially when it's a clear step. Not once have I had a partner suggest I pass on it. If they drag the pivot foot slightly I'll let it slide (unless it's due to defensive pressure), but if they pick up the pivot foot & put it back down without either passing or shooting I call the travel (dribbling is not a legal option once the pivot foot is picked up).
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely
He has essentially switched from one pivot foot to another. I would contend this is a travel, yet I rarely see it called, despite the fact that it occurs multiple times in most of the games I watch or officiate.

Yes, as stated above, it's a travel.

But, if we're watching the defense (did the player get open because of an illegal screen? did / will the defender push through the screen? is there a defender that's running at the shooter that I need to watch?), it's sometimes difficult to tell exactly what happened -- did the player switch pivot feet after catching the ball, or start the move just prior to catching the ball? Was it a "short" jump stop? The "benefit of the doubt" goes to the offense here -- don't call the travel unless you're sure it's a travel.