In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Word.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
There's a chance I'm missing something here... and I probably am.

but I've got it's out of bounds and it's B's ball, and the throwin did end when it was legally touched inbounds by B, which happened immediately prior (split second) to the out of bounds.
Yup, you're missing case book play 6.4.5SitB as already cited.

Where you're getting screwed up is in the definition of a throw-in. Take a look at rules 4-42-4&5. To have a throw-in, the ball must be released by the thrower directly into the court. Article 5 also says that the the throw-in ends when the passed ball touches or is legally touched by another player. In the play being discussed, the ball was NEVER released or passed. Ergo....the throw-in never ended.

Make sense now?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
You're full of it too!
I can't break that habit.......always kick that.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Full, your full of it........

7.6.4 SITUATION F: Thrower A1 inadvertently holds the ball through the end-line plane during a throw-in. B1 is able to get his/her hands on the ball and A1 cannot pull it back. RULING: There is no player or team control during a throw in, therefore a held ball is called, resulting in an alternating-possession throw-in. If the original throw-in is an alternating-possession throw-in, Team A still has the arrow following the held ball.
The wording of this play indicates a jumpball whether B1 cleanly takes the ball from A1 or not. Am I reading this correctly, is it always a jump ball? Or can B1 take the ball away from A1 with no jump ball.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
The wording of this play indicates a jumpball whether B1 cleanly takes the ball from A1 or not. Am I reading this correctly, is it always a jump ball? Or can B1 take the ball away from A1 with no jump ball.
Of course B1 can take the ball away.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Okay, if the throwin doesn't end until the "passed" ball is touched on the court….
AP throwin.
B1 grabs ball and immediately pulls it away from A1; no held ball call. Switch the arrow?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Of course B1 can take the ball away.
I agree with you, but the case play does not seem to allow for it. If Bb1 gets hands on ball and A1 can't pull it back then jumpball.
That very scenario takes place when B1 takes the ball from A1.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with you, but the case play does not seem to allow for it. If Bb1 gets hands on ball and A1 can't pull it back then jumpball.
I have seen a case where the player out of bounds making the throw in, places his hand out in front of him, inbounds, palm up so that the ball is simply resting in his hand. If the defensive player then slaps the ball out of his hand, that wouldn't possibly be a held ball, would it?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Unless B1 just yanks it away from A1 suddenly, and hustles away. In that case, the throw-in ends legally.

Also, what Smitty says is correct.

And BTW, if A2 removes the ball from A1's hand in any of these ways, it's illegal.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I have seen a case where the player out of bounds making the throw in, places his hand out in front of him, inbounds, palm up so that the ball is simply resting in his hand. If the defensive player then slaps the ball out of his hand, that wouldn't possibly be a held ball, would it?
Not in my judgement. I presume you are not wanting me to be your definitive source, what does the rule/case play tell you?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not in my judgement. I presume you are not wanting me to be your definitive source, what does the rule/case play tell you?
I think the question was Socratic/rhetorical.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Unless B1 just yanks it away from A1 suddenly, and hustles away. In that case, the throw-in ends legally.
How does the throwin end?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
How does the throwin end?
Ball is touched legally in-bounds.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was simply refuting your claim that by definition taking the ball away from the inbounder when they hold it on the inbounds side of the line is always a held ball. I am assuming, based on the previous rule citation, even though the ball is slapped out of the inbounder's hand and play goes on from there, the arrow is not reversed because the thrower never released the ball, and therefore the throw-in never ended. Seems weird, but that's how it seems to play out.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Ball is touched legally in-bounds.
But it was never passed. Definition states a passed ball has to be touched for the throwin to end.