The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   AP question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41499-ap-question.html)

Adam Wed Jan 30, 2008 02:50pm

AP question

I know I'm missing something, but here's the scenario.
AP throwin for A.
Legal held ball between thrower and B1.
Who gets the ball?

Arrow switches when the throwin ends, which happens when ball is legally touched on the playing court. This tells me it should be B's ball, but the devil on my shoulder keeps telling me it should stay with A. What am I missing, 'cause if the devil on my shoulder is right, then that's a precedent I'd love to go forward with.

wisref2 Wed Jan 30, 2008 02:58pm

that little devil on your shoulder is the coach of A. Ignore him.

SORRY - missed the part that the thrower still had the ball.

Ref in PA Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:03pm

6.4.5 says not to change the arrow and the subsequent throwin will be an AP throwin for A.

fullor30 Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I know I'm missing something, but here's the scenario.
AP throwin for A.
Legal held ball between thrower and B1.
Who gets the ball?

Arrow switches when the throwin ends, which happens when ball is legally touched on the playing court. This tells me it should be B's ball, but the devil on my shoulder keeps telling me it should stay with A. What am I missing, 'cause if the devil on my shoulder is right, then that's a precedent I'd love to go forward with.

Quicky answer without consulting book. I say B gets it, as ball is legally touched in bounds and A happens to be out of bounds, therefore violation on A and B gets ball AND AP arrow.

This is of course a product of A sticking the ball across the inbounds plane enabling B to legally grab ball (as you mentioned). I await the high council's ruling.

Grail Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:07pm

The throw ends after the ball is touched in bounds, but not if the thrower never releases the ball. The throw in must be released directly into the court, thus since no release, no completed throw in. The arrow is pointing A's direction. They get the ball again for an AP throw in.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref in PA
6.4.5 says not to change the arrow and the subsequent throwin will be an AP throwin for A.

Case book paly 6.4.5SitB to be exact. It's the same play. Good catch.

Adam Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:21pm

I like it when the devil on my shoulder is correct. thanks. ;)

fullor30 Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Quicky answer without consulting book. I say B gets it, as ball is legally touched in bounds and A happens to be out of bounds, therefore violation on A and B gets ball AND AP arrow.

This is of course a product of A sticking the ball across the inbounds plane enabling B to legally grab ball (as you mentioned). I await the high council's ruling.

Full, your full of it........

7.6.4 SITUATION F: Thrower A1 inadvertently holds the ball through the end-line plane during a throw-in. B1 is able to get his/her hands on the ball and A1 cannot pull it back. RULING: There is no player or team control during a throw in, therefore a held ball is called, resulting in an alternating-possession throw-in. If the original throw-in is an alternating-possession throw-in, Team A still has the arrow following the held ball.

rainmaker Wed Jan 30, 2008 04:59pm

Quote:

But if he's correct, he's not a devil! The devil only deals in half-truths.

rockyroad Wed Jan 30, 2008 05:26pm

Quote:

What in the world are you doing with M&M Guy on your shoulder? :confused: That has GOT to result in some serious chiropractor time!!:p

tjones1 Wed Jan 30, 2008 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Full, your full of it........

7.6.4 SITUATION F: Thrower A1 inadvertently holds the ball through the end-line plane during a throw-in. B1 is able to get his/her hands on the ball and A1 cannot pull it back. RULING: There is no player or team control during a throw in, therefore a held ball is called, resulting in an alternating-possession throw-in. If the original throw-in is an alternating-possession throw-in, Team A still has the arrow following the held ball.

You're full of it too! :D

Adam Wed Jan 30, 2008 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
But if he's correct, he's not a devil! The devil only deals in half-truths.

I only reported about half of what he said. The rest was pretty high praise for some ref named "Chuck."

rainmaker Wed Jan 30, 2008 06:08pm

Quote:

I only reported about half of what he said. The rest was pretty high praise for some ref named "Chuck."

...half-truth...high praise... chuck... way, way too easy...

Adam Wed Jan 30, 2008 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
What in the world are you doing with M&M Guy on your shoulder? :confused: That has GOT to result in some serious chiropractor time!!:p

Word.

Adam Wed Jan 30, 2008 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
...half-truth...high praise... chuck... way, way too easy...

You're right. I should have known which half was the truth.