The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Team Control Foul Question

Is the NCAA rule regarding TC Fouls the same as NFHS? I ask because in a D-II game I watched this weekend, B1 knocked the ball loose from A1 in the corner, and then in the scramble for the ball, A1 fouled B1 prior to either getting possession. B was in the bonus and they went to the other end to shoot the 1+1.

Does the NCAA have a "loose ball" rule, or did the officials kick this one?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Is the NCAA rule regarding TC Fouls the same as NFHS?
No it is not.

Quote:
I ask because in a D-II game I watched this weekend, B1 knocked the ball loose from A1 in the corner, and then in the scramble for the ball, A1 fouled B1 prior to either getting possession. B was in the bonus and they went to the other end to shoot the 1+1.
That would be incorrect unless the official judged that B1 had possession and a foul occured.

Quote:
Does the NCAA have a "loose ball" rule, or did the officials kick this one?
I have no idea if they actually kicked it, but if Team A still had team control, B1 should not have been shooting any bonus. The rule is different at the NCAA level because during a throw-in a foul by the team that has the ball at their disposal would be still considered a team control foul.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
That would be incorrect unless the official judged that B1 had possession and a foul occured.

I have no idea if they actually kicked it, but if Team A still had team control, B1 should not have been shooting any bonus. The rule is different at the NCAA level because during a throw-in a foul by the team that has the ball at their disposal would be still considered a team control foul.

Peace
Thanks Rut. It was either kicked or the official incorrectly judged B had possessed the ball, as it was right in front of me. One of those semi-strange plays where nobody comes up with it and in a protracted scramble for the ball there's a foul on the team in control.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a different rule.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 05:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks Rut. It was either kicked or the official incorrectly judged B had possessed the ball, as it was right in front of me.
If that is the case they kicked it either way.

Quote:
One of those semi-strange plays where nobody comes up with it and in a protracted scramble for the ball there's a foul on the team in control.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a different rule.
That does not surprise me either. I bet if they did not award FTs, the coaches would have gone nuts more than how they messed up the rule.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
That does not surprise me either. I bet if they did not award FTs, the coaches would have gone nuts more than how they messed up the rule.
I'm sure you're right. In fact, nobody on the court/sidelines/etc seemed to have any question about it. I'm surprised one of the other officials didn't have the question, but it happens to the best of us sometimes!