The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Team Control Foul Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41323-ncaa-team-control-foul-question.html)

jdw3018 Thu Jan 24, 2008 04:05pm

NCAA Team Control Foul Question

Is the NCAA rule regarding TC Fouls the same as NFHS? I ask because in a D-II game I watched this weekend, B1 knocked the ball loose from A1 in the corner, and then in the scramble for the ball, A1 fouled B1 prior to either getting possession. B was in the bonus and they went to the other end to shoot the 1+1.

Does the NCAA have a "loose ball" rule, or did the officials kick this one?

JRutledge Thu Jan 24, 2008 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
Is the NCAA rule regarding TC Fouls the same as NFHS?

No it is not.

Quote:

I ask because in a D-II game I watched this weekend, B1 knocked the ball loose from A1 in the corner, and then in the scramble for the ball, A1 fouled B1 prior to either getting possession. B was in the bonus and they went to the other end to shoot the 1+1.

That would be incorrect unless the official judged that B1 had possession and a foul occured.

Quote:

Does the NCAA have a "loose ball" rule, or did the officials kick this one?

I have no idea if they actually kicked it, but if Team A still had team control, B1 should not have been shooting any bonus. The rule is different at the NCAA level because during a throw-in a foul by the team that has the ball at their disposal would be still considered a team control foul.

Peace

jdw3018 Thu Jan 24, 2008 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
That would be incorrect unless the official judged that B1 had possession and a foul occured.

I have no idea if they actually kicked it, but if Team A still had team control, B1 should not have been shooting any bonus. The rule is different at the NCAA level because during a throw-in a foul by the team that has the ball at their disposal would be still considered a team control foul.

Peace

Thanks Rut. It was either kicked or the official incorrectly judged B had possessed the ball, as it was right in front of me. One of those semi-strange plays where nobody comes up with it and in a protracted scramble for the ball there's a foul on the team in control.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a different rule.

JRutledge Thu Jan 24, 2008 05:06pm

Quote:

Thanks Rut. It was either kicked or the official incorrectly judged B had possessed the ball, as it was right in front of me.

If that is the case they kicked it either way. ;)

Quote:

One of those semi-strange plays where nobody comes up with it and in a protracted scramble for the ball there's a foul on the team in control.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a different rule.

That does not surprise me either. I bet if they did not award FTs, the coaches would have gone nuts more than how they messed up the rule.

Peace

jdw3018 Thu Jan 24, 2008 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
That does not surprise me either. I bet if they did not award FTs, the coaches would have gone nuts more than how they messed up the rule.

I'm sure you're right. In fact, nobody on the court/sidelines/etc seemed to have any question about it. I'm surprised one of the other officials didn't have the question, but it happens to the best of us sometimes! :D