The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 02:39pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Team Control Foul signal -- NCAA

I was observed by my college assignor at a men's D2 game last week. I had a team control foul against the offense for an illegal screen. I reported the foul and gave the player control signal at the table. After the game, the assignor comes in and tells me that's not the signal. He thought it might be the punch but then remembered that was high school. My partners both thought the PC signal was correct.

I just now got a call from the assignor who told me that he had spoken with a D1 assignor who confirmed that the PC signal is not correct and in fact there is no signal for a team control foul in NCAA-M. I went to the manual, and there is no signal listed for a TC foul.

But I'm 100% positive that when the TC foul was introduced, we were told to signal it with the PC signal. Am I imagining that?

To complicate matters, my NCAA rulebook is missing the signals section and I can't get the PDF online book to open up.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I looked at the online PDF book yesterday, and there is no signal listed for team control fouls...
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I remember it like you do Scrappy, and I still give the PC foul signal to the table.

Maybe I should stop.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Team Control

According to the camps I went to this past summer/fall, the Team Control signal is still the punch out at the table. If you look in the manual there is no signal listed for Player control. We were still giving it (hand behind the head) at the camps so I'm still not sure if it was an omission in the manual or the PC signal has been eliminated.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

When the foul was introduced, the signal for TC was the same as PC in Men's College. But I see all the time officials use the HS TC signal to signify TC fouls. I guess it just comes down to who you work for and what they get upset by.

Technically there is no "signal" that is approved.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
But I see all the time officials use the HS TC signal to signify TC fouls.
I'll second that. Saw it at the Wake Forest v. Air Force game yesterday. I actually wondered if that was correct for NCAA-M at the time.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF
According to the camps I went to this past summer/fall, the Team Control signal is still the punch out at the table. If you look in the manual there is no signal listed for Player control. We were still giving it (hand behind the head) at the camps so I'm still not sure if it was an omission in the manual or the PC signal has been eliminated.
The PC signal exists in the online rules book...but no signal for TC which matches most of what's been said here.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

In the online book I see both situations. For NCAA-M there is a PC signal, but no team control. In the NCAA-W section, there is a team control signal, but no PC signal.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

I also noticed the signal for excessive contact in the NCAA-M section. I don't think I've seen that before. It appears that you first make the intentional signal, then bring the fists straight down. Is that correct?
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
In the online book I see both situations. For NCAA-M there is a PC signal, but no team control. In the NCAA-W section, there is a team control signal, but no PC signal.
Good point, BITS...I was looking at men's only.

I didn't know that there wasn't a PC sign in NCAA-W...
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Good point, BITS...I was looking at men's only.

I didn't know that there wasn't a PC sign in NCAA-W...
Neither did I until I went looking
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:14pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I also noticed the signal for excessive contact in the NCAA-M section. I don't think I've seen that before. It appears that you first make the intentional signal, then bring the fists straight down. Is that correct?
Yes.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
But I'm 100% positive that when the TC foul was introduced, we were told to signal it with the PC signal. Am I imagining that?
The 2006 book (which is what I have handy) has the PC foul signal (hand behind head) being used for both PC and TC fouls for NCAAM.

It also has the TC foul signal (punch) beuing used for both TC and PC fouls for NCAAW.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 06:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The 2006 book (which is what I have handy) has the PC foul signal (hand behind head) being used for both PC and TC fouls for NCAAM.
Thank you. I emailed that info to my assignor with the assurance that I wouldn't use it anymore -- but that I was glad to know I wasn't crazy.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Yah if you recall before the Team control signal came in for women, the went with the player control signal on player control fouls. When a team control foul is called in the mens game i just put my first up for the foul and point in the direction. Women used to do the same. When the punch came in for a team control foul, the women use it for their player control foul as well. For the men we still go behind the head for a player control foul and do not jab. Team control fouls i would just signal with the foul signal and point the direction. Hope this helps.

Tommy