The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkullman9
I believe Pennsylvania just changed this rule this year. The count now ends when the ball is touched.
I have not been instructed that this is the case, neither is there an exception on the PIAA website as you have indicated above. So, I do NOT believe PA changed the rule this year, nor did the NFHS. I would double check your sources.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
I have not been instructed that this is the case, neither is there an exception on the PIAA website as you have indicated above. So, I do NOT believe PA changed the rule this year, nor did the NFHS. I would double check your sources.
He's just confused by the rule change that states that a throw-in now ends when legally touched. Of course, that has nothing to do with the five-second count. He's probably a newer official.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
Just curious how many have called the 10-second violation when the ball is in the air over the frontcourt, but has not yet attained FC status.

To do otherwise is to screw the defensive team.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Nevada,

I'm laughing a little bit to myself here. If you read my actual words anywhere near as clearly as you read the rules, you would see that I do not advocate any position on this other than your own. Nor did I state that I had done otherwise. I merely asked how many had actually made this call, what with all the talk around here about being just a "little" slow with 10 second counts, etc.

Save the smacking-his-head emoticon for when I've actually said something contrary to what you believe.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Inigo, reread Nevada's post. He didn't accuse you of anything. Looks to me like his emoticon is raising his hand, not smacking his head.

FWIW, I've made the call.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
Nevada,

I'm laughing a little bit to myself here. If you read my actual words anywhere near as clearly as you read the rules, you would see that I do not advocate any position on this other than your own. Nor did I state that I had done otherwise. I merely asked how many had actually made this call, what with all the talk around here about being just a "little" slow with 10 second counts, etc.

Save the smacking-his-head emoticon for when I've actually said something contrary to what you believe.
You misunderstand my post.
I never state or implied that you did anything of the sort. I merely stated a fact that if an official fails to properly enforce the rule, then the defense is getting screwed.

Also, if you look more closely at the emoticon that I used, you will see that it is merely a little guy waving, not a "smacking-his-head" shot towards you. In fact, it was meant to represent ME raising my hand to indicate that I am someone who has done as you asked.

PS This is the head smack
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Or this one
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

duly noted
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
During a designated spot throwin in the back court by A-1, the short pass just bounces on the court, in the backcourt, untouched by anyone for ...... I don't remember the rest of the question, but I remember that the question was silly because, in a real game, about nine players would be trying to get their hands on the ball as soon as possible.
I've seen this in a game before. The thrower rolled the ball right down the middle of the court and the person that it was being passed to walked with the ball all the way to half court before he picked it up. The thrower went sprinting down the court to get into position. I was trail on that play and even if I had been keeping a backcourt count they would have been fine.

That is a good point though about the five second count ending but when does then 10 count start?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiogima
That is a good point though about the five second count ending but when does then 10 count start?
When the ball is controlled in the backcourt.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
When the ball is controlled in the backcourt.
But say the ball stops, how long do you wait for them to establish possession? What if the player just stands there and waits for the coach to finish yelling out instructions?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiogima
But say the ball stops, how long do you wait for them to establish possession? What if the player just stands there and waits for the coach to finish yelling out instructions?
Then you just wait until the ball is possessed. Also, see post #15:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Double Ts for "allowing the game to turn into an actionless contest." Go to POI (readminster the throw-in). If it happens again, terminate the game and call the assinger / conference / state, etc.
But this is only if neither team is going to grab the ball. If A is awaiting instructions and B is playing a packed in defense and waiting for A to move, you have to judge whether A is intentionally allowing the game to develop into an actionless contest.

In other words, it will probably never happen to you.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Old Timers Please Help !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I seem to remember an IAABO Refresher Exam question, from about ten or fifteen years ago, that had a very unusual question. During a designated spot throwin in the back court by A-1, the short pass just bounces on the court, in the backcourt, untouched by anyone for ...... I don't remember the rest of the question, but I remember that the question was silly because, in a real game, about nine players would be trying to get their hands on the ball as soon as possible. The Exam came after the NFHS changed from the five second count ending on the catch of the throwin, to the release of the throwin. Do any IAABO members remember this question, its wording, or the given answer?
Yesterday I spent about an hour perusing IAABO Exams, and IAABO Refresher Exams, from the past 28 years, without finding this question. Do any of you veteran IAABO members remember this question? Can anybody locate the question? I do remember that this was the most ridiculous question to ever appear on an IAABO exam of any type.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Then you just wait until the ball is possessed.
In other words, it will probably never happen to you.
Let's hope not!!!

Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Inigo, reread Nevada's post. He didn't accuse you of anything. Looks to me like his emoticon is raising his hand, not smacking his head.

FWIW, I've made the call.
me, too.