The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

For those of us stuck in the past using 4-man mechanics, does anyone have a good suggestion for how to indicate the 25-second clock is about to expire?
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Indicate to whom Ed? The QB?, the coach?
We're not out there to "coach" however I have on occasion verbally indicated by saying something like "hurry up", or "5 seconds".
Most of the time I don't do that. A flag usually fixes the problem.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

I hate flags, after all, nobody came to the game to see me.

For those who work 5-man mechanics the BJ indicates 5-seconds remaining to whomever cares. His position is in the field of view of the QB, the one player who can stop his team from being penalized.

In 4-man mechanics the R has the 25-second clock and he stands in back of the QB. You can't give the 25-second clock to the U, he has enough to do.

Personally, I think 5-seconds is too short. As the R I give a verbal "10 seconds" if the team has not started to call signals. If the QB is snapping at 23 to 24 seconds I kindly let him and his coach know they are close on time.

I am interested in hearing how others who unfortunately work 4-man mechanics handle the 25-second clock.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Isn't there supposed to be a visual signal now by the back judge when the 25 reaches 20? That's not just in my state, is it?

What you'd do in four-man (the original question) I have no idea. But there's been a lot of talk in my association about how you're supposed to signal the impending end of the 25 second clock.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

In Wyoming, where we have used the 25 second signal for years, we just inform the coach if we are working 4 man, that there is no signal. Most of our 4 man games are JV and lower. On occasion we have been asked by the coach who will be giving the signal, and we just politely respond that that is a 5 man mechanic...
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Certainly agree that no one likes to see flags.
10 seconds vs 5 seconds would be better. The "R" is the only logical choice to keep the play clock.

I'm not worried about them being close as they can take right up to 25 all night long if that's their game plan. It's when we let them go over the 25 time and time again as I feel some officials let happen that bothers me.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Certainly agree that no one likes to see flags.
10 seconds vs 5 seconds would be better. The "R" is the only logical choice to keep the play clock.

I'm not worried about them being close as they can take right up to 25 all night long if that's their game plan. It's when we let them go over the 25 time and time again as I feel some officials let happen that bothers me.
What is worst is when officials go three and one-half quarters being lax on the 25-second clock, then suddenly enforce it in the final minutes.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

No question about it Ed. That is a problem.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Good point on 4 vs. 5. If they want a signal, tell em to hire 5 or install a 25-second clock.

Since I heard about this new mechanic, I've thought that it will cause more problems than it will solve, particularly if the 'chop' is used. I never thought there was anything 'broke' that needed to be fixed. As mentioned earlier, a flag early in the game usually solves the problem.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 07:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Canadian Philosophy

I am somewhat of a minimalist. I try to only throw a flag if it's absolutely necessary.

Here in the GWN, we have a 20s play clock, but it starts on the RFP, at the discretion of the R and it called by the R. I wear a Timex watch while I'm the WH.

If it is obvious that a team is taking a long time, I verbalize "10 seconds". They know that they have 10s to snap the ball. In reality most WHs give 20+ seconds depending on the level of ball. So when I say 10s, they really have 12 or 13. At that point, 12 ro 13s is plenty. Use your voice - prevent a foul. Works almost 100% of the time.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

10 vs 5....

In a 5 man, I've seen some BJ's that say "10 seconds" out loud or "Hustle" which the Umpire then relays to the offense, either by repeating "hustle" or saying "10 seconds" then at 5, the BJ yells out "5" and begins the countdown over his head. I don't think you necessarily need the umpire to say anything, I think the BJ should just start the count at 5. The team should be up to the line by then anyway and ready to put the ball in play. Some will say that is helping coach out on the field, and they may be right, but its also preventive officiating and helps to keep the game moving.

In a 4 man, the ref basically says the same thing. At 5 he shouts out five and then begins the silent countdown above his head.

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure its consistent the whole game. As some have already stated, I don't like throwing flags if it can be prevented. If you're doing it for both teams, they have the same advantage. I guess it'd depend on your state associations or preference. Of course, it'd be nice if each school could afford a 25 second clock, but since that's unlikely, the officials are it....