The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When does the count end? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40960-when-does-count-end.html)

curtstrouth Fri Jan 11, 2008 01:04pm

When does the count end?

When does a 5 second and 10 second count end?

1. At the release of the pass by the passer

or

2. When the pass is legally touched on an inbounds pass or touched in the frontcourt

Ref in PA Fri Jan 11, 2008 01:10pm

For an inbounds pass, the 5 second count ends on the release by the inbounder.

For a pass from backcourt to frontcourt, the 10 second count ends when the ball strikes something with frontcourt status, thus giving the ball frontcourt status (or the ball goes oob). The 10 second count ends when the ball achieves frontcourt status either by pass or by the dibbler getting both feet and the ball in the frontcourt.

Edited: Also the 10 second count begins when the ball is controled in backcourt. The clock should be started (chopped) when the ball is touched legally inbounds.

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 11, 2008 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref in PA
or by the dibbler getting both feet and the ball in the frontcourt.

Did you mean the Diebler? :D

Ref in PA Fri Jan 11, 2008 01:33pm

Vanna can I buy and "R"?

Dribbler! (with apologies to the famous Jon Diebler). ;)

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 11, 2008 01:39pm

Quote:

Vanna can I buy and "R"?

Dribbler! (with apologies to the famous Jon Diebler). ;)

Do you also want to buy an "R"? Nyork, nyork, nyork. :D

Hey - notice all the smiley faces.

Ref in PA Fri Jan 11, 2008 01:41pm

Maybe I should just give up on this thread. :p

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 11, 2008 01:44pm

Quote:

Maybe I should just give up on this thread. :p

Do you mean... oh wait - you spelled everything correctly. Take a cookie out of petty cash. :D

Again - note all the smiley faces. We're all just fiends here, er, I mean friends.

Adam Fri Jan 11, 2008 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtstrouth

or

2. When the pass is legally touched on an inbounds pass or touched in the frontcourt

3. When my arm stops swinging.

The actual answer is both.

During a throwin, it's 1.
During a backcourt count, it's 2.

inigo montoya Fri Jan 11, 2008 02:49pm

Just curious how many have called the 10-second violation when the ball is in the air over the frontcourt, but has not yet attained FC status.

kkullman9 Fri Jan 11, 2008 03:05pm

Quote:

For an inbounds pass, the 5 second count ends on the release by the inbounder.

For a pass from backcourt to frontcourt, the 10 second count ends when the ball strikes something with frontcourt status, thus giving the ball frontcourt status (or the ball goes oob). The 10 second count ends when the ball achieves frontcourt status either by pass or by the dibbler getting both feet and the ball in the frontcourt.

Edited: Also the 10 second count begins when the ball is controled in backcourt. The clock should be started (chopped) when the ball is touched legally inbounds.

I believe Pennsylvania just changed this rule this year. The count now ends when the ball is touched.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 11, 2008 04:47pm

Quote:

1) At the end of 5 seconds.

2) At the end of 10 seconds.

We're always here for ya.

ca_rumperee Fri Jan 11, 2008 08:32pm

Without reading ahead...

Quote:

or

A 5-second count on inbounds play ends when the ball leaves the passers hands in the direction of the court.

A 10-second count in the back court ends when the ball is touched by a player in the front-court.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 11, 2008 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
A 10-second count in the back court ends when the ball is touched by a player in the front-court.

Oh? What if the ball hits <b>in</b> the frontcourt <b>before</b> it is touched by a player in the frontcourt?

Methinks you might want to sneak a peek at case book play 9.8SitB.

Or alternatively, maybe you can call it using advantage/disadvantage.:)

BillyMac Sat Jan 12, 2008 03:33pm

Old IAABO Refresher Exam Question

I seem to remember an IAABO Refresher Exam question, from about ten or fifteen years ago, that had a very unusual question. Please don't make me look back at all my old exams to find the correct wording of the question, and answer, but I went something like this.

During a designated spot throwin in the back court by A-1, the short pass just bounces on the court, in the backcourt, untouched by anyone for ...... I don't remember the rest of the question, but I remember that the question was silly because, in a real game, about nine players would be trying to get their hands on the ball as soon as possible. The Exam came after the NFHS changed from the five second count ending on the catch of the throwin, to the release of the throwin.

Do any IAABO members remember this question, its wording, or the given answer?

By the rules, in a hypothetical situation, what happens if nobody wants to pick up that ball. The thrower hasn't violated because the ball has been released in less than five seconds. The clock hasn't started, because it hasn't been touched inbounds. A ten second count hasn't started because there is no team control established. Hypothetically, by NFHS rules, how long can that ball stay there on the court?

bob jenkins Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
By the rules, in a hypothetical situation, what happens if nobody wants to pick up that ball. The thrower hasn't violated because the ball has been released in less than five seconds. The clock hasn't started, because it hasn't been touched inbounds. A ten second count hasn't started because there is no team control established. Hypothetically, by NFHS rules, how long can that ball stay there on the court?

Double Ts for "allowing the game to turn into an actionless contest." Go to POI (readminster the throw-in). If it happens again, terminate the game and call the assinger / conference / state, etc.