The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
When does the count end?

When does a 5 second and 10 second count end?

1. At the release of the pass by the passer

or

2. When the pass is legally touched on an inbounds pass or touched in the frontcourt
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 481
For an inbounds pass, the 5 second count ends on the release by the inbounder.

For a pass from backcourt to frontcourt, the 10 second count ends when the ball strikes something with frontcourt status, thus giving the ball frontcourt status (or the ball goes oob). The 10 second count ends when the ball achieves frontcourt status either by pass or by the dibbler getting both feet and the ball in the frontcourt.

Edited: Also the 10 second count begins when the ball is controled in backcourt. The clock should be started (chopped) when the ball is touched legally inbounds.
__________________
I only wanna know ...
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
or by the dibbler getting both feet and the ball in the frontcourt.
Did you mean the Diebler?
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 481
Vanna can I buy and "R"?

Dribbler! (with apologies to the famous Jon Diebler).
__________________
I only wanna know ...
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
Vanna can I buy and "R"?

Dribbler! (with apologies to the famous Jon Diebler).
Do you also want to buy an "R"? Nyork, nyork, nyork.

Hey - notice all the smiley faces.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 481
Maybe I should just give up on this thread.
__________________
I only wanna know ...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
Maybe I should just give up on this thread.
Do you mean... oh wait - you spelled everything correctly. Take a cookie out of petty cash.

Again - note all the smiley faces. We're all just fiends here, er, I mean friends.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:31pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtstrouth
When does a 5 second and 10 second count end?

1. At the release of the pass by the passer

or

2. When the pass is legally touched on an inbounds pass or touched in the frontcourt
3. When my arm stops swinging.

The actual answer is both.

During a throwin, it's 1.
During a backcourt count, it's 2.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 124
Just curious how many have called the 10-second violation when the ball is in the air over the frontcourt, but has not yet attained FC status.
__________________
Are there rocks ahead? If there are, we all be dead!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Carlisle, PA
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
For an inbounds pass, the 5 second count ends on the release by the inbounder.

For a pass from backcourt to frontcourt, the 10 second count ends when the ball strikes something with frontcourt status, thus giving the ball frontcourt status (or the ball goes oob). The 10 second count ends when the ball achieves frontcourt status either by pass or by the dibbler getting both feet and the ball in the frontcourt.

Edited: Also the 10 second count begins when the ball is controled in backcourt. The clock should be started (chopped) when the ball is touched legally inbounds.
I believe Pennsylvania just changed this rule this year. The count now ends when the ball is touched.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:47pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtstrouth
When does a 5 second and 10 second count end?
1) At the end of 5 seconds.

2) At the end of 10 seconds.


We're always here for ya.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 208
Without reading ahead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtstrouth
When does a 5 second and 10 second count end?

1. At the release of the pass by the passer

or

2. When the pass is legally touched on an inbounds pass or touched in the frontcourt
A 5-second count on inbounds play ends when the ball leaves the passers hands in the direction of the court.

A 10-second count in the back court ends when the ball is touched by a player in the front-court.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 09:15pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
A 10-second count in the back court ends when the ball is touched by a player in the front-court.
Oh? What if the ball hits in the frontcourt before it is touched by a player in the frontcourt?

Methinks you might want to sneak a peek at case book play 9.8SitB.

Or alternatively, maybe you can call it using advantage/disadvantage.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 17,716
Old IAABO Refresher Exam Question

I seem to remember an IAABO Refresher Exam question, from about ten or fifteen years ago, that had a very unusual question. Please don't make me look back at all my old exams to find the correct wording of the question, and answer, but I went something like this.

During a designated spot throwin in the back court by A-1, the short pass just bounces on the court, in the backcourt, untouched by anyone for ...... I don't remember the rest of the question, but I remember that the question was silly because, in a real game, about nine players would be trying to get their hands on the ball as soon as possible. The Exam came after the NFHS changed from the five second count ending on the catch of the throwin, to the release of the throwin.

Do any IAABO members remember this question, its wording, or the given answer?

By the rules, in a hypothetical situation, what happens if nobody wants to pick up that ball. The thrower hasn't violated because the ball has been released in less than five seconds. The clock hasn't started, because it hasn't been touched inbounds. A ten second count hasn't started because there is no team control established. Hypothetically, by NFHS rules, how long can that ball stay there on the court?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 13, 2008 at 12:26pm.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
By the rules, in a hypothetical situation, what happens if nobody wants to pick up that ball. The thrower hasn't violated because the ball has been released in less than five seconds. The clock hasn't started, because it hasn't been touched inbounds. A ten second count hasn't started because there is no team control established. Hypothetically, by NFHS rules, how long can that ball stay there on the court?
Double Ts for "allowing the game to turn into an actionless contest." Go to POI (readminster the throw-in). If it happens again, terminate the game and call the assinger / conference / state, etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
25 second count.... Mike51 Football 12 Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:11pm
ten second count chas Basketball 8 Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:11am
25-second count Forksref Football 33 Tue Aug 24, 2004 04:08pm
25-second Count with 4-man Ed Hickland Football 10 Mon Aug 23, 2004 04:59pm
10 second count Tom Grady Lacrosse 1 Fri Apr 23, 2004 09:49pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1